MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Humbly asking for assistance with Ground Plane - SOLVED
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Humbly asking for assistance with Ground Plane - SOLVED
abelovesfun
Hello,

I've never had this issue before, and I'm having trouble finding more information as to what I did wrong.

I usually create my ground plane with a polygon, change the isolation, and go from there in Eagle. Up until now, I've had no issues.

Yesterday I was troubleshooting a prototype PCB and realized that none of my panel grounds (connected to real ground via a header) were connected.

Zooming in, I saw the following:

Sure enough, that blue line is too small, and didn't make it to the gerbers, which I neglected to check. Doh!

What setting controls the "width" of that line in Eagle?

Thanks,
Abe
av500
the wire width of the polygon, try something like 8 mil
abelovesfun
av500 wrote:
the wire width of the polygon, try something like 8 mil

Thanks! that did it!
EATyourGUITAR
8 mil could be the minimum reliable trace width of a cheap fab. Don't go smaller than 8 mil unless you have experience or trust in a 6 mil Fab shop. For single sided diy etch I would go bigger but I would also increase the isolation gap. Sometimes 2 layer boards sold as kits are difficult to solder with a massive heatsink and a cheap soldering iron so I would even consider 6 mil from a good 6 mil Fab or 8 mil with only one side connected. All 4 sides with close gap 8 mil 2 oz copper is harder to heat up. I would avoid it if selling kits.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1