MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Q961 Sequencer Interface
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author Q961 Sequencer Interface
HowDoIKnow
Hi all

How useful is this module with the 960 sequencer ? seriously, i just don't get it

I'm about to put an order in to dotcom and wonder if I need bother getting the 961, as I am about to receive a MOS-LAB 960 with the twin bus output. The Q963 I bought second hand a while ago is thus made redundant....unless it can be re-purposed for anything?????

Thanks

hdik
kcd06
I dont have a q961, so cant comment on that.

The q963 trigger bus otoh requires a specifies connector on the back of the q960 sequencer to work, or daisychained from another q963 which is connected to the sequencer; I doubt--but dont know for certain--that the MOSLAB equivalent of the dotcom sequencer has the appropriate connection
JohnLRice
I have a Q961 Sequencer Interface and I think it's pretty cool but I rarely use it. I don't have a 960 style sequencer anymore either though, but I keep the Q961 around because it's the only multiple input OR processor I have. It can be used to process gates from all sorts of sources so it can be quite handy.

With the Mos-Lab 960 that has the trigger buss built in I think the Q961 isn't a necessity at all but you could still use it. For instance you could set up a trigger pattern on your 960 and plug the bus output into the Q961, and then patch several other gate outputs of the 960 into a sequential switch and patch the switch output into the Q961 as well, to create either a longer but predictable pattern or a semi-predictable pattern, depending on how you clock/shift the switch.
Mark11Audio
HowDoIKnow wrote:
Hi all

How useful is this module with the 960 sequencer ? seriously, i just don't get it

I'm about to put an order in to dotcom and wonder if I need bother getting the 961, as I am about to receive a MOS-LAB 960 with the twin bus output. The Q963 I bought second hand a while ago is thus made redundant....unless it can be re-purposed for anything?????

Thanks

hdik

My $.02 cent is for $20.00 more you can get a Q962 which in my opinion would be far more useful than the 961 in this instance.

~M~
sbuge
Q961 is a little different than q963 and it has useful features.

First of all you can install it to anywhere in your system and you can use it to other gates also (just what JLR said). Multiple input OR module is very handy.

Also the feature that you can vary the leght of the super short triggers is really handy (so that you can make just right lenght gates from short triggers).

Sometimes I also use this to amplify/level my low voltage triggers (from other gear) so that I can fire my picky envelope generators.
kindredlost
I use the Q961 Interface to truncate the gate times from the Q960. The gate time on the Q960 is always 100% so if you need a shorter gate time for certain steps then you can use the Q961 to do this. It makes the Q960 a bit more dynamic sounding. I also use the Q961 for stretching gates from other sources. It is an invaluable module for that and can be a real help in a patch which isn't working quite the way it should. I have two of the Q961's so it is an important module for my work but maybe not as much so for others.
gregae
deleted
HowDoIKnow
Thanks for your replies - that looks like 2 for, 2 against!

@JLR I have a Q961 Sequencer Interface and I think it's pretty cool but I rarely use it. There is a big risk my entire modular will be like that hihi

@Mark11Audio - a Q962 is on the order book!

@sbuge/kindredlost - how would you make a gate shorter with this seriously, i just don't get it - it can obviously make them longer...

cheers

hdik
sbuge
After q961 gets more than +1.5V trigger/gate:

"Column A produces" a gate (+5V) that has ON-time equal length of the trigger recieved.

"Column B produces" a gate that has ON-time from 40ms to 4 seconds ... so if your gate signal inserted to Column B has ON-time of 150ms you can adjust it all the way down to 40ms.

...and with the word produces I mean that the output is always the one and only output in the bottom of the module...
HowDoIKnow
very frustrating I thought it only shortened the gate, did not fully understand the time frame for the control of the B column inputs <duh>

Actually sounds quite interesting now, so will probably add it to the slowly expanding pre-Brexit dotcom order. Thanks.

hdik
ranix
The A-column inputs are pretty good too - it's a buffering OR. I use the Q961 frequently, and have two. You can start without it and buy one when you decide you need it, when you reach for it and it's not there. You'll be in the middle of a patch and say "I wish I could do..." and realize it's what you want.
sbuge
I agree!

well said ranix
This could be also a good advice for most new modules that we drool.
hamildad
HowDoIKnow wrote:
so will probably add it to the slowly expanding pre-Brexit dotcom order.

Wondering if the USA trade deals will have some sweetener for US>UK imports and things might be cheaper.

if I was you, I'd be stocking up on my Corsynth,COTK,Moon and SynthWerk goodies.

that said, I did a cheeky VC-340 & MA20 VCF purchase under the excuse of imminent Brexit price hikes...
ranix
hamildad wrote:
HowDoIKnow wrote:
so will probably add it to the slowly expanding pre-Brexit dotcom order.

Wondering if the USA trade deals will have some sweetener for US>UK imports and things might be cheaper.

I'm expecting this. Assuming there's no changing of the guard in the USA with the next election there will almost certainly be a new trade agreement between the US and UK

Actually, this is happening much sooner than I thought. I expect a new trade agreement before the end of 2019 if this really happens in October
HowDoIKnow
It's the pound going down the toilet compared to every other currency apart from the North Korean Cabage that worries me.

I've got friends seriously stockpiling anchovies and Proseco. 5U will be low on the list

Hdik
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1