MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Buchla 400 audio
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author Buchla 400 audio
lumin
Had never heard a 400 before this. Pretty interesting tone. They did the Bladerunner thing very well.

sempervirent
Sounds great. Listened to this on loop for a while. Definitely has a Blade Runner vibe (suggested by the visuals of course). Great to hear more audio from the 400 and also the 700 (with the new Shasta Cults release) calling to mind "what might have been" had these machines become more widely available.
ryangaston
*** Note—edited due to some conflicting accounts regarding the creation of Gaburo's Re-Run. ***

sempervirent wrote:
Great to hear more audio from the 400 and also the 700 (with the new Shasta Cults release) calling to mind "what might have been" had these machines become more widely available.

100% agree! I'm super fascinated by the Touché/400/700 in particular...though I think out of the three the 400 is most interesting to me (for reasons I can't quite explain!).

There's definitely more 400 music out there, but seldom does it come with the obvious "this is a Buchla 400" label.

Martin Bartlett's electronic music, for instance, heavily relied on the 400 (eventually using an internal programming language/structure of his own devising, called MABEL). Recently a bunch of his archived recordings were released on Arc Light (Anecdotal Electronics & Ankle On).

I don't have program notes, but based on the sounds, dates, and Bartlett's known affiliation with the 400, this seems an awwwwful lot like some more 400 music, and I absolutely love it:

And this one is quite fantastic as well:

Ken Gaburo's Re-Run has been cited as having been made on a 400 (alternative sources cite the sound source as being a Music Easel, but a 400 seems likely). So was much of the electronic portion of Subotnick's Double Life of Amphibians. There's a bunch out there, if you do a bit of digging. Such a cool instrument
Dilibob
[quote="ryangaston"]
sempervirent wrote:
Great to hear more audio from the 400 and also the 700 ..

100% agree! I'm super fascinated by the Touché/400/700 in particular...though I think out of the three the 400 is most interesting to me (for reasons I can't quite explain!).

There's definitely more 400 music out there, but seldom does it come with the obvious "this is a Buchla 400" label.

Martin Bartlett's electronic music, for instance, heavily relied on the 400 (eventually using an internal programming language/structure of his own devising, called MABEL). Recently a bunch of his archived recordings were released on Arc Light (Anecdotal Electronics & Ankle On).

I don't have program notes, but based on the sounds, dates, and Bartlett's known affiliation with the 400, this seems an awwwwful lot like some more 400 music, and I absolutely love it:

Ken Gaburo's Re-Run was also done on a 400, as was much of the electronic portion of Subotnick's Double Life of Amphibians. There's a bunch out there, if you do a bit of digging. Such a cool instrument
This is excellent, i am really interested especially in the buchla used within orchestra settings.
wyrtti
Oh wow. That first Martin Bartlett piece was fantastic. As was the video that started this thread. I’d only heard the Touche before, of the rarer Buchlas.

Thank you all for digging these up!
MindMachine
I have the Martin Bartlett cd. You may also be interested in:

Rosenboom and Buchla - Collaboration in Performance (300 Series Computer Controlled Buchla and Steinway Piano) I think only on vinyl.

David Rosenboom - Future Travel (Touche and 300 Series) Also now on cd.
ryangaston
MindMachine wrote:
I have the Martin Bartlett cd. You may also be interested in:

Rosenboom and Buchla - Collaboration in Performance (300 Series Computer Controlled Buchla and Steinway Piano) I think only on vinyl.

David Rosenboom - Future Travel (Touche and 300 Series) Also now on cd.

David's music is great, lots of Touché for sure (naturally, as he was one of the designers). There's also a lot of Touché on Daytime Viewing...a pretty odd record, which I love.

He also has a couple of 300-oriented pieces in his In the Beginning suite—there are scores for those available on his website as well, complete with PATCH-IV programs and patch diagrams. He's historically quite good about documenting his work, super interesting stuff all in all.
mestlick
I love all the FM tones, but with the modular/Buchla style control (instead of MIDI to a DX7).

Nord Modular has comprehensive FM and can get to similar places.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1