MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

I/O odules necessary or not?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author I/O odules necessary or not?
steffie268
Hello,

I've finally given in to the temptation and have ordered a Grendel DC2 + expander module. It has a 1/4" line level output as well as a 1/8" modular level output, so interfacing with either my mixer or with other modules shouldn't be any problem.
But I would also like to add some effects modules to my rack - I would like to use them with the channel inserts and aux sends on my mixer. I've been told that in this case dedicated input and output modules might not be necessary.
My mixer is a Midas DM16, a very cheap analogue desk, in case that is relevant.
I could either have 2 effects, each with their own I/O module(s) or I could have 3 efffets, hence the importance of my question wink
Thanks in advance for any feedback or advice.

grtz
electricanada
You don't need one to go into an external mixer or amp. If you have a portable case, a headphone out might be useful though.
VM
I just run a patch cable from the "mix out" of the expander into my modular rack, and it gets processed from there, or goes straight to the 4ms Listen Four Quarters output module.

You could run the 1/4" line out to your mixer and apply effects as individual sends, but I don't think that requires an input module back into eurorack. How do you plan to patch modules into the mixer 1/4" effect send inputs, just out of interest?

[edit bc pic didn't show what I actually wanted to show...]
johny_gtr
I use Intellijel headphones out and stereo outs during jams and live performances. I try no to use them during record because I think that outs can slightly modify the sound from modular system
steffie268
VM wrote:
I just run a patch cable from the "mix out" of the expander into my modular rack, and it gets processed from there, or goes straight to the 4ms Listen Four Quarters output module.

You could run the 1/4" line out to your mixer and apply effects as individual sends, but I don't think that requires an input module back into eurorack. How do you plan to patch modules into the mixer 1/4" effect send inputs, just out of interest?

[edit bc pic didn't show what I actually wanted to show...]

For the individual channel inserts I'd have to use either standard insert cables and make a passive 1/4" to 1/8" converter module or make some custom 1/4" to 1/8" insert cables...
cornutt
Try it and see. The worst thing that can happen is that it might be noisy, due to the mixer's output levels not being high enough. In that case, there are modules specifically for making effects loops that will help.
suboptimal
In larger systems they serve as a useful fixed point for interaction with other tools, if nothing else. They can also resolve noise and gain staging problems, if you have them, but you should not get one to solve problems you don't have.
moremagic
for me, they are as much a necessity as the rest of the modular. i can plug my guitar to my input modules & a speaker straight to my output -- the most expensive bedroom amp in the world, and it aint even a combo!
steffie268
Thanks to all for the replies.
I'll try it and if it doesn't work properly I can still get some I/O modules, I just need to make sure to save some rackspace and power just in case...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1