MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

fun/interesting cheap recorders??
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Author fun/interesting cheap recorders??
lilnoah95
Hi yall, I'm wonder if anyone knows of any janky recorders that have an interesting character. I'm looking for something cheap and non-professional that might add an interesting or weird color to the sounds its recording. It doesn't have to record sound "accurately," just has to provide an interesting flavor, im probably going to mangle the samples beyond recognition anyway. cheers
Be Sandy?
A dictation machine or similar type of (probably mono) portable cassette recorder perhaps. Millions of them around for very little money.
unrecordings
get one of those cheapy little fm transmitters and record from a similarly cheapy fm radio
lilnoah95
word, thx for the cool suggestions! i actually stumbled upon a free dictation machine (digital) but tbh it doesn't sound much different than my iphone. definitely will keep my eyes open for more of these at thrift stores etc.

unrecordings - very sick tip i will have to try that once im settled in my new place
chromakey
What sort of things are you interested in recording/sampling and in what sort of environment? Do you want the sound, or are you looking to record ambience too? I think most of the character of recorded sound comes from the microphone(s) and placement, and there are many inexpensive options. If you're mangling the samples with postprocessing, consider recording at higher rates (say, 96KHz or beyond), it gives you better options for processing if you're going to stretch time and/or EQ heavily, etc.
lilnoah95
thats a great point chroma! I guess I'm looking to record all kinds of sounds - speech, short sounds, ambience. It's pretty important that the recording device is cheap and portable, but I don't really care if it captures the sounds "accurately" as long as it has character
unrecordings
lilnoah95 wrote:
thats a great point chroma! I guess I'm looking to record all kinds of sounds - speech, short sounds, ambience. It's pretty important that the recording device is cheap and portable, but I don't really care if it captures the sounds "accurately" as long as it has character

so you're looking for lo-fi ?
sandy's recommendation of a dictation machine is a good one, but you're looking for one that works on cassettes, or even better microcassettes
cptnal
Have a look at Hainbach's YouTube channel. He does interesting stuff with dictaphones.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Page 1 of 1