MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

I've built a small Eurorack system
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author I've built a small Eurorack system
DJFonzi
It makes me appreciate MU SO MUCH!
Yes, it's tiny, which I now understand the appeal, as I'm on year 3 living in a travel trailer.
But man, all other build issues aside, 3.5mm plugs just feel cheap. The whole thing is just fiddly. All it's done is make me long for my "real" modular.
I will say that the options available make shopping fun. My bank balance is glad we went MU to begin with!
lisa
I think anything smaller than XLR connectors just feels cheap. screaming goo yo
DJFonzi
lisa wrote:

I think 1/4" and TT are nice. They feel secure to me.
In my own ideal world, Moog would've used bananas, and hopefully everyone since then would've used the same.
Gandalf
And what is wrong with bananas (4mm)!!!! ???? They are only a little bigger than 3.5mm but are substantially more robust (used by just about every piece of test equipment in the world) and can easily compete with 1/4"
You obviously haven't seen the Panther family from ELBY Designs which are 3U modules with 4mm jacks
EPTC
lisa wrote:

No way, still too flimsy. DB25!
DJFonzi
Gandalf wrote:
And what is wrong with bananas (4mm)!!!! ???? They are only a little bigger than 3.5mm but are substantially more robust (used by just about every piece of test equipment in the world) and can easily compete with 1/4"
You obviously haven't seen the Panther family from ELBY Designs which are 3U modules with 4mm jacks

I think you've misread something.
kindredlost
In my ideal universe all Euro would be also built for 5U. Of course the real world is dominant so I have to concede to it.
I have a few rebuilds in 5U from Euro but not enough. I still want the O_c and Plaits as well as a proper working build of the SEM filter from Moogah (Synthcube). I built mine but it is not working correctly. waah I'm kind of lame at DIY.
So for me if there is something I really, really want in 5U but only have limited funds or skills then it will make it into the Eurorack form.

Yes, we have no bananas sad banana we have no bananas today.
mome rath
kindredlost wrote:
still want the O_c and Plaits as well as a proper working build of the SEM filter from Moogah (Synthcube).

david have you seen this thread: http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=216177&highlight=
kindredlost
mome rath wrote:
david have you seen this thread: http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=216177&highlight=

Yes I have thanks. thumbs up

Unfortunately I have spent too much lately on various synths, a new computer, audio interface and DAW. My studio is in need of upgrading and additionally I just had a high board fence, two bathrooms and new siding put on the home so the module purchases have been curtailed for the time being. I don't usually spill my guts about these first world problems but since we are all in the same boat it might make sense to explain why I haven't splurged for a few good 5U builds. Life is tough you know. hihi

I do plan to get around to it some day. Ornament & Crime is a great tool for composition and Plaits is full of great source sounds. Hard to pass up on these.

And thanks for thinking of me enough to point out the great build threads mome rath!
fac
EPTC wrote:
lisa wrote:

No way, still too flimsy. DB25!

fac
DJFonzi wrote:
It makes me appreciate MU SO MUCH!
Yes, it's tiny, which I now understand the appeal, as I'm on year 3 living in a travel trailer.
But man, all other build issues aside, 3.5mm plugs just feel cheap. The whole thing is just fiddly. All it's done is make me long for my "real" modular.
I will say that the options available make shopping fun. My bank balance is glad we went MU to begin with!

I agree with you 100%. I like my 9U eurorack, but it's no MU.
bwhittington
1010 bitbox and toolbox, Magneto, Modcan Dual Delay, MN Erbeverb, and Rossum Evolution make up the core of my current 6U euro suitcase, along with a Cwejman VM-1 to make it self-contained when needed. Mainly using it for fx, and the 1010 stuff ends up being used as rhythm samples/sequencing most of the time. All really nice quality modules, plays nicely with its big brother, and adds a lot not otherwise in my 5U. No complaints.

I had some fiddly experiences with euro cables years ago, but that seems to be due to my module choice then. No issues now, and it is a heck of a lot easier to take with me. I've gotten a lot of use out of that one case along with a Synthi and a backpack full of cables. One trip in from the car vs. needing a forklift if I wanted to take my 5U anywhere.

Very different than 5U's 'sound lab' vibe. Seems like small Euro systems tend to be much more focused to specific purposes in a way that 5U or other simple component modules (including some Euro) are more open ended building blocks. It's all good stuff, depending on your purpose.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1