MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

So...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author So...
metasonix
...was planning to make a custom Serge/RS "4x4" or whatever it's called module for a friend. It will be two standard RK modules on a nice engraved panel. I could do this with any two RKs so if you're interested, email or PM directly.

sempervirent
Neat idea... looks like you're using Front Panel Express? FWIW they do UV printing now and the cost is the same as engraving, so you're not really limited to the default fonts that they use. You can import a PDF at 1:1 scale and use whatever graphics you'd like.
Prunesquallor
Wow!!! Colour me interested!
FatRocky
hyper
MindMachine
You should have a contest to name it a la Metasonix style.

Homo Erectus Turd Wrangler is my entry.

edit - going with Wrangler instead of Groper.
Prunesquallor
MindMachine wrote:
You should have a contest to name it a la Metasonix style.

Homo Erectus Turd Wrangler is my entry.

edit - going with Wrangler instead of Groper.

As these are custom modules, you could probably call yours what you want. cool
metasonix
The first one will be called a "Sodomizer", okay? "Bellend" for the second one....
FatRocky
i like the triangle symbol (heat , ventilation whatever it is)

i want a RK1- Rk5 combo how would you call that?
lud
Looks amazing! Is the RK7 new?
bcomnes
My favorite Metasonix name that Eric suggested once but never used was Afterbirth Fryer
FatRocky
The Agonizer! Metasonix! booty wiggler
ritchiedrums
SlayerBadger! screaming goo yo SlayerBadger!
Prunesquallor
This is just amazing! Just a couple of questions: Would you be open to LW format as well? Are the R*S power supplies OK with these modules?
Cheers,
Neil
FatRocky
Prunesquallor wrote:
This is just amazing! Just a couple of questions: Would you be open to LW format as well? Are the R*S power supplies OK with these modules?
Cheers,
Neil

the R“S smaller psu is not going to handle more than 3 rk modules, the big one can do it , sure it can give juice to 4 of those panels meaning 8 rk modules. I´m not sure if it will power a second regular boat after that . So you will need the whole thing just for a boat filled with yellow:

the rS big PSU is supossed to be a beast right? i dont use it i have 3 x konstant lab bricks , it powers everything i have well

im getting some metasonix 4u as well and asked eric about power he said its fine with the rs .

another issue is : i have the r modules racked by my serge and i i have to use every scaler and amplifier i have to get cv high enough to fire the r modules inputs.

maybe some kind of adjustments on the rk to be in tune with serge levels will be a good upgrade to this 4u beauties.

Maybe a good solution is to attach one rkp distro psu at the back of the boat and add a black gnd socket to it

what do you think?

i think yellow in 4u is mental . and raw . very much in the way to be fed by sergio
Delepathy
FatRocky wrote:
Prunesquallor wrote:
Cheers,
Neil

the R“S smaller psu is not going to handle more than 3 rk modules, the big one can do it , sure it can give juice to 4 of those panels meaning 8 rk modules. I´m not sure if it will power a second regular boat after that . So you will need the whole thing just for a boat filled with yellow:

the rS big PSU is supossed to be a beast right? i dont use it i have 3 x konstant lab bricks , it powers everything i have well

im getting some metasonix 4u as well and asked eric about power he said its fine with the rs .

another issue is : i have the r modules racked by my serge and i i have to use every scaler and amplifier i have to get cv high enough to fire the r modules inputs.

maybe some kind of adjustments on the rk to be in tune with serge levels will be a good upgrade to this 4u beauties.

Maybe a good solution is to attach one rkp distro psu at the back of the boat and add a black gnd socket to it

what do you think?

i think yellow in 4u is mental . and raw . very much in the way to be fed by sergio

The Metasonix/Serge Random*Source-style 4x4 panel will only handle two RKs. That's it. To quote from an email exchange between Eric and I when we first began discussing this:
Quote:

Remember the 4x4 Serge module with RKs? I finally got a sample panel to work from. It is possible to cram three RK modules onto it, but they won't line up to the ridged 1" x 3/4" control and jack spacing that people "expect" from Serge compatibles. In fact, the fit will be very tight and there will be "liberties" taken to cram it all in with banana jacks. We will need to trim a small strip from the end of each board too. Making it exactly follow the "magical Serge spacing" will mean laying out a new pc board.

Obviously, going the three RK route wouldn't have been and isn't a good idea.

Regarding the power supply:
Eric told me that the R*S Serge linear Power-One PS6 [rated at 1.7A] (see external power supplies: https://randomsource.net/boats) will work just fine to power a SINGLE Metasonix/Serge 4x4 module. This does not include powering other Serge panels. This is due to the initial "cold inrush" current of the tube heaters, which draw 2 to 2.5 times more current when cold. While this may only last a few seconds, doubling or tripling the amperage of your power supply is crucial if you want to power more than a single "MetaSerge" 4x4. Please, DO NOT use the R*S Mobile PSU (PS-M) to power a MetaSerge 4x4, it will not sufficiently power it.
The MetaSerge 'Sodomizer' 4x4 panel will draw just over 1.2A when cold on the +12v rail; and around 610mA warm. I plan on getting a custom Power-One PSU [that'll deliver 3-5A] made that can power up to two MetaSerge modules (the next one being "Bellend") and two other R*S 4x4s, as well as three other Serge panels. I haven't gotten around to asking who can build one for me though. I'd advise anyone interested in buying one of these MetaSerge modules to do the same.

Please remember that nothing like this has been done is the Serge format... ever. This panel is experimental and unique. So we're all learning as we go along here.

Here's the 'Sodomizer' finished. I should have it by this weekend:

Cheers! I hope this helps.
Prunesquallor
Delepathy wrote:
I plan on getting a custom Power-One PSU [that'll deliver 3-5A] made that can power up to two MetaSerge modules (the next one being "Bellend") and two other R*S 4x4s, as well as three other Serge panels.

This why I was asking about the Loudest Warning format. It's more open, practically and philosophically. R*S is now 100% focused on Serge and mounting is pretty much tied to their boats and power solutions. LW, on the other hand, is more DIY friendly, and you can mount modules in boats or directly on Euro rails.

Regarding power, Trogotronic PSUs can deliver 10A. Obviously, the connectors are for Euro, but I'm sure something could be figured out. There's also Metasonix's own PSU. I understand it's discontinued, but it's still available in stores.

Exciting stuff! Are the combinations of RK modules fixed, or can you order what you want?
FatRocky
I think i´ll put the rkp in a panel with a black GND banana jack on it. I´ll ask Eric about it , that might be a good solution to power more than one of these panels.
Delepathy
Quote:
This why I was asking about the Loudest Warning format. It's more open, practically and philosophically. R*S is now 100% focused on Serge and mounting is pretty much tied to their boats and power solutions. LW, on the other hand, is more DIY friendly, and you can mount modules in boats or directly on Euro rails.

Regarding power, Trogotronic PSUs can deliver 10A. Obviously, the connectors are for Euro, but I'm sure something could be figured out. There's also Metasonix's own PSU. I understand it's discontinued, but it's still available in stores.

Exciting stuff! Are the combinations of RK modules fixed, or can you order what you want?

I doubt Eric will buy/design a completely new set of panels just so it could fit in LW format. He already ordered a set of Random*Source 4x4-style panels from FPE to fit in that format. Patch Point messaged me showing some interest in possibly selling the Metasonix/R*S Serge-style 4x4s in their shop, I had them email Eric. I haven't asked if the deal fell through though. But there is quite a bit of interest in the MetaSerge R*S-style 4x4s. Maybe if you have enough money to somehow convince him to produce an entirely different panel for you, then he *may* consider it. But I can't speak for him - just email him yourself.
I don't know if Eric is still offering any dual combo of any RKs, but you can ask. The Sodomizer (an RK7 and RK3) and Bellend (an RK4 and RK2) designs are essentially set in stone. Again, you'll have to ask him. And you'll have to figure out your power situation too. I'm not sure if it's possible to use two entirely different PSUs (Serge and Eurorack) in tandem, but you and FatRocky may surprise me (; I don't know if the RKP will work in this situation, just email Eric. I'll post updates on my PSU solutions when that time comes around.

Cheers!
Prunesquallor
Delepathy wrote:
I doubt Eric will buy/design a completely new set of panels just so it could fit in LW format. He already ordered a set of Random*Source 4x4-style panels from FPE to fit in that format. Patch Point messaged me showing some interest in possibly selling the Metasonix/R*S Serge-style 4x4s in their shop, I had them email Eric. I haven't asked if the deal fell through though. But there is quite a bit of interest in the MetaSerge R*S-style 4x4s.

No worries! Of course there's interest and I'm definitely interested. Just dreaming on my part, basically.

Delepathy wrote:
The Sodomizer (an RK7 and RK3) and Bellend (an RK4 and RK2) designs are essentially set in stone.

Thanks for clarifying. Eric mentioned custom panels in the OP, hence the question.

Delepathy wrote:
I'm not sure if it's possible to use two entirely different PSUs (Serge and Eurorack) in tandem, but you and FatRocky may surprise me (; I don't know if the RKP will work in this situation, just email Eric. I'll post updates on my PSU solutions when that time comes around.

There shouldn't be a problem. Before R*S started marketing their own power solutions, Ralf was recommending Doepfer power for their modules. The standards should be the same. I think, though, that the Trogo power is switching, so if you come up with a hefty linear supply I'd be very interested.

Just remembered - If you check out Pugix's (Richard Brewster's) blog you'll find his entry for constructing a custom R*S system for a friend. If I remember rightly, he was using a linear PSU and Oakley distro boards in a homemade rack (no boats). I might go for that approach rather than have differently specced boats jangling around.

Cheers!
metasonix
Delepathy wrote:
This why I was asking about the Loudest Warning format.

Quote:
I doubt Eric will buy/design a completely new set of panels just so it could fit in LW format.

Please gentlemen, don't start this nitpicking about minor format differences. I've laid out an FPE panel for RS 4x4. If you want another format, you will pay extra AND provide me with sample panels and a cabinet/power supply for testing.

Once again; ten years ago I asked around if anyone was interested in 5U or 4U format modules. You may remember that Zerosum offered the R5x modules on a nice FPE panel for MU format. He sold a few, but also got a rash of abuse from MU nerds who demanded that everything have exactly the same panel layout, knobs and pots on exactly the same grid alignment as other MU modules, etc. They hated the nice-looking engraved panels because they "weren't in the MU format" with the flanges on the sides. Everything has to "exactly match" or they won't buy it. And they shrieked about any possible power supply issues -- incessantly. Fuck that.

Buchla was even worse. Even bought a small 200e boat for testing, which I ended up giving to Zerosum. We met extreme hostility to even the idea of Buchla 200e format modules. Buchla fanboys are worse than Moog fanboys which is saying a lot. They are deeply intolerant of anything that wasn't designed by Don, looks exactly like classic Buchla 200 series panels, and was "blessed with the golden sacrament of Don" or whatever. Unless someone coughs up serious money AND a 200e cabinet for testing, I'm not doing that at all period.

Let's not forget:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=55300

Quote:
Patch Point messaged me showing some interest in possibly selling the Metasonix/R*S Serge-style 4x4s in their shop, I had them email Eric. I haven't asked if the deal fell through though.

I'm debating whether to sell these as custom one-offs for each one or to sell them to other dealers. Is Patch Point reliable? I know nothing about them, having never dealt with Serge before. It's a tiny, tiny sub-market compared to Euro.

Yes, please email me directly. I don't check this forum every day anymore.
Prunesquallor
metasonix wrote:
Once again; ten years ago I asked around if anyone was interested in 5U or 4U format modules. You may remember that Zerosum offered the R5x modules on a nice FPE panel for MU format. He sold a few, but also got a rash of abuse from MU nerds who demanded that everything have exactly the same panel layout, knobs and pots on exactly the same grid alignment as other MU modules, etc. They hated the nice-looking engraved panels because they "weren't in the MU format" with the flanges on the sides. Everything has to "exactly match" or they won't buy it. And they shrieked about any possible power supply issues -- incessantly. Fuck that.

Patch Point messaged me showing some interest in possibly selling the Metasonix/R*S Serge-style 4x4s in their shop, I had them email Eric. I haven't asked if the deal fell through though.

I'm debating whether to sell these as custom one-offs for each one or to sell them to other dealers. Is Patch Point reliable? I know nothing about them, having never dealt with Serge before. It's a tiny, tiny sub-market compared to Euro.

Yeah, first world issues. Sorry about the whinging, and thanks for doing all this. The thought of being compared to the MU and Buchla purinistas (a highly vocal unrepresentative minority) has put this into perspective. And yes Patch Point is reliable.
Delepathy
Prunesquallor wrote:
The thought of being compared to the MU and Buchla purinistas (a highly vocal unrepresentative minority) has put this into perspective. And yes Patch Point is reliable.

metasonix as far as I'm aware, Patch Point is reliable. They primarily sell 4U Modular Synths; Bugbrand, Ciat-Lonbarde, and Random*Source. So they'd be perfect for selling 4U Metasonix panels, and they're based in Berlin. If you need a second opinion, and someone who has experience working with Patch Point, I'd suggest contacting Tom Bugs (BugBrand) at shop@bugbrand.co.uk. I've had a few conversations with him, and he's a great guy to talk to. Tom answers his emails personally, so you won't have any trouble contacting him. I'm sure he wouldn't mind giving his opinion and answering your questions. I don't know of any shops in the US that'd be interested in selling 4U Metasonix panels though. Maybe Modular Addict (ran by Logan Erickson), but his shop is more focused on the DIY side of Modular... so I'm not sure.
BugBrand
Yeah, Darrin at PatchPoint is a great guy running a great little shop. We only do quite small quantities but that works for us both - might be similar for you.
metasonix
FatRocky
w00t Metasonix!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3