MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

ribbon
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author ribbon
Dadaisme
Hi!

I'm looking into a ribbon controler for modular. Should I go Doepfer A-198, Eowave Ribbon2 or anything else that I don't know about?

Tx
Rex Coil 7
Dot Com.

Flareless
I recently reviewed the Zorx ribbon controller. I'll be posting the video later this week.

It's pretty cool!

Dadaisme
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Dot Com.

?
Flareless
Dadaisme wrote:
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Dot Com.

?

The Synthesizers.com Q182-RP20 Ribbon and Pressure controller
authorless
I'd go with the Doepfer A-198. It had location and pressure out, looks like the Eowave Ribbon2 only has location. And by "I'd go with the Doepfer", I mean I have a Doepfer A-198 and use it regularly.
jorg
I have the Doepfer A-198 and I absolutely love it. It's built like a tank, has both position and pressure, and the interface module is flexible. Together (sometimes) with a quantizer, it makes playing a dream.

I like to feed the pressure channel through a highpass filter set to ~1Hz cutoff, and use it to modulate volume and pitch. That kind of vibrato is expressive enough to make you cry.

The only slightly weak point is the USB cable (not used as USB). It's easy to pull out of the controller accidentally if you're waving it around. A bit of duct tape will fix that. On the plus side, if you break the cable, it's very commonly available and cheap.
unrecordings
I made one out of a Softpot about a year ago

Dadaisme
I thought about building one some time ago... I don't think it's the right path for me.

Doepfer A-198 seams to be the way to go.

Thx for the advices.
Umcorps
authorless wrote:
I'd go with the Doepfer A-198. It had location and pressure out, looks like the Eowave Ribbon2 only has location.

Eowave Ribbon has 2 CV outputs. One is for position. The other can be for either a touch activated gate or for pressure.

It also puts out midi note, pitchbend, note on/off from the ribbon and CC1 from the pressure plate at the same time which is useful if you have an available midi/CC converter.
Rex Coil 7
I bought my wife a Doepfer A-198. I also had one of the Ornament and Crime modules built for her to pair it up with the Doepfer ribbon as a quantizer. The ensemble is patched up to her Moog Little Phatty. The whole rig really works out well.

thumbs up
tardishead
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
I bought my wife a Doepfer A-198. I also had one of the Ornament and Crime modules built for her to pair it up with the Doepfer ribbon as a quantizer. The ensemble is patched up to her Moog Little Phatty. The whole rig really works out well.

thumbs up

Sound like a marriage made in heaven
unrecordings
Dadaisme wrote:
I thought about building one some time ago... I don't think it's the right path for me.

Doepfer A-198 seams to be the way to go.

Thx for the advices.

Yep, the softpot is a different/inferior beast to a proper ribbon, and I have to use a pedal interface (MOTM850 in my case), but it's a fun thing to knock together if you're so inclinded - and also works great on the pedal inputs of old FX
Flareless
Here's that video of Zorx Electronic's Ribbon Controller...

Dadaisme
Flareless wrote:

Nice. How whould you compare it whit A-198?

Tx
luchog
Flareless wrote:

Nice review. I've owned a Zorx Ribbon Controller for the better part of a year, and would definite recommend it.

A few additional comments of my own:

My only real criticism is that while the overall construction is great, the momentary-contact gate switch feels a bit flimsy, and the cap had a tendency to fall off easily. I did mention that to Wolf in person at a synth meetup a while back, but don't know if any changes were made since then.

The sharp edges and corners of the plexi base also bug me a bit, but that's more of a personal thing. Being the clutz that I am I tend to prefer rounded corners and edges, since i have a tendency to injure myself on sharp things very frequently.

That said, I would still highly recommend it. As noted, aside from the switch, the rest of the construction is solid. And I love having the pressure-sensitive LED to give me a visual representation of the voltage, since I have a hard time doing things solely by touch.

One of my favorite ways to patch it is to use the ribbon CV for an oscillator, and the pressure CV for a VCA; so I can control pitch and produce a sort of manual ASR envelope at the same time. Another good way to use that feature would be to patch the pressure CV to an ASR-style EG, with the length of the sustain controlled by the gate (pressure) voltage.

Right now, I have it patched with the ribbon CV multed between an oscillator's pitch control, and a multimode filter's cutoff/sweep control; and the pressure CV multed between a VCA as noted above, and the filter's resonance control.
AlanP
Got a Scott Stites 'Appendage' ribbon controller. Works very nicely. DIY, though.

Same dude as the Klee sequencer.
Umcorps
luchog wrote:

One of my favorite ways to patch it is to use the ribbon CV for an oscillator, and the pressure CV for a VCA; so I can control pitch and produce a sort of manual ASR envelope at the same time.

That's basically the default setup for my ribbon.

Only difference is that I put a variable slew limiter on the pressure CV before sending it to the VCA. Makes things much smoother, especially on the pressure release.
Flareless
Dadaisme wrote:

Nice. How whould you compare it whit A-198?

Sorry but I've never tried the A-198 (or any other ribbon controller for that matter) so I can't comment on a comparison

luchog wrote:
Nice review. I've owned a Zorx Ribbon Controller for the better part of a year, and would definite recommend it.

Thanks for the kind comment and for the additional review points. All of them are excellent.

The plexiglass (perspex) is both cool looking and cold feeling. I know what you mean about the hard edges. It gives it an almost sterile feeling. It's tough to explain. That said, playing it is no problem and the visual (especially for live performance) is outstanding.

One thing I did notice about playing a ribbon controller; since having to stop playing drums due to arthritis (to the point where I've got rid of both my kits) I've found certain activities involving my hands becoming more and more difficult.

Playing the ribbon controller for even a short period of time aggravated the condition greatly. My right hand (the one I used mainly to slide along the ribbon) was very sore for the rest of the day after my first experimentation with the controller which lasted over an hour.

I expect this had nothing to do with this particular brand of ribbon controller but rather with the nature of the controller itself.

I've always gear-lusted after a ribbon controller and would still like to get one but this experience showed me that it won't be something I use for long periods of time or that it might even be that cool piece of gear that rarely gets used

Having said all that, my ideal ribbon controller would be CV based and independent of a "Parent" interface like the Zorx. It was SUPER SIMPLE to interface it to my MU system since I have a number of 1/4" -> 1/8" patch cables.

The Zorx easily moves around a larger system which may be comprised of independent modular sections (Euro / MU / FRAC / etc..) . Just plug it in wherever it's needed and you're good to go. You can even plug it into the CV IN on any slab synthesizer.

My ideal ribbon controller would be like that. Plus it would be made out of wood with rounded corners. It would also have an LED strip or row of LEDs embedded up the length of the controller which responded to pressure. Finally it would have a Sample & Hold option to either hang on to the last note / voltage received or to return to the base note.

Maybe if the strip were made of the same goo the Roli Seaboard uses it would be easier on my hands so I'd like that added please.

And it would have lugs for a guitar strap Rockin' Banana!
CZ Rider
Flareless wrote:

And it would have lugs for a guitar strap Rockin' Banana!

+1, actually have straplocks on mine. The Moog 1150 ribbon controller is interesting as it has a separate trigger trace. You can get various struming/picking techniques with the trigger being separate. The ribbon also has a sample/hold on the CV out.

Put a red mahogany body and headstock on this one. Seemed futuristic in the late 70's. lol
Parnelli
That's very cool CZ Rider! Nice work!
CZ Rider
Parnelli wrote:
That's very cool CZ Rider! Nice work!

Thanks! Started that way back in '77 or so. The ribbon has a switch to invert the CV so the top is low note and toward the body goes high. More natural that way, like a guitar or bass. Has a breakout box for all the CV outs.
Flareless
Definitely a thing of beauty CZ Rider applause thumbs up
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1