MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Gary Numan: Are Friends Electric: story behind the song
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion  
Author Gary Numan: Are Friends Electric: story behind the song
beatcleaver
Short interview about AFE. I'd never heard him mention these things about the song before

dubonaire
beatcleaver wrote:
Short interview about AFE. I'd never heard him mention these things about the song before

This tune changed my musical interests. I was travelling in London at the time and happened to watch this on Top of the Pops.

What I find interesting is he seemed so exotic, and now when you read or watch Gary Numan's interview's he is a disarmingly authentic person. All of his interviews are worth getting in to. It's cool to see his influence is being recognized, he spent a long time in obscurity. There is an interview on the web about how quickly he composed Cars.

This is cool:

And so is this:

cretaceousear
The UK music paper NME - the one for all the cool kids - was always snotty about him - not sure why. But John Peel played Tubeway Army on the radio, so they'd got some exposure.

A friend of mine was a flying nut and spent a lot of time at Duxford airbase, late 80s, where he met Gary and got to do unpaid assiantance on keeping Gary's plane in tip top condition (old US fighter I think?). Said he was a really friendly guy I remember.
Licudi
cretaceousear wrote:
got to do unpaid assiantance on keeping Gary's plane in tip top condition (old US fighter I think?).

A Harvard trainer. Does look like a fighter, though.

https://www.t6harvard.com/uk-harvards/g-azsc/

I quite like Poppy's verison of Metal. I realise that's a capital offence.

thispoison
Loved the "what's in my bag" thing there - what a great (mostly shared!) list of albums.

He's still one of my heroes, but I'm also astounded by how lovely he always is in interviews. Tubeway Army is still my fave album.
dubonaire
Licudi wrote:

Post reported! zombie

Actually it would be OK without the super saws.
cptnal
Licudi wrote:

It's the compression that makes it offensive. I feel like my head's about to explode. Dead Banana

Since reading their interview in Patch n Tweak I've been listening to Node...

Edit: The fact that I've been listening to Node is completely irrelevant. Sorry, I thought I was in a different thread. I'll leave it here anyway since it's damn good.
Licudi
cptnal wrote:
Licudi wrote:

It's the compression that makes it offensive. I feel like my head's about to explode. Dead Banana .

I don't suppose she could sell you a System 8, super saws and all?

Re Mr Numan, the odd thing about him is his music got more conservative as time went by even though he started with a conventional rock line-up. He became everything I hated.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion  
Page 1 of 1