MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Electro-Harmonix Pedals Over the Years
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Electro-Harmonix Pedals Over the Years
MindMachine
Ok so I was going through my pedals tonight and while I like all of the ‘boutique’ and rare pedals I have I had to be impressed by how many Boss and Electro-Harmonix pedals I have and use (or have had).
Just for fun, and because I love hardware so much I thought I would list all of my EH pedals (past and present) and maybe a note about each. I don't have many of the more complex or interesting EH pedals, but what the hell. They all serve a purpose. It thought a thread like this might be a nice repository of info or maybe a dud like a few of my threads.
So if you want, please list your EH pedals past and present and maybe a brief note on how or why you use them or why you sold them.

EH 360 NANO LOOPER – great price/plenty of record time – want a 720 for the reverse mode. Easily moved around for capture.
EH ATTACK DECAY – finally a reissue for a great price. Great functions – need practice to master.
EH FREEZE – handy for all aspects of live electronic recording.
EH ANALOGIZER – does what it is intended to. Also works as a nice subtle presence/distortion pedal for guitars.
EH GRAPHIC FUZZ – I have a circa 2000 old school version. I use it exclusively on synths or keyboards (currently on a Yamaha Reface YC organ… also on Serge sometimes between NTO and whatever).
EH KNOCKOUT ATTACK EQ – does what it says. Fender to Gibson and vice a versa. Mostly use it for bass and vocals though.
EH LPB-1 PREAMP – works. Should sell since I seldom use it. Cheap.
EH MEL9 – use it all of the time. Drive from Yamaha Reface CS or YC or Roland RS-09. It is incredible.
EH RAVISH SITAR – weird one. Mostly use it on bass, since I cannot play guitar worth much. It is pretty versatile if you take the time to dial it up proper. Trying to sell and replace with a Danelectro Baby Sitar.
EH SIGNAL PAD ATTENUATOR – cheap/does its deal. Bought for noise/feedback experiments. Trying to sell.

Other EH ‘pedals’…
2880 LOOPER w/ Foot Controller – need to still use more after all of these years.

CRASH PAD – this is an incredible drum/cymbal/noise/metallic synthesizer. I use it with my Euro modules as a fill the gaps voice. It can be sequenced by modular and has an audio input to process through its filter and a CV input for a foot pedal or LFO, etc. to control the filter frequency. It is a super useful versatile percussion voice and decent processor.

Sold -
POLYPHASE – original version, sold it. The envelope function never worked right and I was not keen on the phaser sound. Sold cheap to a Wiggler who likely made it right.
LITTLE BIG MUFF PI – old original version. I guess it was okay. Sold in the 80’s.
WORM – gave to my nephew. Did not work so well on any keyboards or synths. Sounded great on acoustic guitar.
EH MOLE BASS BOOSTER – cheap/does its deal. Bought for noise/feedback experiments.
EH SCREAMING BIRD TREBLE BOOSTER - cheap/does its deal. Bought for noise/feedback experiments.
fac
I only have a few pedals; partly because I'm just starting with stringed instruments (bass first, eventually guitar) and racked effects made more sense within a modular environment, and partly because I think collecting pedals can easily lead to another financial black hole, just as modulars. And I don't have any floor space for a pedalboard.

That said, I am the proud owner of two EHX pedals:

- 720 looper. Love it. I had wanted to try a looper for years after watching videos from people like Will Calhoun, Reggie Watts, etc. Went to the store planning to buy a cheap one (360 or Ditto), but they had none, so I got the 720. I'm glad because the dual-switches and extra features are very worth it. But I still need to practice with it.

- Bass Big Muff Pi. Needed a fuzz for a few songs, and after searching a bit and watching various demos, I liked this one best among the cheaper ones. I'm quite happy with it but I don't know any better. I have an old Bass POD and it sounds like crap compared to this one. Plus I had to have a Muff!

There are quite a few other EHX pedals I would like. Freeze and a POG are definitely in the list. Maybe also some filters, although I can run the bass through the modular.

Not really interested in boutique stuff. Like I said, I don't need another expensive hobby.

PS.- other pedals I have: Line6 DL4 and TC Nova Reverb currently connected to my eurorack modular, and Behringer VD-400 connected to my SubPhatty.
kcd06
EHX Superego+ with a monosynth is a great and glorious thing, although liking drones and spacy sounds probably helps...

Vocoders; I use a Novation mininova for this, but there are options in actual pedal format.

Roland VT-3 Voice Transformer (I dont have latest iteration, which apparently sounds a bit different) and Boss PS-6 Harmonist are also great for expanding what can be done--or rather what I come up with to do--to a monosynth output. Toss a Korg Miku into the front of that chain and holy carp things get fun quickly. VC mixer/pan/fade is icing on the cake.

I would like to get a H.O.G. 2 and Ravish Sitar (and a Haken Continuum, and...), but I need to win the lottery first or something.

I know I have said it before, but it bears repeating, that pedals are just another modular format, and life is better when all these tools are working together.
thevegasnerve
love EHX pedals, but at the moment only using the microPOG, perfect for adding depth to certain sounds.. Prefer it more than the larger POG pedals..

also have:

Clone Theory
Germanium OD
Memory Boy

looking to add at some point:

Clockworks
Big Muff
scozbor
Platform Stereo Compressor - love it! strapped to my volca case. drive section sounds good and is a useful addition. swell function can be fun. capable of smashing.

Ravish Sitar - can be a bit of a struggle. would be amazing if you were a great guitar player (unlike me). adds a nice unique pad voice to your setup. fun on drums and vocal samples.

8 Step Sequencer - fantastic! I'm using it as a mod source for all my pedal CVs, and with modular/analog monos. lots of great features. want another!

Clockworks - bought on a whim. awesome 4 channel clock divider. still haven't really fit it into my setup.

Flangerhoax - sold it and regret it. it's noisy, but heaps of fun. great features. it's just such a cool device!

WANT - pitchfork / super ego + / pulsar
authorless
I have a 45000 and a Clockworks. I don't use either too often, but they are both great. I had a Russian Big Muff but traded it for some Coil CDs. I kind of regret it, especially seeing how much they sell for now.

I really want a Superego+. I have been seriously debating buying your Mole and Screaming Bird, I saw them in the for sale section the other day. If I had some other things I wanted already I would get a Mod Rex, POG2, Ring Thing, and Super Pulsar.
fac
authorless wrote:
If I had some other things I wanted already I would get a Mod Rex, POG2, Ring Thing, and Super Pulsar.

Mod Rex looks real tasty. I also want one of those.
Fallen_lassen
16 second digital delay. Ri. With footcontroller
Looper delay modulator. Kinda like the new mimeophone. With a buffer the size of Texas, something like 4 minutes delay.
Have used it for 15 years now. Also great for guitar but i have it on a send in the mixer.

Clockworks.
I use it with my boss drumpads. For real hands on drummachine action, you can also use it with the modular as a clock divider or lfo a/d looper etc.

Superego
Ambient backing creator and attack modifier (cello like guitar)

Random tone generator
Gadget with a sample and hold loop.

Sovtek big muff. Sold
Memory man deluxe 90 ies bigbox ri. Sold
The worm. Sold
Frequency analyzer. 90ies bigbox Sold. But i still miss it sometimes (ring mod)
Small clone. Sold
Micro synthesizer 90 ies bigbox. Sold
Big muff usa. Sold.
Sold all of these because i stopped playing guitar in bands around that time

All in all. Im more of a Boss compact pedal fan.
Better build and more choices.
Homepage Englisch
Have a Boss Super Chorus CH1 which is subtle and old ME8 multieffect which is stellar.

From EHX family I have only Cock Fight, great wah+vowel filter and sputtering fuzz.

Of all the pedals that are on my wish list, two are an absolute must: Lester G rotary simulator and Attack Decay Tape Reverse Simulator (actually a function generator+VCA).
smetak
Nano POG!!!!
cretaceousear
I have a Fender Mustang amp with all the FX you need built in and controllable from the big controller knob.. but.. but.. it's a pita getting to the correct virtual knob and tweaking it.

So I got an EHX Canyon last year - so much better, so many great sounding delays - dmm, reverb, a pog and a shimmer all only a knob twist away. However I will sell it soon for the bigger Grand Canyon to get those secondary knobs exposed.

Over the weekend I dug out an old overdrive pedal I had and that is also more fun than the Mustang FX - only took me 5 years to try. Could be a pedal board next.
Poor old modular hasn't been touched for months.
smetak
cretaceousear wrote:
I have a Fender Mustang amp with all the FX you need built in and controllable from the big controller knob.. but.. but.. it's a pita getting to the correct virtual knob and tweaking it.

So I got an EHX Canyon last year - so much better, so many great sounding delays - dmm, reverb, a pog and a shimmer all only a knob twist away. However I will sell it soon for the bigger Grand Canyon to get those secondary knobs exposed.

Over the weekend I dug out an old overdrive pedal I had and that is also more fun than the Mustang FX - only took me 5 years to try. Could be a pedal board next.
Poor old modular hasn't been touched for months.

The Canyon was certainly a nice surprise from EHX - a nice delay, with a good deal of very good sounding options at an impressive price point.
MindMachine
Thank you all for the replies.

So many Clockworks owners. That has been on my list sine they announced it. Think it would be great with my Crash Pad, etc.

Homepage Englisch - the Attack Decay is very affordable even new. It does take some patience to get a grip on. I'm still working on it impatiently.

I wish the Crash Pads were less expensive. I would add two more and a Clockworks (maybe an 8 Step ) to a drum set-up.

Mel9 - my favorite... pegged to a Yamaha Reface YC or newly bought Roland Rs-09. Think it will sound huge on Behringer reissue VC-340.
Fallen_lassen
Take a look around for the old Boss drumpads. They can be found very cheap.(25 to 50 €).
They are not analog but they come in three flavors, each with 6 different sounds. With a clockworks it creates madness and total chaos.
In combination with a spacedrum and crashpad or boss pc-2 and hc-2 Rockin' Banana!
fac
Has anyone tried the Clockworks with a Nord Drum ?
MindMachine
fac wrote:
Has anyone tried the Clockworks with a Nord Drum ?

Oh damn... that is a great thought.
hdd
Holiest Grail - love this one, have one dead and bought another one.
best friend of my machinedrum, give the stereo that the md needs, the delay is pretty glitchy but this goes well with the md spirit. midi input is ace to be controlled with one midi machine.
Also use it on some bass sound for some sci fi drone.
I don't like it on lead sound or guitar. I suppose that the fact is not that good on guitar make the short life she had.

Small stone classic - for some weird guiatr stuff with shi speed mod or slow shifting pad on synth mellotron struff ...

Big muff deluxe vintage - for some harshy bass sound, on synth bass or guitar bass. I think there is someone crying inside this pedal, creepy.

looking to buy a old hog 2.
MindMachine
Just Purchased an EH Bad Stone (reissue) with EH power adapter.
Euro Trash Bazooka
The Micro POG is my lethal weapon to make my monophonic synths sound more interesting. I never liked the say it sounds on guitars or bass but on synths, maaann...
The Micro POG is great, the Nano doesn't track well.

And I have a Big Muff Pi I really don't like. Big Muff aren't my thing, too muddy.

I'd love to have an Attack Decay. I wonder if the new one are as cool as the old ones. I don't like their new look. I always liked the way the huge old EHX pedals looked.
sduck
Way too many to get them all right. Started out with several varieties of big muff's back in the 70's. Still have one. Back when I was actually playing lots of guitar gigs, an electric mistress and memory man were staples. I had a bunch of these, they tended to walk away from gigs while i wasn't looking. Right now I don't have much - a canyon and a big muff. Oh, and a 95000 looper thing.
unpunk
Re the Graphic Fuzz. I have been interested in this for a while. I see you are using it with synths which is what I am considering. What is it good at? Mids/ His/ Bass? All? What is the fuzz like?
MindMachine
unpunk wrote:
Re the Graphic Fuzz. I have been interested in this for a while. I see you are using it with synths which is what I am considering. What is it good at? Mids/ His/ Bass? All? What is the fuzz like?

I just typed a 30 min. reply in full detail after trying several instrument options and... hit a key that killed it all.

Here is the short version.

I only use this on synths. Mostly modular, as a part of a patch

Modular - use between VCO and rest of path. Serge sawtooth> EHGF adds lots of dirt w/ dist. while allowing the wave to be equalized thinner or thicker. Same w/ dotcom Q106, except much smoother light distortion on saw wave - same EQ tricks.

On mono analogs - just adds eq and dist after the voice, so does what you would think. Effect them differently, i.e Moog, Arturi, etc.

On digital - Yamaha Reface YC loves this. Reface CS turn to mud.

Sorry I lost my original post, but Ilove this oddball for sytnht.s
unpunk
Thanks for the info Mindmachine (& the huge effort). My love for Muff Wiggler is constantly rewarded.

Your answer confirm what I thought. I think I will have to pick one up.

Never ceases to amaze me the different way different synths react to the same pedal and vice versa. That's sonic's for you.
MindMachine
Added a Small Stone (reissue) for my Roland RS-09 Organ/Strings primarily. It sounds good on a lot of things, but thought I would try another flavor too so I just received a Bad Stone (reissue).

The Small Stone will likely live on the RS-09. The Bad Stone will move amongst others: Micromoog mainly and maybe some Yamaha YC Reface.

For a hundred dollars total this is a nice luxury. Two excellent phasers.

Sold the Screaming Bird and Mole... so two in and two out.

unpunk wrote:
Thanks for the info Mindmachine (& the huge effort). My love for Muff Wiggler is constantly rewarded.

Your answer confirm what I thought. I think I will have to pick one up.

Never ceases to amaze me the different way different synths react to the same pedal and vice versa. That's sonics for you.

Cool. For the price these days you can't go wrong. It is useful in so many ways and it's now smaller and more robust a build than the one I have. For the money if it gets parked on one drum machine or between a computer out into a mixing board or whatever, it is worth the try. Mine is from this period and the sliders are still pristine:
https://www.buyanalogman.com/product_p/EH%20Graphic%20Fuzz.htm?gclid=E AIaIQobChMI4c6fk7fP5AIVax-tBh0kfACmEAQYBSABEgLh6vD_BwE

I even use it on my Casio Digital Horn DH-200.

It's called a fuzz but... funny to read these reviews:
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/electro-harmonix-gr aphic-fuzz-xo-fuzz-guitar-effects-pedal
Yes Powder
I like EHx for being a large company that still puts out some weird stuff here and there, but don't actually have that much of their stuff. (Not to say I don't want more.)

Russian Big-Muff ∏ v7- I happened to get this just before they stopped making them. I had it for probably seven years and used it all the time but I sold it to a friend for about $60 when I desperately needed the money. Their prices gone up a good deal lately and it sounded absolutely amazing, so file that sale under, "Regrets".

LPB1- I got this just to act as an amplifier for a crappy little mic I have, but will occasionally throw it in a feedback loop. I'd like to use it more for its intended purpose, but living in an apartment makes it tough since I don't want to piss off my neighbors too much. It's definitely not "linear" by todays standards especially when you turn the knob past 3 or 4 o'clock, but for $40 you can't go wrong.

Freeze- I was actually became "that guy" in waiting for this one— the guy who calls up the local guitar stores every few days asking if they have it yet. Thing's fun as hell to use, and surprisingly practical. Putting it in a feedback loop gives some unexpected effects that can get more intense each time you hit the button.

Pedals I want to get:
Knockout- I don't know why, I just do.
Superego- I saw this and swore I would get it the next time I had the money— and never did. Still want it though.
Lumberjack- I love weird distortions, and this one seems pretty weird. I should probably get one soon though since they might be discontinued.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2