MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

headphones?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices  
Author headphones?
Voltage_Controller
hey y'all - quick question on portability. I like to grab my bug and sit on the bed to patch but I always need to drag a mixer with me so I can use headphones. Here's my set-up:

https://www.modulargrid.net/f/racks/view/333546

Using the output mixer, I can only get sound in one headphone. Is there a work around for this?

Thanks!
chromakey
If the mixer is putting out 1/4" TS mono and you need to connect 1/4" TRS stereo so that you get the mono channel on both sides, something like the Hosa GPP-290 "F Phone stereo 6.3 mm to M Phone mono 6.3 mm" adapter may be suitable, assuming that mixer module's line output can handle half the impedance.
BugBrand
I would suggest a little external headphone amplilfier that can take a line input.
Voltage_Controller
ok cool - thanks ya'll
bmot
I’ve got a Bastl Dude, tiny 5 channel mixer, which I’ve used for Bug and other machines with headphones. Cheap and extremely awesome

Bastl Dude
Kent
Can I move this to General Gear? You'd get more replies there (thereby more input) and it really isn't Bugbrand specific.
soup
Do you diy? If so the stroh stereo out can drive headphones. Synthcube make a frac panel for it that will fit banana jacks.

(If you do build one be careful with the power header in a bug case as it's right down the middle. I'd recommend using a 5 pin mta100 header in the euro footprint)
Voltage_Controller
soup wrote:
Do you diy? If so the stroh stereo out can drive headphones. Synthcube make a frac panel for it that will fit banana jacks.

(If you do build one be careful with the power header in a bug case as it's right down the middle. I'd recommend using a 5 pin mta100 header in the euro footprint)

I do DIY & this suggestion is the type of thing I am looking for (ie not have another piece of kit just to use headphones).

My only gripe with stroh this kit is the 2U :( I do love this final stage module for my MU https://synthesizers.com/q148.html - would love a bug compatible single space version smile
Voltage_Controller
Kent wrote:
Can I move this to General Gear? You'd get more replies there (thereby more input) and it really isn't Bugbrand specific.

Thanks Kent! It is bugrand specific, as I am interested solutions specific to my bug system, and I wanted to hear from bug users (and designers wink I do get your point about more replies in the general, but I am happy consulting with the smaller, consistently positive community in this bug heads forum.
BananaPlug
Well as long as were going into the DIY-ish General Gear area...
You might want to look at this: http://www.paia.com/proddetail.asp?prod=9605K
You'll need a panel or maybe some holes in your case.
Be Sandy?
Voltage_Controller wrote:
My only gripe with stroh this kit is the 2U :( I do love this final stage module for my MU https://synthesizers.com/q148.html - would love a bug compatible single space version smile

It might be worth checking how big the pcb actually is on that synthesizers.com module. Although I haven't seen this one specifically, many of their modules have a pretty small pcb in comparison to the 5U panel size and it might be possible to repanel it or add it as a permanent case modification. Unless they've changed manufacturing techniques, all the pots and jacks are on flying leads so it would be pretty easy to do.
Kent
Kent wrote:

Thanks Kent! It is bugrand specific, as I am interested solutions specific to my bug system, and I wanted to hear from bug users (and designers wink I do get your point about more replies in the general, but I am happy consulting with the smaller, consistently positive community in this bug heads forum.

No problem! Carry on, sir!
Voltage_Controller
Be Sandy? wrote:

It might be worth checking how big the pcb actually is on that synthesizers.com module. Although I haven't seen this one specifically, many of their modules have a pretty small pcb in comparison to the 5U panel size and it might be possible to repanel it or add it as a permanent case modification. Unless they've changed manufacturing techniques, all the pots and jacks are on flying leads so it would be pretty easy to do.

this is a compelling idea. I can leave off the A440 tuner switch to save panel space. Would need to get my brain around the power issue, but I am seriously considering a repanel to bug format. (and it adds another vca, and we all know one cannot have enough vcas).
Be Sandy?

this is a compelling idea. I can leave off the A440 tuner switch to save panel space. Would need to get my brain around the power issue, but I am seriously considering a repanel to bug format. (and it adds another vca, and we all know one cannot have enough vcas).

Power wouldn't be too bad to sort out. Both synthesizers.com and bugs are +/-15V so all it requires is a custom cable probably.
batchas
I am seriously considering a repanel to bug format

Looking at the data sheet it seems to have through hole components, not SMD, means it looks like too high for the bugbrand when I look at the 6 opAmps/ICs in the vertical.
Worth asking them the exact PCB size IMO.
Voltage_Controller
yeah maybe repaneling the Q148 is a bit much for just a headphone output.

I am looking at u/bananaplug's suggesstion of the paia kit. I have a blank panel I can build it with and maybe use the extra space for a passive format converter....
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices  
Page 1 of 1