MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

stereo easel?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author stereo easel?
odditymedium
is it possible to get stereo panning from an easel? i have heard of people making mods, etc, how are the majority of you playing the easel?
search64
You mean separate the oscillators to two different outputs or...
odditymedium
can these two oscillators be panned from L-R or R-L?

just to get some movement in the stereo field...
search64
No. Not without mods and I don’t know how to mod that.

You can of course use stereo effects after the Buchla or put like a Mutable Clouds in there to get stereo spread.
odditymedium
so is everyone playing their easels in mono?!
search64
Uhm yeah. Pretty much.
bcomnes
Well it IS a mono instrument. However with 4 outputs try routing them to downstream separate effects, you can get some very interesting outcomes
odditymedium
the easel has 4 outs?
Fuzz
I have my Easel modded to have a stereo output at the tinijax outputs at the top of the 208. The lo pass gate 1 is routed to "Left" and lo pass gate is routed to "right." These outputs bypass the mixer and the reverb, but make the oscillators easier to interact with other Buchla modules, and now they can be used in a stereo format. The main 1/4" outputs on the side work as normal.

I don't know the technical aspects behind the mod but, Charles Seeholzer (aka Drillionaire) performed the mod and could potentially help others out with the same modification: Seeholzer Engineering.
bcomnes
All mono, same signal 2 on top, 2 on side
seeasound
I had my 208r modded when being built to give me separate outs from the 2 lpgs out of the headphone jack. I can then use the standard tinijack output jack on the panel to give me a completely wet reverb feed so i can record them all multi tracked. This does mean you have to use an external mixer to balance levels but I am pretty happy with the flexibility of this setup
Cobramatic
You can take out the Mod oscillator signal separately without any modification. It is available on the nana jack 'mod cv out' in the output section. This was intended for using the mod Osc as a CV source, but of course at higher frequency it works well in the audio range.

You will need to make a converter cable - nana to tinyjax or 1/4 inch to use it for audio (remember to bring the ground out too).
I've used this method effectively but it does have a caveat - the signal is very hot at 10v tops, so unless your external effects or mixer can handle it then you will need to attenuate it.
Also, it is the output signal for the oscillator before the LPG and Reverb so bear that in mind.
search64
It’s a DC voltage also, not AC like normal audio.
Chaotic
I did this on my 208p. The expander is all diy with more extra functions as slew, cv mix, vco with tri and square (dc /ac), noise, looping for the eg with delay and of course the ins and outs coming from the edge connector. It's peanut butter jelly time!

lumin
Loving this mod. Always wondered if this was possible even though I don't mind the mono output of the easel.
Anyone know if the output of the Chan A/B knobs could be extended to the tinijax outputs in a similar fashion?

I see this in my future.

Fuzz wrote:
I have my Easel modded to have a stereo output at the tinijax outputs at the top of the 208. The lo pass gate 1 is routed to "Left" and lo pass gate is routed to "right." These outputs bypass the mixer and the reverb, but make the oscillators easier to interact with other Buchla modules, and now they can be used in a stereo format. The main 1/4" outputs on the side work as normal.

I don't know the technical aspects behind the mod but, Charles Seeholzer (aka Drillionaire) performed the mod and could potentially help others out with the same modification: Seeholzer Engineering.
lumin
Just a quick post.
I extended the outputs from the Channel A & B pots after disconnecting the Tini jacks wiring from the PCB. My CO outputs to left Tini, the MO to the right. It was fairly straight forward.
Depending on which post on the pots you solder to, you could continue to use the Channel A/B pots and attenuate with them, or strictly use the CO/MO sliders to determine volume. I opted for the Pot control.
The mod does not affect the main output and can be reversed if need be.
Really diggin the capability to pan/process each voice separately. Wish I would have done this sooner. Highly recommended if you could use this function.

Short vid
https://streamable.com/mh1u6
eveldave
If I take the MO after the channel B pot and send it to the right tini audio out, has it been processed by the LPG yet?

I'm thinking about how I could still have the MO available when I get a VCS card and route it though the channel 2 LPG.
papz
The channel B pot is after the LPG2 and when the gate 2 source is switched to preamp (for the VCS3 Card) the MO is no longer routed to LPG2.

The MO signal is available at the mod CV out banana jack, you can pick it up there and wire it to the tinijax, via a trimpot to attenuate the CV amplitude to the desired audio level.
eveldave
Thanks Papz.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1