MARF - problematic?

Discussing some incredible modules that don't quite fit into the other forum categories.

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

odditymedium
Veteran Wiggler

MARF - problematic?

Post by odditymedium » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:53 am

to those of you who use the MARF:

- how problematic are the issues in practice?
- do any of you use it on stage live? any problems ever?
- is it glitchy?

i'd hate to drop a bunch of money on the marf and then live in this anxiety of it dying on stage

mestlick
Common Wiggler

Post by mestlick » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:34 pm

I use the MARF all the time. I have had no glitches.
I record live and play for hours with no problems.

I've only taken it on stage one time. The 216/245/258's were so temperature sensitive, that I didn't / couldn't notice anything on the 248.

I never use the memory. I probably should, since it forgets many things when it powers off. I just leave it on in my studio for weeks at a time.

The only "bugs" my MARF has are that the start/stop/strobe inputs require incredibly strong pulses to trigger. Only the stage outs on my 245 can trigger the strobe (not even other MARF pulse outs work). Other modules can trigger start/stop, but I can't have much fanout before it stops working. I'll eventually have a tech look at it.

P.S. if anyone has a MARF, can you successfully trigger one channels strobe with the other channels pulse 1 out?

jimfowler
Veteran Wiggler

Post by jimfowler » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:09 pm

I have two. It's not glitchy but the firmware is NOT finished and as of now there are only slight odds it ever will be. I always recommend folks read up on the V2 before spending the time and money building one as there are some missing features that could be a deal breaker.

http://emcloned.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1334
http://emcloned.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1444
http://emcloned.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1402
Last edited by jimfowler on Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

odditymedium
Veteran Wiggler

Post by odditymedium » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:46 pm

what are the deal breaking missing features

jimfowler
Veteran Wiggler

Post by jimfowler » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:31 pm

My main beef is that pulse 1 and 2 outputs are disabled in strobe (...I think it's strobe) mode. Secondary beef is that the expander does not work with the V2 unit.
Last edited by jimfowler on Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

sempervirent
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by sempervirent » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:16 pm

jimfowler wrote:I have two. It's not glitchy but the firmware is NOT finished and there is zero signs it ever will be.
The original firmware code was recently supplied to someone who might be able to fix some of the issues. No ETA provided of course and there may be hardware limitations that cannot be addressed in code. So: never say never, I guess.
Last edited by sempervirent on Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cygmu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cygmu » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:45 pm

Wow, I’m shocked to hear that there might be progress on this. Excellent news even if very tentative — thanks for that.

odditymedium
Veteran Wiggler

Post by odditymedium » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:47 am

can the marf be used a voice? i read somewhere someone was using it for "two oscillators", does that mean as two voices?

if so, then a 208 + a marf is a a fantastic combo isn't it?

jimfowler
Veteran Wiggler

Post by jimfowler » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:36 am

The 248 has no audio outputs but I vaguely recall a Todd Barton video where something like this may have been achieved. I dunno but maybe have a look around for his 248 videos.

Fuzz
Common Wiggler

Post by Fuzz » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:33 pm

odditymedium wrote:can the marf be used a voice? i read somewhere someone was using it for "two oscillators", does that mean as two voices?

if so, then a 208 + a marf is a a fantastic combo isn't it?
I'm guessing whatever you were reading was referring to using the MARF as a sequencer for two oscillators. It does make for a good combo with the 208.

You can find a bunch of chatter about the MARF here: https://www.sourceofuncertainty.audio/e ... nne-ciani/
darksparkler.bandcamp.com - Music
sourceofuncertainty.audio - Podcast

batchas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batchas » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:34 am

odditymedium wrote:can the marf be used a voice?
Clock it very fast and it will go in audio rate like any sequencer (and use external clock/oscillation to make it faster if you consider it to slow via internal clock).
Audio out = you'll need an adapter for the 248 gate/voltage output (banana-to-tinyjax), as it's not a tinyjax.
But an oscillator as audio source, instead of a 248, makes much more sense IMHO.

EDIT: adding videos.
I have abs. no time to make better videos or try something else to make it "musical"... sorry. It's just to show that there's logically an audio signal at the outputs when the clock if fast enough, int., or ext.

I don't remember seing a video, nevertheless I bet as mentionned already that Todd did try and has a good example on yt using more outputs. Pretty sure too it will be better quality! And not only the sound of a motor like im quick tests 8-)
-----------------------------------
Batchas website
Bandcamp page

cheapimitation
Learning to Wiggle

Re: MARF - problematic?

Post by cheapimitation » Sat May 09, 2020 11:38 am

I'd like to hear some examples of how people use 208 + MARF, links please?

stevenb
Common Wiggler

Post by stevenb » Sat May 09, 2020 6:01 pm

cheapimitation wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 11:38 am
I'd like to hear some examples of how people use 208 + MARF, links please?

cheapimitation
Learning to Wiggle

Post by cheapimitation » Sun May 10, 2020 7:28 am

Wow that sounds incredibly nice!

cheapimitation
Learning to Wiggle

Post by cheapimitation » Sun May 10, 2020 7:37 am

Really conflicted about if I should go and get MARF or not to company my 208. I understand it is a fun and useful thing to work with but also an overkill, since a lot (some?) of it's functions can't be really used with 208 - which would lead into the need of getting more buchla modules to really open it's full potentiality... something I just can't afford financially. But yeah, need to study more - nice to hear these examples, thanks.

stevenb
Common Wiggler

Post by stevenb » Sun May 10, 2020 10:09 am

cheapimitation wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 7:37 am
Really conflicted about if I should go and get MARF or not to company my 208. I understand it is a fun and useful thing to work with but also an overkill, since a lot (some?) of it's functions can't be really used with 208 - which would lead into the need of getting more buchla modules to really open it's full potentiality... something I just can't afford financially. But yeah, need to study more - nice to hear these examples, thanks.
Thanks.
If you’re going to go for the MARF/Easel combo, or even if not, you need one of these:
http://www.portabellabz.be/toolbox.html

Steven

cheapimitation
Learning to Wiggle

Post by cheapimitation » Sun May 10, 2020 11:42 am

Oh yeah, I have the toolbox, loving it, so useful.

Right now I'm thinking of not maybe taking the MARF route, at least yet. Might start instead to slowly expand with modules...266r, 281r, 292r, 258r... let see.

cheapimitation
Learning to Wiggle

Post by cheapimitation » Sat May 16, 2020 2:43 pm

I am really close getting MARF but contemplating if the voltage fluctuation issue will be too limiting - any thoughts from those who own one?

jimfowler
Veteran Wiggler

Post by jimfowler » Sat May 16, 2020 3:54 pm

it's being addressed and i can attest to a HUGE improvement in pitch stability and overall functionality. i cannot imagine you'd not be pleased with it.

Return to “Buchla, EMS & Serge”