Purpose of each step of a step sequencer having a gate out?

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

WonderAliceLand
Common Wiggler

Purpose of each step of a step sequencer having a gate out?

Post by WonderAliceLand » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:59 pm

There is a build of an arduino sequencer that is very popular, given that LMNC has featured a build guide on it. In it, it has each step of the sequencer having a gate out. I was wondering the purpose of each step of your sequencer having a gate out would serve.

Thanks in advance!
Sputnik Modular Multi-Touch Keyboard, Expert Sleepers ES-9, Expert Sleepers ES-5, Arp 2600, Roland Bitrazer, MFB SEQ-01, Synsi Stomper, Tiptop Audio MA808, Tiptop Audio CB808, Tiptop Audio RS808, Tiptop Audio uZues Happy-Ending-Kit, Zlob Mini Attenuator, G-Storm Spring Tank Reverb, Circuit Slicers ADSR.
Making music and sound effects for videogames I am in various processes of making.

Michael O.
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Michael O. » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:03 pm

The most basic would be so that you can send the gate from a given step into a reset input on the sequencer (assuming it has one) to limit the number of steps it cycles through (I.e. using step 5’s output to reset back to one immediately after 4 instead of it going through 8/16/however many steps). But with modular sky’s the limit; you could use them to trigger other things, combine them with a unity mixer to make a sort of basic step sequencer, etc.

kcd06
Wiggling with Experience

Post by kcd06 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:51 pm

Many sequencers can be set so that the user can manually select a particular stage. Providing a gate out at each stage in this case means you dont need to patch something together that would create a gate in parallel with the CV output or try to time a manual gate pulse.
The most powerful, dangerous, wonderful word in any language occurs when an engineer-type person says "Huh..."

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:20 pm

each gate out is a specific place in time. you can make a dedicated trigger to connect to any input on your modular. this what makes modular great. you can also send gate outs to rotate or skip inputs on the same or on other sequencers. think trigger riot, RCD, SCM. you can connect gate outs to sequential switch control lines. you can combine two gate outs with an OR combiner. you can send it to maths for different rise and fall times different lin exp shapes and then send that to something else. you can FM your clock that drives the sequencer. you can have 3 different percusion sounds triggered on steps 2, 5, 8 or something arbitrary. you can add a gate delay to get all the in between timings. you can use it to gate a ratchet. I could go on. you really need to think what can't I do with it.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

monads
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by monads » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:10 pm

In simple instances I use mainly for triggering envelopes to shape the contour of a voice. But yeah there's a lot of other things I could be using to make things more interesting.

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:30 am

Putting the gates through a mixer gives you an extra row of CV.
Is it finished?
Latest Tune:
Sounds: SoundCloud , Freesound
Racks: Big Case, Top Row, Funboat, Tinicase

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:35 am

Here's a very simple example of combining several gate outputs with a logic OR processor to make a sequence more interesting.
[video][/video]

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”