MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Arab Strap: distinctly Scottish?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion  
Author Arab Strap: distinctly Scottish?
onthebandwagon
I was listening to Philophobia and I couldn't think of an American band comparable to the confessional quality of the Arab Strap—maybe a few others from the UK come to mind, at least in profanity and with a sort of disjointed anger Sleaford Mods, but not entirely sure as they tend to talk about socioeconomic things (although in a very personal way). I also don’t know if the world would accept a band like this nowadays: they would be quickly labeled as misogynistic, and while I agree some of the language certainly is, but with a closer listen it’s apparent that it comes from a place of acknowledged self loathing, a sink hole of existential dread from an over self awareness. Thoughts?
craigie77
aiden's an arsehole, but Malcolm's a cool guy and shit hot on the bass

I grew up with them,

the place of acknowledged self loathing's called Falkirk
BugBrand
Never listened to Sleaford Mods, but they're kind of old codgers compared with Arab Strap back at Philophobia time - they were young then, figuring a lot out. Haven't kept track more recently - but still got their 1st LP, inc First Big Weekend (joy still).
I think it was the lyrics that set things apart - bits of the music I felt linked to the sort of Mogwai goings on back then. Still enjoy Philophobia when I dig it out.
notmiserlouagain
Love the music bigtime *red threat* *mad for sadness* I´d say had an influence on my life,
also pointed out to me by a good friend who is no more, so that´s linked...
My actual musical interest has wandered since then, but today will be A.S. day for me, This is fun!

btw: don´t know about scottish and darkness, as much as I love the idea,
they got counterbalanced by Belle&Sebastian
Miley Cyrus
onthebandwagon
I got into Arab Strap in the early Napster days but didn’t listen beyond The First Big Weekend stuff until recently. I do like the musically progression but while I still find some of the lyrics to be rather poignant he seemed to of gotten stuck...but could say the same about myself.

It just occurred to me that Sun Kil Moon’s lyrics have a similar confessional real to life aspect...and he’s apparently a real fucking bastard.

Hard not to appreciate the spirit behind this though:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VjDwit8ryEA

“We were on up stage, I heard a classic drum fill
Blasting a hundred decibels over the hill
It was getting pretty loud, I asked who it was
A guy in a raincoat shouted back, "They're called 'War On Drugs!'"
It sounded like basic John Fogerty rock
I said, "This next song's called 'The War On Drugs Can Suck My Cock'"
mckenic
A mate and I were going through similar breakups back in the day. We were in the pub smoking and we are both guitarists. We danced around the subject for a bit and I said "Fuck it! We should make instrumental music that makes us feel like this without the hash."

We were listening to Mogwai, Felt, Arab Strap, Dirty Three and so on to get in that groove. Seems we never got out - I looked this summer and our first youtube upload was... 1999. So we have been doing this for the laugh for the past 20 years!

Love it.
Clockgate
craigie77 wrote:

I grew up with them,

I was working in Linlithgow, and lived in Grangemouth for a time, and was a big fan. At night, the BP refinery looked like the set from a sci-fi dystopia movie.
craigie77
Clockgate wrote:
craigie77 wrote:

I grew up with them,

I was working in Linlithgow, and lived in Grangemouth for a time, and was a big fan. At night, the BP refinery looked like the set from a sci-fi dystopia movie.

im sure the pollutant's scale up massively during the night,but aye, grangemouth's a pretty Door place

kinda like Bladerunner,

Linlithgow's a lovely place tho. a bit dear to live but very easy on the eyes
onthebandwagon
Doesn’t get much better than piglet does it?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion  
Page 1 of 1