MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

disting mk4 audio playback issues in 4.12.1
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Author disting mk4 audio playback issues in 4.12.1
mikebarber
ever since i got my two disting mk4s months ago, i’ve been banging my head against the wall thinking i’m too dumb to figure out how to use the disting properly, but it looks like the firmware may be to blame. very frustrating

i’ve been trying to get the audio playback (I1) to work, but nothing i do seems to work. i’ve reformatted my SD card and updated the latest firmware too many times to count.

i’m using a sandisk extreme 64GB U3 formatted via mac disk utility as MS-DOS (FAT) with master boot record.

i have two disting mk4s and both are behaving identically. what i try on one, i do so on the other and have consistent results.

i updated the firmware to 4.12.1, and when i load only the example folder (with the playlist and WAV files), power up the disting, and navigate to algorithm I1 the LED screen goes blank.

reverting the firmware to 4.9 seems to get I1 working again, but why not firmware 4.12.1?

i’ve been wrestling with this one algorithm in particular, thinking it was my fault because both my distings were behaving identically, but who knows what other algorithms aren’t working properly as well.

i’m very frustrated and hope i can get help to get them working, otherwise i’m going to just curse them and be rid of them.
os
@mikebarber Splitting this off to a separate thread.
os
I just downloaded the example from
http://expert-sleepers.co.uk/downloads/content/disting_sd_content_v4_8 .zip

and put it in 4.12.1, with nothing else on the card, and it worked. So I'm wondering if you have any other files on the card that might be the problem?
chiavere
Hi - I had the exact same problem, and exchanged some emails with Os a while back before I left the country (and my system) for a stretch, so I dropped the ball on following up, but I just checked, and my unit was still having the same issue....

**UPDATE: I checked, and I was on 4.10.3 -- I just updated to 4.12.1, and all seems totally ok with my unit now re: this issue! It's peanut butter jelly time!

Hope you get yours sorted, as well...
jamos
I too am having audio issues with 4.12.1, specifically with algorithm I6 (playback with speed and reverse.) I wonder if the problem is simply the documentation for the playlist feature.

I have four folders in the root of my drive:
Wavetables
Propaganda
help
!RECORD

The playlist in the root of my drive is

disting playlist v1
Wavetables
Propaganda

So it should be skipping the !Record folder.. and yet
... the !RECORD folder sometimes comes up as the default folder when I start (and files play from there)
... The disting often locks up when changing folders.. the display is either blank or random pixels go bright
... when I look in the !RECORD folder there are .reversed versions of many of the files, which indicates that I6 is going through the folder and trying to make backwards copies.

What is the best way to manage these folders, and to get Disting to ignore certain folders?
os
There's a known bug in the case that a folder is listed in the playlist, but the folder is empty or doesn't contain any WAV files.

Is 'Wavetables' the folder for wavetables, as required by the wavetable algorithms from 4.11 onwards? If so, and that's folders of wavetables rather than concatenated WAV files, that might explain it.
jamos
That very well could be the case. I will try it tonight.. thanks!
jamos
OK, I looked at a few things and learned...

- The Wavetables folder is full of loose 32-bit mono files.

so I took that out of playlist .txt.. also saved that using ANSI instead of UTF-8 encoding.. and now it works fine, or seems to. Only the Propaganda folder is visible to the I5 algorithm, and it does not hang. The display still acts funny when changing folders (or attempting to, as there is only one) - it's like it puts up the first column of pixels in PROCESSING, then hangs briefly - but it is not a hard lock.
kotzeone
hi folks.

I just got my mk4 and I curious what I'm doing wrong here.... I read the manual over and over, watched the ES videos and tried to research the web, but I couldn't really figure it out.

The manual says, that in sample playback Z speed (Algo I 4) mode, output B should spit out triggers depending on my playlist entries.
All the samples are playing well, but how do I get the triggers out of B? I only get a left andright output...

My playlist looks like this:

disting playlist v1
kicksample01.wav
-loop=0
-clocks=1
-retriggerOnSampleChange=0
snaresample02.wav
-loop=0
-clocks=1
-retriggerOnSampleChange=0
beatloop03.wav
-loop=1
-clocks=8
-triggers=4
beatloop04.wav
-loop=1
-clocks=8
-triggers=4
BillLoop05.wav
-loop=0
-retriggerOnSampleChange=1
-clocks=8
-triggers=4
BillLoop06.wav
-loop=1
-clocks=8
-triggers=4
antwoord07.wav
-loop=1
-clocks=4
-triggers=4
Montano08.wav
-loop=1
-clocks=4
-triggers=4

thanks for some help...

Dead Banana [/img]
os
Could you please attach the actual playlist file? There might be a formatting error that won't show up if you just copy the contents into a post like above.
kotzeone
hmff...how do I do that?

how can I attach a .txt file to a post?
sorry for being an idiot ....

hmmm..... [/list]
os
kotzeone
I see....
os
The file contents are fine, but the name is wrong, if you're using a recent firmware version. The algorithm-specific file naming was removed. It should just be 'playlist.txt'.
kotzeone
thanks for the help. unfortunately, this didn't do the trick :-( I'm still getting audio out of B
os
What firmware version do you have? How are the files arranged on the card?
kotzeone
I use firmware 4.10.2
I only have one folder containing 8 wave samples. I tried it without using a folder earlier, because the manual said all files should be in the root. But than the disting couln't find any samples at all. (display showing : no folder)
after I put them into the folder, it would play them accurately.
os
And is the playlist in the folder too?
kotzeone
heureca! we're not worthy

that was the mistake. thank you so much!
loafer
jamos wrote:
... The disting often locks up when changing folders.. the display is either blank or random pixels go bright

I had this issue as well, then I grabbed a coffee and when I came back it had loaded the samples. After that I thought it might be an issue with loading speed/filesize. I searched for the fastest sd-card in the house and also deleted any samples that were really huge (80mb+). After that I still got the random dot on screen, but it loaded the samples and then came back. It's not fast but at least it seems the formatting was correct.

Is this load time expected or am I doing something wrong?
os
Files are slower to read if they contain metadata e.g. loop marker information. Typically this is stored right at the end of the file, which means the disting has to wade through the whole file to get at it. If you're not using the metadata, stripping it out will enable to disting to process the files more quickly.
loafer
os wrote:
Files are slower to read if they contain metadata e.g. loop marker information. Typically this is stored right at the end of the file, which means the disting has to wade through the whole file to get at it. If you're not using the metadata, stripping it out will enable to disting to process the files more quickly.

Oh nice, thanks for the tip. I'm pretty sure they currently contain metadata. I'll try removing them when I get home from work. Thanks! thumbs up
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Page 1 of 1