CV Tools for Ableton Live

Reaktor, MAX/MSP, VST/AU, etc. A place for all things soft....

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

The_hitcher
Common Wiggler

CV Tools for Ableton Live

Post by The_hitcher » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:54 pm

Has anyone seen the new capabilities from Ableton Live? I saw a video explaining them and was wondering if anyone has used them with their rig. Apparently if you route audio into Live, you can have Live calibrate the V/Oct signal so that the oscillator will stay in tune over multiple octaves. Seems promising. I'm wondering what interfacing configurations will work with this technology. Anyone use it yet?

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:30 pm

Illiac
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Illiac » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:11 pm

Both of those posts are about the Synovatron module of the same name, not Ableton's CV Tools devices.

It's nice, albiet nothing groundbreaking. I'm just using it with a MOTU Ultralite. Need to dig into into sampling CV a bit more. Here's a pretty comprehensive vid from Sonicstate:

[video][/video]

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:24 pm

Illiac wrote:
Both of those posts are about the Synovatron module of the same name, not Ableton's CV Tools devices.
Oh whoops! Didn't even bother reading them. :ripbanana: I'm sure there are threads about Ableton's CV tools somewhere.

The_hitcher
Common Wiggler

Post by The_hitcher » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:33 am

It's nice, albiet nothing groundbreaking. I'm just using it with a MOTU Ultralite. Need to dig into into sampling CV a bit more. Here's a pretty comprehensive vid from Sonicstate:
So you're using the optical out to interface with your modular via the??? Expert Sleepers ES-8? Thanks for the video btw, it's where I got the lowdown on a lot of what it can do but it didn't mention much about what the interface config was.

Jlevine711
Common Wiggler

Post by Jlevine711 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:43 pm

Is it possible to send triggers via the CV In module? I was hoping to use my Metron to trigger drum racks in Ableton. Thanks!
Electronic musician based in Houston, TX.

Original Music: https://soundcloud.com/htxedifice

DJ Mixes: www.mixcloud.com/htxedifice/

Facebook Page: www.facebook.com/htxedifice/

jdaddyaz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jdaddyaz » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:56 pm

Only with DC coupled inputs, which to my understanding only expert sleeper devices offer.
Be good to yourself, and be good to others.

The_hitcher
Common Wiggler

Post by The_hitcher » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:11 am

Got my ES-8 to discover I'll need to use either my normal audio interface as the i/o or the ES-8. I didn't realize I couldn't just use the ES-8 and my audio interface @ the same time. Am I missing something? I tried using the ES-8 to come out to my mixer and it was distorted as all get out. Time to upgrade my interface I guess...

morgulbee
Common Wiggler

Post by morgulbee » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:31 am

The_hitcher wrote:Got my ES-8 to discover I'll need to use either my normal audio interface as the i/o or the ES-8. I didn't realize I couldn't just use the ES-8 and my audio interface @ the same time. Am I missing something? I tried using the ES-8 to come out to my mixer and it was distorted as all get out. Time to upgrade my interface I guess...
If you're on Windows you could try Asio4all to make both interfaces look like one. Mac has interface aggregation built-in. In either case it works for some people and doesn't for others.

The_hitcher
Common Wiggler

Post by The_hitcher » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:11 am

morgulbee wrote: If you're on Windows you could try Asio4all to make both interfaces look like one. Mac has interface aggregation built-in. In either case it works for some people and doesn't for others.
This worked! Thank you. I had an ASIO driver but not 4all. It took some figuring which inputs/outputs were what because it just aggregated all inputs and outputs. Pysched to get this rolling.

Is there a way to send CV from a sequencer to Live to have it adjust/quantize before sending to VCO?

Return to “Music Software”