MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Aphex Twin on the Rephlex years
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion  
Author Aphex Twin on the Rephlex years
hongaars
Interesting read:
www.residentadvisor.net/features/3509
francoprussian
It's quite good. But I wish for once an Aphex interview wasn't accompanied by annoying 'cutting-edge' web tech that looks like Hackers. Miss his soundcloud spasm. That was so cool and mutation-free.
neandrewthal
What the fuck were they thinking? That is so incredibly annoying to read.

If I try to read the paragraphs too soon after they become ungarbled my brain does this weird thing where it refuses to allow me to make sense of them until I've checked to make sure it's all real words first.
francoprussian
Also if you go back up the page it's all re-garbled
Reese P. Dubin
That text thing is some real 2009 type stuff.
Really enjoying his modern down to earth, not always taking the piss attitude.
Panason
He sounds less like a tosser now, compared to what was indicated by prior behavior. I suppose he's comfortable!
His mentioned likes in music are surprising. I find most of his own music rather annoying to listen to (brings to mind hyperactive/autistic savant children on designer psychedelics) despite being technically ingenious.
The mention of raves in Cornwall being special has me intrigued as I live in Cornwall now. Hard to see it still going on!
JakeE
I think it's fine to read i had no problem, just needs two seconds to straighten out.

I am from Cornwall and Im a massive fan of Richards music. I Wish I was around back then (I wasn't even born when Rephlex started). I have got quite a long way to go with exploring Rephlex's catalogue, it would be cool if they had a bandcamp page so you could buy everything in one place. I have recently been listening to Bochum Welts releases.
There is occasionally raves around (here if we are talking about raves in a field) but I usually find the music is lacking somewhat, not everything is bad but a lot of the time it's mostly jump-up dnb, tech-house, psytrance and drumcode techno.
I don't recall hearing much electro/techno/idm/braindance by or on the likes of AFX/Drexciya/UR/Warp/Rephlex etc at a rave down here sad banana .
Maybe I am just going to the wrong raves or have a bad memory haha.
There is a decent "club night" once in a while but we are pretty short on clubs and venues especially ones that stay open past 2am. Often not enough people turn up so promoters don't bother anymore as they loose money.
idontknow
Big fan of the man over here, but this interview is really really annoying, and faaaar from being original.
You can guess that the questions were prepared in advance and sent to him, there's no relation btw answers, meaning this is no discussion, and that's sad..
I know I'm a bit biased because of the amazing interview he did with a friend of his interviewing him (been looking for the link for 10mins..)
But anyway, always good to grasps things about him
francoprussian
Dead:

http://noyzelab.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/syrobonkers-part1.html
http://noyzelab.blogspot.de/2014/11/syrobonkers-part2.html

They must be cached somewhere. Archive.org is blocked in the UK on my network so can't check.
dubonaire
francoprussian wrote:
Dead:

http://noyzelab.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/syrobonkers-part1.html
http://noyzelab.blogspot.de/2014/11/syrobonkers-part2.html

They must be cached somewhere. Archive.org is blocked in the UK on my network so can't check.

I know David Burraston, in fact I bought my first Euro modules from him. You can reach the interviews here. https://rareafx.wordpress.com/dave-noyze-syrobonkers-interview-novembe r-2014/

Still not clear how much of those interviews are taking the piss. Nothing is blocked if you use VPN.

Yeah Richard James seems to be cool now but, you know, he's older now and people do mellow. Such a creative person, as were his peers. Interesting he liked Chicago house because so many IDM heads hate music like Chicago house and I think it's awesome.
Panason
Yeah it was the mention of Chicago house that surprised me as I thought he'd be the type to dislike booty shaking stuff.

Quote:
There is occasionally raves around (here if we are talking about raves in a field) but I usually find the music is lacking somewhat, not everything is bad but a lot of the time it's mostly awful jump-up dnb, tech-house, psytrance and drumcode techno.

yeah those are millenials on bad drugs help I went to one near Brighton a few years back and it was a mess with 2 sound systems competing and blasting out nosebleed ketamine garbage and a bunch of screwed up kids looking for trouble.

It's all about the raves organised by old school ravers who didn't burn out!
Rare, but it's better this way.
dubonaire
Panason wrote:
Yeah it was the mention of Chicago house that surprised me as I thought he'd be the type to dislike booty shaking stuff.

Chicago house can be pretty banging, a lot of people would call some older Chicago house techno these days. Also don't forget Selected Ambient Works 85-92.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion  
Page 1 of 1