MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Say what you see!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Say what you see!
Sounds From The Shed
Ok this thread is for calling out stuff you have played with and rejected and why? Or for stuff you have not played with and why? You have to be more in depth for not using it so why?

francoprussian
francoprussian
I had a Novation Bass station 3 times (2x keyboard 1x rack)! Each time i thought i could get past the annoying thing of having two envelopes controlled by one set of knobs. NOPE>
Sounds From The Shed
francoprussian wrote:
I had a Novation Bass station 3 times (2x keyboard 1x rack)! Each time i thought i could get past the annoying thing of having two envelopes controlled by one set of knobs. NOPE>

I've a mono station and thought the Bass Station would be good, that's interesting to know...
Sounds From The Shed
francoprussian wrote:

That's funny, nearly tempted me into bringing out the George and Zippy rainbow video but i held off for the sake of the thread thumbs up

Anyway carry on , Say what you see/think, whats your duff synth and why?
jabberwalky
Sounds From The Shed wrote:
francoprussian wrote:

I've a mono station and thought the Bass Station would be good, that's interesting to know...

He means the original Bass Station FYI.
Sounds From The Shed
jabberwalky wrote:
francoprussian wrote:

He means the original Bass Station FYI.

Sorry i missed that, anyway , tell us what you hate!

Say what you see! thumbs up
joeTron
Guitars and basses that require active pick ups. What I hate is the nagging question that I can't ignore, "At what point do I change the batteries?" or "Should I take them out and test them?"
GrantB
Standalone multitrack audio recorders without direct outs per track. What if I don't want to mix in a DAW or in your crippled device?
sutekina bipu-on
I've had an rs7000 three times and i always put in an honest effort to wrap my mind around how it works and use it once, just once as the master brain of my studio, but i don't have a 160 IQ, so very frustrating
tioJim
Eurorack

Too expensive, too fiddly, too complicated. Only makes music for house plants.

Just teasing with the last point but I do mean the others!

There's some amazing stuff done with it but it was wasted on this schmo thumbs up
Licudi
nm
EATyourGUITAR
ultra random analog. not enough documentation about how it is internally wired. I had to dig through a long thread and test it all out. you lose some features when you use some features. you will never be able to use everything on the module at once. it is super dense but the use I got out of it was about equal to a module with less knobs and a less confusing interface. if I need to sit for hours figuring out a workaround for some hidden feature that is not obvious from the front panel then I will not enjoy using it or simply not use it to it's full potential.
Sounds From The Shed
Ok I'm going for the Elektron Analogue 4, I've owned 4, funny enough, but have not got on with it,

I was going to say it sounds bad, but I'd rather say shite, too much menu diving, weak sounds, and just encourages the 4x4 monotonous techno crap that anyone could do. Has a cool sequencer but it only encourages the same boring repetitive shit you hear on youtube. I think it's an instrument for beginners, has a cult following , of beginners. Woeful instrument.

That sounds so rude!!!! but I honestly believe thats true based on my experience and the sort of question I have to answer.
IR
GrantB wrote:
Standalone multitrack audio recorders without direct outs per track. What if I don't want to mix in a DAW or in your crippled device?

Henstoothâ„¢ Deluxe Digital Multitrack Recorder.
GrantB
IR wrote:
GrantB wrote:

I googled it, just in case waah
sutekina bipu-on
EATyourGUITAR wrote:
ultra random analog. not enough documentation about how it is internally wired. I had to dig through a long thread and test it all out. you lose some features when you use some features. you will never be able to use everything on the module at once. it is super dense but the use I got out of it was about equal to a module with less knobs and a less confusing interface. if I need to sit for hours figuring out a workaround for some hidden feature that is not obvious from the front panel then I will not enjoy using it or simply not use it to it's full potential.

Sooooo true of just about anything hyper-random i've tried messing with...

GrantB needs a MixPre and then an ADAT setup specifically for pushing every track to an analog board. lol
GrantB
sutekina bipu-on wrote:

GrantB needs a MixPre and then an ADAT setup specifically for pushing every track to an analog board. lol

I want a MixPre 10T with the I/O compliment of an ADAT that can sync and overdub at the same time.
Rex Coil 7
joeTron wrote:
Guitars and basses that require active pick ups. What I hate is the nagging question that I can't ignore, "At what point do I change the batteries?" or "Should I take them out and test them?"
Worse yet, when you leave the active bass (or guitar) in it's case for a year and you forget about the fact that it's an active instrument ... so when you eventually pull it from it's case and suddenly a state of panic washes over you as you realize the batteries are probably leaking acid inside of the control cavity or the battery pocket.

Hypothetically, of course.

(who, me? .... Pffft! ... I've never done such a stupid thing)

~ahem~

meh
IR
GrantB wrote:
IR wrote:
GrantB wrote:

I googled it, just in case waah

Sorry about that joke.

There was a Korg D888, but there was something weird about the outs, I don't remember exactly but I guess it's in the manual. Plus you can't use your own effects instead of the built-in ones, so I never got one.

naturligfunktion
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
joeTron wrote:
Worse yet, when you leave the active bass (or guitar) in it's case for a year and you forget about the fact that it's an active instrument ... so when you eventually pull it from it's case and suddenly a state of panic washes over you as you realize the batteries are probably leaking acid inside of the control cavity or the battery pocket.

Hypothetically, of course.

(who, me? .... Pffft! ... I've never done such a stupid thing)

~ahem~

meh

Second this. I also always manage to plug in the active instrument in the passive input, which makes me really anxious, thinking that I destroyed everything, so active pick ups is a big no no.
JimY
Midi controllers generally.
From the ancient Keyfax Phatboy onwards, I've never got on with them.
I kept trying right up to the last one I bought which was an Edirol PCR800 and that was quite a while ago now. I have simply given up expecting anything better to appear.
Panason
One obvious word: Elektron.

The hate is E T E R N A L
Never maintain cash savings again
MindMachine
joeTron wrote:

Yes.

Small font on EVERYTHING. I mean I am getting older but my eyes are fine. And still squint... get the little studio flashlight... I need one of those old school doctors head mirrors.
calaveras
Ok I'm going for the Elektron Analogue 4, I've owned 4, funny enough, but have not got on with it,

I was going to say it sounds bad, but I'd rather say shite, too much menu diving, weak sounds, and just encourages the 4x4 monotonous techno crap that anyone could do. Has a cool sequencer but it only encourages the same boring repetitive shit you hear on youtube. I think it's an instrument for beginners, has a cult following , of beginners. Woeful instrument.

That sounds so rude!!!! but I honestly believe thats true based on my experience and the sort of question I have to answer.

I've been close to giving up on mine a few times. All the timbres I end up at are kind of samey. But I like how I can sequence Eurorack with it and sync it with my Machinedrum.
BTW you can change the time sig. It's not an obscure thing.

My turn,
The Novation SL MKII. I've owned it for 5 years? Maybe 6? Still can't get it to do anything but be a nice controller keyboard for one synth at a time.
I spent a whole day making a template for my Streichfett. When I tried to make a second template for another synth it screwed up the first. Never been able to get it to do half the things it is supposed to do. And Automap server crashes every other day.
The XY pad and drum pads feel cheap and are very unplayable.
The biggest thing I hate about it, is the design by committee screw up of the displays.
If you look at it closely, it appears to have 2 displays above the controls. But it just has the one display on the left.
In fact, if you open it up, there are even the connections and mounting points for a second display! Seems they got down to the last week before shipping it and the bean counters clobbered the engineers with a spiral bound quarterly report. Deducting that display from the BOM.

This thing is a prime candidate for a Mod to have two displays. But AFAIK you would have to hack the firmware and maybe the Automap software. And for all that touble, why not just get a used Mackie HUI for your DAW, and a Midi controller keybed. I may still yet buy a used SLMKII on AddictBay and attempt some surgery. Worst that can happens is it goes poof and I buy a controller in current production.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2