MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Instruo incoming
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Instruo incoming
hawkfuzz
https://www.instruomodular.com/product/vinca/
https://www.instruomodular.com/product/athru/

Anyone know anything about the VCA or wavefolder? I know the wavefolders in their oscillators differ. Is this the Cs-L version or different altogether?

Also, "chain" is mention in the description of the new VCA. Is this the MIX OUT kind or the 3-pin kind?
mdoudoroff
Jason seems like a terrific guy and a unique and accomplished module designer, but Instruo’s marketing is … unreliable.

I’ve had the best luck emailing him directly.
Sanys
separate wavefolder yummy
would like to hear it
TheRosskonian
hawkfuzz wrote:

Also, "chain" is mention in the description of the new VCA. Is this the MIX OUT kind or the 3-pin kind?

I think it was one of the big shows in 2018 where he talked about those VCAs and thier linking capability. You just use a patch cable to link them together, it's just a normal jack behind the panel. Wish more people stole this idea. I don't own any of his VCAs yet, so this may have changed.
hawkfuzz
So instead of a 3-pin ribbon cable, like others have been using, it's a 1/8" connector on the back of the module?

That's neat.
soon_come
The athru is amazing; I was testing one out for him and have nothing but good things to say about it. I love using it as a kind of fake VCA which folds when you increase the amplitude of the incoming envelope. Sounds fantastic on all of my oscillators, really - especially with sines. Jason is a fantastic guy and provides great friendly service.
Footkerchief
Any demos of Athrú yet?
soon_come
https://www.instagram.com/p/B0WeLYDF-wC/

Not quite a demo, but it’ll give you an idea of the sound.
deftinwulf
soon_come wrote:
The athru is amazing; I was testing one out for him and have nothing but good things to say about it. I love using it as a kind of fake VCA which folds when you increase the amplitude of the incoming envelope.

That sounds fascinating. Really want to hear demos in action! SlayerBadger!
nectarios
soon_come wrote:

Hmm, well it sounds like a wavefolder...anyone knows if there is a second audio input that can be summed in the folder? The only thing that could be it is the bottom left jack, but of course I am just assuming that.

Vinca is nice, but its 200€ so not for me.

I am looking for a small wavefolder though and I was almost sure it was the Dannysound Timbre I was getting.
hawkfuzz
There's only one input.
MvK
I checked the wavefolder at schneidersladen and I believe it was a faulty unit because when the fader was all the way down there was considerable noise and some sizzling sound. I contacted instruo about that a week ago but didn't hear anything from them (him) yet. But man, I love this wavefolder. I was very interested in the smoothness of the transition when the folding increases and I know from some wavefolders that there are some gaps. I guess this is in the nature of wavefolders because everytime when the signal is folding you can hear some aprupt changes in the sound even if you increase the folding very slowly. some do it nice and smooth, others not so much. This one is really perfect in that regard.

there is a 2nd audio input and it works very well. I put 2 different oscs which were synced and got a very rich yet harmonically pleasing sound out of it.

there is a nice sheet on facebook here:

FB-link
nios
MvK wrote:
when the fader was all the way down there was considerable noise and some sizzling sound.

I've had this happen with three different (analog) wavefolders under certain settings/conditions, they either are really vulnerable to system noise bleed including from power supply and being able to hear other oscs in the system on the output (with no audio patched in), and/or they can make staticy/scratchy sounds as you manipulate certain parts of them. Digital folders like Warps don't have this, but that's perhaps not too surprising.

I have a Cs-L and the folders on those are prone to making scratchy/poppy sounds vastly dependent on how your other parameters are set; let me guess, you're hearing noise when adjusting the bias right? It's not always prevalent however and I don't hear the system bleeding through, aka can't hear myself adjusting an osc not patched to anything several rows above through the wavefolder out, looking at you Doepfer A-137-1 (which is actually a super fantastic module otherwise, I just had to make efforts to isolate it). I will say, that the folder on the DPO does not have any of these issues and feels/sounds like butter to use, so "it's just because analog folders do that" is not the explanation, so much as it's common and happens to be how Instruo's folders go. That or my Cs-L is also glitchy, although I really don't think so. Rather I like the thing so much I'd be annoyed having to send it away for a few weeks and not get to play it MY ASS IS BLEEDING
soon_come
nectarios wrote:
soon_come wrote:

Hmm, well it sounds like a wavefolder...anyone knows if there is a second audio input that can be summed in the folder? The only thing that could be it is the bottom left jack, but of course I am just assuming that.

There’s no second input for summing; that’s a strike input for triggering a built-in envelope, kinda like a LPG or something. I’m not sure how the envelope is actually generated, but IIRC there’s a trimmer on the back for its decay.
nectarios

This appears to be the second input with switch selecting the function of the little pot between a bias control or attenuverer for the input signal.
soon_come
Ah yes, you’re right - I didn’t really think of that as a second input for AC signals; I’ve been using it just for DC offset. But it is indeed a second input... I’ll have to do some more experiments to see how it reacts when another audio signal is passed through for summing.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1