Buchla patch question

Discussing some incredible modules that don't quite fit into the other forum categories.

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

Post Reply
seraphon
Common Wiggler
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:13 pm

Buchla patch question

Post by seraphon » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:28 am

What is the most "economic" way to "open" an osc exponentially and at the end of the envelope, end in a "strike"-type lpg "bongo"? Does that really involve at the very least say the 259, 281, 292 and the 256? Thanks for any tips. :hmm:

User avatar
vgermuse
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2990
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:42 pm
Location: ashland, oregon

Re: Buchla patch question

Post by vgermuse » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:36 pm

seraphon wrote:What is the most "economic" way to "open" an osc exponentially and at the end of the envelope, end in a "strike"-type lpg "bongo"? Does that really involve at the very least say the 259, 281, 292 and the 256? Thanks for any tips. :hmm:
Hmm...I’ll give it a whirl but I’m not sure I fully understand the question...
The phrase “open an osc” has me stumped. We could “open” or “engage and increase” the timbre or symmetry or high order of a 259...or we could
“open” a lo pass gate or vca.

I chose to increase the timbre on a 261e and open the 281e with velocity
(gray jack) and ping the 281e at the end of the cycle with the 281e in
quadrature mode. In reality the bong sounds great but not so much
on this, my cellphone recording—video/audio of patch here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kf2i06u35hzcq ... o.MOV?dl=0

seraphon
Common Wiggler
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:13 pm

Post by seraphon » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:44 am

Thanks for the reply! Ah yes, I can see the wording was ambigious (or wrong!) sorry about that. I meant «open up the lpg with an exponential envelope», ending in a bang. Quadrature mode; Ah that Helps. Still need the route through the 256 I guess.

User avatar
dougcl
Number 6
Posts: 4043
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:04 am
Location: Portland OR

Post by dougcl » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:24 pm

The most economical way I can think of has the audio going to two channels of the 292e. Send 281e envelope to one and 281e pulse to the other. Monitor 292e mix output.

User avatar
vgermuse
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2990
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:42 pm
Location: ashland, oregon

Post by vgermuse » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:04 am

dougcl wrote:The most economical way I can think of has the audio going to two channels of the 292e. Send 281e envelope to one and 281e pulse to the other. Monitor 292e mix output.
D’oh! Brilliant! :party:

User avatar
Drillionaire
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 360
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:35 pm

Post by Drillionaire » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:52 am

Another way to get expo/log envelopes out of a 281e is feeding back the 281e's envelope to the decay input. Using a 256e/257e you can attenuate/scale the feedback to switch between log/expo, and add breakpoints so that it will only scale parts of the envelope.

User avatar
vgermuse
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2990
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:42 pm
Location: ashland, oregon

Post by vgermuse » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:00 pm

Drillionaire wrote:Another way to get expo/log envelopes out of a 281e is feeding back the 281e's envelope to the decay input. Using a 256e/257e you can attenuate/scale the feedback to switch between log/expo, and add breakpoints so that it will only scale parts of the envelope.
:tu: :banana:

Post Reply

Return to “Buchla, EMS & Serge”