MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Need advice about my 1st 6U 84hp case
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Need advice about my 1st 6U 84hp case
Public_Joint
Good day, dear sirs!
I'm willing to go modular, had absolutely no experience with it earlier.
I spend some time learning the subject and have budget for the following 6U 84hp system:
https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_980423.jpg
i also have Elektrons Rytm and A4 and planning to sequence a modular with A4 and Keystep for a start. Also have an external small mixer with some effect pedals.
Please could you help with advice - is my rack balanced enough or maybe something important is missing there or its a bit overkilled?

many thanks in advance!
skreetis
The system as it is right now will give you plenty to explore. My one suggestion would be a simple mixer for cv and/or audio, and a bipolar vca like Moddemix, so you could use the Rubicon together with the Dixie as a complex oscillator. I’ve never played them as such myself, but according to lots of folks on here, they make a killer pairing.
cptnal
Looks like a great start. thumbs up

If it were me, on the first pass I'd leave out the uVCF, uVCA and the output module (unless you actually need it). You can always add them later if you want.
rew_
Yes, good start. You could probably start with two oscillators instead of three but you've chosen good ones.

I'd swap an LxD/Optomix/ModDemix for the uVCA. All of those will function as VCAs in addition to providing some extra sonic flavor.

There are smaller output modules than the Erica.
Public_Joint
rew_
cptnal
skreetis
i really appreciate your help thumbs up
will optimize my rack using this info
at least i realised that output module has no sense for me, till i won't be playing live without my soundcraft external mixer smile
and i will swap uvca for moddemix
richc90
I'm not sure what your budget is but I'd really recommend getting a 7U 104 case like the Intellijel one. The 1U row is really useful for utility modules: inputs, outputs, scopes, multiples, etc. And you know you that extra 40HP will be necessary at some point hihi
Public_Joint
richc90 wrote:
I'm not sure what your budget is but I'd really recommend getting a 7U 104 case like the Intellijel one. The 1U row is really useful for utility modules: inputs, outputs, scopes, multiples, etc. And you know you that extra 40HP will be necessary at some point hihi

thanks, i was thinking a lot about case size, and i came to conclusion that 6U 84hp is a proper size to start, i'm a bit slow-witted you know, it will take a lot of time for me to manage all the things even in 6u 84hp hihi
and the price for intellijel/make noise etc. cases is very hot by the way %)
sutekina bipu-on
You can do a lot more than you would think in 6u / 84hp. I limited myself to a single 2x 84hp case for a while and it was probably the most educational thing i could have done for myself. I learned a lot more about a lot of gear i had and what was possible with it than i would have if i had gone straight to filling up a big ass rack.

I eventually expanded it with a 84hp skiff and now i am moving to 9U of 84hp and may or may not keep the skiff around.
Public_Joint
sutekina bipu-on wrote:
You can do a lot more than you would think in 6u / 84hp. I limited myself to a single 2x 84hp case for a while and it was probably the most educational thing i could have done for myself. I learned a lot more about a lot of gear i had and what was possible with it than i would have if i had gone straight to filling up a big ass rack.

I eventually expanded it with a 84hp skiff and now i am moving to 9U of 84hp and may or may not keep the skiff around.

yeah, my main priority is to learn and fully understand those pieces of gear, and then i will see what is missing. made an order today, hope it will be delivered soon
joeTron
I would add a Basimilus Iteritas Alter from Noise Engineering. It does a lot without taking up too much space and without the tiny skinny knobs.

Also, if you're striving for more than mono-duo-phonic synthesis there's no such thing as overkill imo!
solid_choice
I would add a clock divider or maybe a quantizer but that is just me. Maybe a Pam's or Scales first come to mind. Also, why do you think you need so many VCAs?
Public_Joint
solid_choice wrote:
I would add a clock divider or maybe a quantizer but that is just me. Maybe a Pam's or Scales first come to mind. Also, why do you think you need so many VCAs?

Thank you! I was thinking about adding a clock divider, but decided that i don’t really need it right now.
And i don’t think there are many VCAs, besides i have changed uvca to modDemix. As i can see many interesting things are possible using vca not only as amplifier/attenuator of audio signal.
Public_Joint
joeTron wrote:
I would add a Basimilus Iteritas Alter from Noise Engineering. It does a lot without taking up too much space and without the tiny skinny knobs.

Also, if you're striving for more than mono-duo-phonic synthesis there's no such thing as overkill imo!

Probably you are right about overkill smile
Haven’t heard of Basimius Iteritas, i will take a look, thank you
void23
Here's my take on your build ...

[Image removed, ran out of MG space, doh!]

* Removed the Dixie for now. Rubicon will cover those bases for you initially.
* Added a DTM for the Rubicon, you'll want to mix those waveforms together.
* Instead of the mults and mixer, went with a Links for utilities instead plus it also works as a precision adder.
* Added a Disting to at least give you some effects like delay and reverb with the advantage of being able to play with all the different algorithms to explore modular more (Shift register, euclidian, wave tables, sample player, quantizer, etc).
* Went with a Quadra instead of Stages, I have both but the Quadra is just a little more accessible. You can add the expander later to make it one of the best function generators available.
* Switched your second filter to an MMF, for just 4hp, it's a wonderful filter and it has a ping on it (something not very common). The ping is great for making traditional subtractive bass sounds.
* Went with the Black Stereo Mixer instead of the output module. You don't really need an output module if you have a half decent mixer.

I'd also second the recommendation for one of the Intellijel 7u's. They cost a bit more, but they're well built and you can squeeze a lot of functionality into a 1u row without eating HP for the fun stuff. I'd also second the recommendation for some clock utilities, but you'll end up buying that stuff shortly once you get your first set of modules.

Edit: I forgot one thing in that rack, a noise generator with sample and hold (Your choice, but Kinks is nice and simple. Doepfer or Ladik would be other options). It's a great modulation source for adding life to any sequence.
circuitburst
void23 wrote:
Added a Disting to at least give you some effects like delay and reverb with the advantage of being able to play with all the different algorithms to explore modular more (Shift register, euclidian, wave tables, sample player, quantizer, etc)

I definitely also recommend adding a Disting. At only 4 HP it really is a bargain and it provides those missing functions we all want at some point in our Eurorack journey!
Foghorn
Your original case as shown has a lot of sound sources (Rubicon, Plaits, Dixie II) but not too many ways to control them.
All of these VCOs are good, powerful oscillators.
But they need to be told what to do.

Do you have a keyboard?
Maybe you need a sequencer, or two.
A MIDI to CV module if you have some thing to drive it.

Take a look at the Doepfer Trautonium (A-198)
You have to buy a ribbon along with the A-198 but it is really neat.

Foghorn
void23
I'll also second the recommendation for a Basimilus Iteritas Alter or Manis Iteritas (I like the BIA a bit more but the Manis is still new for me) when you take your next steps. They're both extremely unique VCO's, the type of thing you'd only find in eurorack. The BIA can do everything from traditional bass tones to crazy drum sounds. The Manis is pretty much Nine Inch Nails / Skinny Puppy in 10hp. They both love tons of modulation and pair well with a Malekko Voltage Block. There was a great video of Baseck just using the Voltage Block and a BIA for Perfect Cuircut, but I can't seem to find it anymore unfortunately.
Public_Joint
void23 wrote:
I'll also second the recommendation for a Basimilus Iteritas Alter or Manis Iteritas (I like the BIA a bit more but the Manis is still new for me) when you take your next steps. They're both extremely unique VCO's, the type of thing you'd only find in eurorack. The BIA can do everything from traditional bass tones to crazy drum sounds. The Manis is pretty much Nine Inch Nails / Skinny Puppy in 10hp. They both love tons of modulation and pair well with a Malekko Voltage Block. There was a great video of Baseck just using the Voltage Block and a BIA for Perfect Cuircut, but I can't seem to find it anymore unfortunately.

I’m very grateful to you for such a detailed review!
I have already left out second filter, output module and uvca for now. And definetly need some simple mixer with knobs to mix rubicon.
Wanted to buy kinks too, but i’m in russia, some modules not easy to get here, so i choose modules that can be delivered faster, but faster means 4-5 weeks smile for effects i have eventide space and strymon timeline with send-return at external mixer, maybe will try some eurorack effects later.
Still info you have provided is great, i will take it into consideration, thank you!
Public_Joint
Foghorn wrote:
Your original case as shown has a lot of sound sources (Rubicon, Plaits, Dixie II) but not too many ways to control them.
All of these VCOs are good, powerful oscillators.
But they need to be told what to do.

Do you have a keyboard?
Maybe you need a sequencer, or two.
A MIDI to CV module if you have some thing to drive it.

Take a look at the Doepfer Trautonium (A-198)
You have to buy a ribbon along with the A-198 but it is really neat.

Foghorn

For the start i will try to sequence with elektron a4 and arturia keystep, no midi needed for this.
maybe will get some analog sequencer later. Will take a look at A-198, thank you very much!
Public_Joint
circuitburst wrote:
void23 wrote:
Added a Disting to at least give you some effects like delay and reverb with the advantage of being able to play with all the different algorithms to explore modular more (Shift register, euclidian, wave tables, sample player, quantizer, etc)

I definitely also recommend adding a Disting. At only 4 HP it really is a bargain and it provides those missing functions we all want at some point in our Eurorack journey!

Have saw some demos now, cool thing, will try to get it, thanks a lot!
sko87pro
I would add LFOs and one regular ADSR envelope. Also I’m a fan of the HN 3xMIA as a great versatile mixer/inverter/attenuator/offset. Maths can do those things, but why tie up channel 1 or 4 when you just need an LFO? Maths AR envelope is a bit limited when you want to do an ADSR.

So far example:

Eowave Dual BF LFO (VCLFO)
WMD ADSRVCA
Happy Nerding 3xMIA

Also I agree with the comment above about needing Noise and S&H.

HTH
void23
Public_Joint wrote:
void23 wrote:

I’m very grateful to you for such a detailed review!
I have already left out second filter, output module and uvca for now. And definetly need some simple mixer with knobs to mix rubicon.
Wanted to buy kinks too, but i’m in russia, some modules not easy to get here, so i choose modules that can be delivered faster, but faster means 4-5 weeks smile for effects i have eventide space and strymon timeline with send-return at external mixer, maybe will try some eurorack effects later.
Still info you have provided is great, i will take it into consideration, thank you!

I'd highly recommend looking for used stuff when possible. Most modular users take great care of their gear and it's a good way to save at least 20% off retail.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1