MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Great 'Feeling'/'Vibey'/'Organic' Synths
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Great 'Feeling'/'Vibey'/'Organic' Synths
bchampion96
Hi Chaps,

I've been journeying through Eurorack for about two years now, and I've finally nailed down what I like about modular and strange synths in general. The synths I've used and enjoyed most include the 0-coast, Bastl Kastle and the Soma Lyra synths. I think the reason I loved them is that they have just the right limitations in terms of sound, great build quality, as well as a certain obscurity and organic nature that lends them really well to the joy of exploring sound without worrying about excessive patching, performances etc.

Do you have any recommendations of synths to try/buy? At the moment, Ciat-Lonbarde are on the radar as well as a Lyra of my own. The option for good live performance capability would be cool, but isn't necessary.

Cheers!

bchampion96
kinkujin
Hi bchampion96,
If you like Bastl Kastle then i bet you'd love the BitRanger synth as well. It is an absolute blast to play with, and I'm a rank amateur with patching. Easily patchable to external sequencers. Wacky and wonderful company.

Have fun!
-kinkujin
cptnal
I'm a patcher, so I haven't tried it, but this one nearly turned me...

Yes Powder
The Agonizer! Have you heard about our Lord and Savior, Metasonix? The Agonizer!
The S-2000 is an amazing and deceptively quirky device that once you learn to tame it, you will want to use it on everything.
It looks like he's working on something BIG too, but that might be a while until production.

edit: 1,000th post! Woo! w00t
edit 2: I just realized that I wrote S-1000 instead of S-2000, which I meant. I've never used an S-1000, but I love the S-2000.
Muzone
Again, if you're a Kastle fan I can wholly recommend the Soft Pop - it has for me a wonderfully organic and mysterious nature and although self contained can patch well with other synths
francoprussian
Trouser synth

Feels good

Very organic
Technologear?
For great utility and wide diversity, I suggest the Grandmother.
I love the more unusual side of gear too, and the GM has always seemed to encourage me to make bolder wilder sounds. Not once have I patched up something typical with it (although plenty of demos out their showing that it can do that). And it's a pleasure to use.

Ps I find the volcas to be good as a sync source for my kastle. Midi->volca->1/8 to kastle.
diffrentstrolks
Benjolin for in the rack obscurity (and gurgles)

MFB Megazwerg for an example of less is more in modular

Nozoid OCS-2 for a digital version of the above with no patch cables! (ok, there are 5 inputs; but the rest is hidden)

LepLoop for the weirdest drummer I know

Lorre Mille Double Knot for (k)not knowing what you're doing and enjoying it

Koma Field Kits and/or Littlebits (not just the Korg Synth Bits either!) for feeling like a baby genius
dubonaire
This is not going to seem like what you are talking about, but the Prophet Rev2 is surprisingly vibey and organic. It's not what people think it is.
lud
Bugbrand synths! nanners
soundinett
Dave Smith Desktop Evolver. Very Organic, very disciplined, very strange. Depends on who plays it. As always.
3hands
This isn’t what you were expecting, and I may get a lot of raised eyebrows for this, but the Oberheim Matrix 6 is one of the most organic machines I’ve ever owned. It’s an unreal synth and it’s still inexpensive.
Red Electric Rainbow
The Kawai K Series is really cool IMO.
You can get a lot of mileage out of a Virus and the Alesis Ion is really wicked too.
slumberjack
dubonaire wrote:
This is not going to seem like what you are talking about, but the Prophet Rev2 is surprisingly vibey and organic. It's not what people think it is.

Also mk1 will do the trick, dsi tetra too.
Muzone
Organic sounding Vs organic operation ?
I would guess most decent synths can be made to produce squelchy oozing slices of organic sound, but those the OP mentions are (IMO) more towards organic operation, as in a bit unpredictable and capable of surprising you with the sounds you produce.

A big ole slab of polysynth is always going to give you just what you program it to - impressive yes, surprising and obscure probably not.......
GrantB
Muzone wrote:
I would guess most decent synths can be made to produce squelchy oozing slices of organic sound, but those the OP mentions are (IMO) more towards organic operation, as in a bit unpredictable and capable of surprising you with the sounds you produce.

A big ole slab of polysynth is always going to give you just what you program it to - impressive yes, surprising and obscure probably not.......

I agree with this general idea WRT polysynths. I think it's particularly evident if you listen to a lot of the Moog One demos. It can be simple and predictable but if enough subtle modulations and controllers are programmed it can become quite floppy and fuzzy.

As a CL and Lyra player though, I have to say that there's more going on there than the operation. Both are designed to resist attempts at precisely repeating sounds. A gongue for instance may or may not trigger, and the whole purpose of the quantussy is to produce unpredictable oscillations. In the Lyra 8, there is always a small amount of modulation between oscillators even when modulation is turned off, which is the organismic part. You can not operate your way around it; it is the signature sound of the instrument and is intentional.
bchampion96
kinkujin wrote:
Hi bchampion96,
If you like Bastl Kastle then i bet you'd love the BitRanger synth as well. It is an absolute blast to play with, and I'm a rank amateur with patching. Easily patchable to external sequencers. Wacky and wonderful company.

Have fun!
-kinkujin

Definitely got to get me more bastl as you and a few others have mentioned smile Bitranger and softpop on the list!
bchampion96
dubonaire wrote:

A bit pedestrian for me sadly. Sequential have no quality control either, so that can and likely will become problematic razz
bchampion96
GrantB wrote:
Both are designed to resist attempts at precisely repeating sounds.

YES, this is where it's at smile
bchampion96
Muzone wrote:

It's definitely been my experience with polysynths. Program them and you get a predictable result. I guess it's more a focus on organic operation then, but the organic sound is always nice too smile
calaveras
IMHO vibey and organic sounding derives mostly from the filter.
The moog lowpass filter is quite well regarded. But I worship at a different church.
Just about any synth with the Oberheim SEM filter is just off the charts amazing sounding. It can do a very warm soft sound. But also sharp aggressive sounds, with the same filter. You don't get that self osc that the Moog and Roland filters do well.
But I'll sacrifice that one feature for the glowing, vibrant SEM.
As far as Sequential synths, I know they have had problems in the past. I count that as growing pains. I've been an OB6 owner for half a year and it is such an incredible synth. It's like a Prophet 5 with the Oberheim filter.
dubonaire
bchampion96 wrote:
dubonaire wrote:

A bit pedestrian for me sadly. Sequential have no quality control either, so that can and likely will become problematic razz

I wonder if you've actually spent much time using one.

It has 2 oscs per voice; 3 envelope generators: filter, VCA, and assignable (four-stage ADSR + delay), envelope 3 can loop; polyphonic step sequencer with up to 64 steps (6 notes per step), and ties and rests, separate 16 x 4 gated step sequencer, each layer can have a separate sequence; 4 LFO’s with key sync per LFO; 8-slot modulation matrix with 22 sources and 53 destinations and a programmable arpeggiator.

There is massive scope for making so many different kinds of sounds with all that modulation and it sounds amazing. I was blown away when I started using it. Not remotely pedestrian. Don't go by the presets because they've always tended to load vintage type presets which don't really show off how modern the synths can sound.

I don't know why you think Sequential has no quality control. What proof do you have of that? My desktop Rev2 is a quality product. Sequential currently offers ten different synths and sells a lot of them. If you read the Sequential forums there are very few complaints about quality problems and as far as I can tell they provide good support. Unlike some manufacturers they are very active on the forums too. They definitely dropped the ball for a while on some bug fixes for the Tempest but that is more an outlier than the norm.

Of course it's your choice, I'm just saying this to help you make informed choices. It actually sounds to me what you are really asking for is a quirky looking synth with an arcane interface that does less than it appears to. 0-coast is relatively simple and conventional, it just has a barely legible font. Ciat-Lonbarde is your obvious choice. thumbs up
acidbob
3hands wrote:
This isn’t what you were expecting, and I may get a lot of raised eyebrows for this, but the Oberheim Matrix 6 is one of the most organic machines I’ve ever owned. It’s an unreal synth and it’s still inexpensive.

Agreed ! But M1000 will do as well and the ASOL Semblance/Telemark/Nyborg is up there too but lacks the poly
VM
Have heard excellent things about the Landscape Stereofield. Looks rad too.
Dcramer
I just grabbed me a Blofeld and that is one very flexible architecture, Matrix-6 lovers will appreciate its mod matrix with tons of sources and destination and transforms. Plus it’s 3 Osc, 2 filter, 4 env, 3 lfo, waveshapers, audio rate mod, really cool design and not to hard to program.
It can surely do some organic stuff but still way more digital than my modular stuff. hmmm.....
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2