MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Presonus Studio One Pro - a good beginner DAW?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Author Presonus Studio One Pro - a good beginner DAW?
EasyToAssemble
Hello. Apologies if this is another beginner question. I'm just starting out into modular, without having a really solid background in music, although I have used a few different DAWs in the past. I'm ultimately looking for a good beginner DAW for home production that will also be a little futureproof for when I start to upgrade and require something more sophisticated.

I'm aiming to produce mostly ambient / drone stuff, incorporating external instruments or field recordings - via external effects pedals - and then record/sequence within the DAW, so not really looking to rely much on plugins or DAW effects, although I would still like the option (eg. I don't yet have a drum machine, so plugins may be useful in the meantime for stuff like that). Studio One Pro allows VSTs, so I'd be looking at that version.

Having looked at some of the options, the Presonus Studio One Pro looks like it might fit the bill. Ableton is also quite intuitive (I've played around on this in the past) though quite a bit more expensive. I have no problem with learning a more complex interface (like Cubase, which I used years ago in college) but I think it might be overkill for someone just leaning the ropes.

So would Studio One Pro be a good place to start that will also serve me into the future, or are there better options out there for DAW-novices?
mritenburg
It might be worth your time to tryout the fully functional Studio One Pro 30 day demo. See if you get along with it. No matter which DAW you choose, there will be a steep learning curve. Get the demo and work your way trough some YouTube tutorials.

I use Studio One Pro and I love it. It's rock solid. To me, it's the DAW equivalent of Photoshop. Everything is drag and drop, point and click.

I work in a bunch of different styles. I did these tracks in Studio One:

[s]http://soundcloud.com/labelleaurore/perseverance[/s]

[s]http://soundcloud.com/labelleaurore/519-am[/s]

[s]http://soundcloud.com/labelleaurore/zipped-up-along[/s]

[s]https://soundcloud.com/labelleaurore/air-head[/s]
Panason
Learning another DAW later will be a PITA... Choose the one for you and stick with it. Cubase rules, IMO, if you can afford it. Studio One looks good enough too.. and Presonus also make a control surface for it which would make it much nicer to work with.
EasyToAssemble
mritenburg wrote:
It might be worth your time to tryout the fully functional Studio One Pro 30 day demo. See if you get along with it. No matter which DAW you choose, there will be a steep learning curve. Get the demo and work your way trough some YouTube tutorials.

I use Studio One Pro and I love it. It's rock solid. To me, it's the DAW equivalent of Photoshop. Everything is drag and drop, point and click.

Cool, thanks for the heads up on the demo. Seems a good idea to try out first. For some stupid reason, I didn't even consider trying out demo versions for a few DAWs to compare. Seems like a good thing to do once I have a few ideas.

An intuitive interface isn't a deal breaker, though I suppose if I'm doing things repetitively, I don't want the proces to be harder than it needs to be.

I like your tracks BTW (the 3rd one is pretty crazy).
EasyToAssemble
Panason wrote:
Learning another DAW later will be a PITA... Choose the one for you and stick with it. Cubase rules, IMO, if you can afford it. Studio One looks good enough too.. and Presonus also make a control surface for it which would make it much nicer to work with.

Yeah, I'm trying to futureproof by getting something that won't break the bank while I learn (and allow me to spend that money on some analogue gear), but I'm also hoping to avoid locking myself into a limited piece of software.

Cubase Artist seems inexpensive, compared to Pro, though I'm not sure if it's missing anything vital that a newbie might not know they need (until they try to do something and need to upgrade to do it):

https://new.steinberg.net/cubase/compare-editions/
snadge
Ex Cubase user here, got Reaper, no regrets at all.

60 day trial and $60 to register, extremely powerful.
mritenburg
EasyToAssemble wrote:
Yeah, I'm trying to futureproof by getting something that won't break the bank while I learn (and allow me to spend that money on some analogue gear), but I'm also hoping to avoid locking myself into a limited piece of software.

Thanks for the compliments!

Which ever DAW you choose, the least expensive way to get into the top-tier product is to start with the lowest-tier paid product offered by that company, then be patient. At least once during the year, these companies will run a promotion that will allow you to upgrade to their top-tier product for a fraction of the retail price. Presonus, Steinberg, and Ableton all do this.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Page 1 of 1