MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

More 1v per octave?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author More 1v per octave?
Noodle Twister
I see many oscillators with one 1v per octave socket that also have for example three waveform outputs.

Is there a type of module that has additional 1v per octave sockets so that the user can take advantage of simultaneous OSC's from the same module for melodic purposes ?

That is a separate module with multiple 1v per octave
sockets and outputs for that ?
Gaetan
On a normal oscillator, the different waveforms are derived from the same initial waveform (often saw or triangle), so it is not possible to control the pitch of the different waveforms independently.
naturligfunktion
It would have been severly dope tho, being able to control the pitch of each waveform cool
Yes Powder
What you want is a dual/tri/quad oscillator.
Noodle Twister
I see , so it's one socket to rule them all and in the CV pitch bind them. cry

Thanks for the replies I understand now thumbs up
cptnal
This is where it pays to have multiple oscillators that can generate simple waveforms. And when they're not creating harmonies they can modulate each other. This is fun!

(With a very light hand on the attenuator you can do both.)
Noodle Twister
The vco I have is a dual and currently I'm using a single sine wave for a bassline that sounds good alone or I can wave shape it to sound gritty with the attenuator on a wavefolder.

I did wonder if I could put the other shapes (belonging to the same half of the module) to use in separate applications. Unfortunately not.

They have linear and exponential switches so if I have one in linear mode your saying I could use that to modulate the first one in expo mode tracking octaves cptnal ?
sduck
What kind of "dual" vco is this? Perhaps if you're more specific we could help you out better.
lisa
I’m guessing Cš-L. smile

https://www.instruomodular.com/product/csl/
cptnal
Cš-L is a good shout but if the wave shapes are coming from the same half of the oscillator the bad news is they'll still be subject to the restrictions Gaetan mentioned.

That said, the other fun stuff I suggested is still possible. And since it's a complex oscillator most of the connections are already made for you. This is fun!

But yeah - put us out of our misery. What is this mystery voice? hmmm.....
Noodle Twister
It's a Zlob modular dual vco. I posted in here because the original question felt more general in nature. It now seems to be getting more eurorack. Just trying to post in the right place (hides)
cptnal
Looks interesting (if you have the aluminium panel - otherwise I hope your eyesight is good nuts ). Plenty to explore in that little thing. thumbs up
Yes Powder
Noodle Twister wrote:
I did wonder if I could put the other shapes (belonging to the same half of the module) to use in separate applications. Unfortunately not.

I use more than one wave output occasionally. The simplest thing I'll do is crossfade between the two— or if you have a filter with separate LP/BP/HP inputs, spectral fade! This is of course more interesting when you route the signals through different paths before the point where they converge to be faded.
If I'm stacking pitches (usually fifths) I'll often use the Saw or Tri outs of my oscillators for the signal, and use the Square out to softsync the oscillators together to avoid drift while they're all going up/down in pitch. The Zlob Dual VCO doesn't have softsync, but you can still do it with another oscillator that does.
Noodle Twister
Some good ideas there Yes Powder

I have the RYO Aperture so I could try a square wave into the klang input of the filter. Also have a Ripples and Serge variable resonance filter in the build queue.

Here we go again though , (serge VCFQ)

'extremely versatile general-purpose VCF that provides simultaneous low-pass, high-pass, band-pass and notch (band-reject) outputs'

In my mind they aren't truly simultaneous if they don't have independent inputs. If they did it would make it a quad VCF which it isn't. More a VCF with four modes.

Thanks for the replies though, I do need to learn more about patching now that my soldering is yielding good results. So the help is certainly appreciated.
ranix
Noodle Twister wrote:
I see many oscillators with one 1v per octave socket that also have for example three waveform outputs.

Is there a type of module that has additional 1v per octave sockets so that the user can take advantage of simultaneous OSC's from the same module for melodic purposes ?

That is a separate module with multiple 1v per octave
sockets and outputs for that ?

The waveform outputs are usually all derived from the same source. There's a "core" waveform and the other waveforms are made by modifying the core waveform. When you modulate the oscillator's pitch using the 1v/oct control, you're changing the pitch of the core waveform and the derivative waveforms are likewise affected since they're all built from the same source.

There are oscillators with multiple 1v/oct inputs. The Synthesizers.com q106 has three 1v/oct inputs. These inputs are added together and the result is used to modulate the frequency of the core.

There are oscillators with two or more cores but these usually have multiple waveforms for each core like having two separate oscillators behind the same panel.

I often send the square wave output of an oscillator to a clock divider to do fun things with it in a patch where the audio is mostly driven by the saw or triangle output.
Noodle Twister
ranix wrote:

I often send the square wave output of an oscillator to a clock divider to do fun things with it in a patch where the audio is mostly driven by the saw or triangle output.

Thanks for the explanation. Using the square wave into the clock divider would provide an alternative clock source for resetting 'Radio music' module.
cptnal
Noodle Twister wrote:
ranix wrote:

Thanks for the explanation. Using the square wave into the clock divider would provide an alternative clock source for resetting 'Radio music' module.

Right on! That's modular thinking. SlayerBadger!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1