Long Buchla Jam

Discussing some incredible modules that don't quite fit into the other forum categories.

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

mathomas
Wiggling with Experience

Long Buchla Jam

Post by mathomas » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:21 am

Had a lot of fun with this very simple patch. Two voices, sequencing by Sputnik 5-Step sequencer adapted via a Blade frame, additional sequencing/time by hTT and 251e. DPO, 261e stacked for rhythm voice, and 259e on melody/spice voice. Direct to Zoom H6, with a touch of extra reverb added in post (in GarageBand).

Video done with “Magic Music Visuals” software (my first attempt, and maybe a bit lame :despair:).

[video][/video]
Last edited by mathomas on Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peake
I'm in ur DIY. Filling cases with Buchla

Post by Peake » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:57 pm

Pardon me for making comparisons to other music but I enjoyed the possible Tangerine Dream influence of Thief-like press rolls and some Phaedra-like space/vibe. I know you're probably not attempting to mimic or directly reference other things and what you're doing stands up on its own and is a promising direction. I especially enjoyed the timbral shifts and seeming octave shifts.
This is not the place I'd imagined it to be.

mathomas
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mathomas » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:31 pm

Peake wrote:Pardon me for making comparisons to other music but I enjoyed the possible Tangerine Dream influence of Thief-like press rolls and some Phaedra-like space/vibe. I know you're probably not attempting to mimic or directly reference other things and what you're doing stands up on its own and is a promising direction. I especially enjoyed the timbral shifts and seeming octave shifts.
I don’t mind comparisons at all! It lets me understand how what I produce is heard by others! I was definitely aware that the ratcheting approach was a TD standby, but I’m actually very shallow in TD (and electronic music in general :eek:). So I basically just “make what I make” without any super-strong influences, other than probably tertiary ones that come from watching lots of YT vids :oops:.

Based on your comment I will seek out these examples. Very helpful to me. Thanks!

Wiggling with Experience

Post by 01235813 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:24 pm

30+ minutes of goodness there! Totally dig this. :tu:

mathomas
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mathomas » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:24 pm

01235813 wrote:30+ minutes of goodness there! Totally dig this. :tu:
Thanks! :sb:

Return to “Buchla, EMS & Serge”