MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Blacet schematics
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Blacet schematics
EATyourGUITAR
open up the flood gates. hit me with that blacet stuff. RIP John Blacet. I think we should keep it going. If anyone has the rights to his stuff and reserves the right to reopen the blacet store then I will retract my request. I think this is completely reasonable and respectful since it seems like the store is permanently closed. I think he would want us to keep building blacet modules. maybe even improve them. I was about to start a frac system and now hmmmm.
soup
Be patient. Blacet Research is in the hands of an old friend of John's. I would imagine it'll take a little while for him to figure out what's there let alone what to do with it.
sduck
Yes, we need to wait to find out what the family/friends that the rights passed down to want to do with it.
BananaPlug
thumbs up good to hear there’s a conversation going on. Would love to see the stuff in a more skiff friendly layout.
Reese P. Dubin
Surface mount Blacet kits for the next generation please.
And me.
chachi
+1, more blacet.
c1t1zen
Another Blacet fan that would love a new generation of SMD Frac versions.
Some wonderful and useful modules in his catalog.
EATyourGUITAR
If the friends and family of John Blacet want to reach out to me for help with new PCB designs in SMD, I would be happy to work on something like that.

megaohm
Blacet always had cool and unusual features and I really hope it is carried on.
New versions/formats/pcbs would be great and more people will see how good these are (and have always been!).
sizone
megaohm wrote:
New versions/formats/pcbs would be great and more people will see how good these are (and have always been!).

A lot of the coolness is because of the format. Knob and input spacing, just the ergonomics and routing visualization from having a wider module. Even more of the coolness is because of the diy nature of it.
revtor
sizone wrote:
megaohm wrote:

A lot of the coolness is because of the format. Knob and input spacing, just the ergonomics and routing visualization from having a wider module. Even more of the coolness is because of the diy nature of it.

Shifting to Euro kinda goes against the whole Blacet thing, and euro wouldn’t gain anything new by having the Blacet offerings. Now of course whoever takes charge will probably do that since that’s the $ thing to do, but really, the “thing” with Blacet was its availability only in Frack. That kept the systems homogenous. John Blacet was around before and through the Euro tsunami and he stayed true to course.

I don’t really have any skin I’m the game, it just seems sad to see another distinctive flavor of synth join the bowl of mush Euro landscape. Behringer is about to, leave Blacet alone.
Rob_C
sizone wrote:

Knob and input spacing and wider modules (and DIY) are not proprietary to Blacet or Frac of course. You could have that spaciousness in Euro if modules were designed that way.

The only certainty is that the Blacet website is down and modules are not being sold until John's successor(s) decide otherwise. There are no announcements of any kind of change in formats or movement to SMD. Perhaps if John wanted SMD in his DIY modules, he would have already included it. In my opinion SMD could discourage new builders who may prefer and enjoy and have more success with through the hole components rather than placing miniature components with tweezers. I'm guessing that Blacet's successor(s) will continue status quo.

revtor wrote:
Shifting to Euro kinda goes against the whole Blacet thing, and euro wouldn’t gain anything new by having the Blacet offerings... really, the “thing” with Blacet was its availability only in Frack. That kept the systems homogenous.

This.
soup
Personally I'm not into the idea of cramming Blacet into euro and don't really see the point. Frac is a wonderful format and most of my modular is mounted on Blacet rails. I hope that whatever shape Blacet Research may come back in, whether just a continuation of the old or with something spanking new, it stays in frac rack.
Blacet Lotsa Love
SoundPool
I always wanted to build some of the Blacet modules but just never got around to it. I'd love to see them return in some form or another, but keeping the original frac format/spacing to me seems pretty crucial. To me that is also what makes Serge what it is, Buchla, so on. Spacing, cables, fonts, colors, etc all do have an impact on how you use the instrument in addition to the design of the circuits. Not that anyone necessarily cares as we all throw our 2 cents in but for those of us in Europe being able to just get PCBs/panels and source our own parts over only complete kits can make a big financial difference and would make me more likely to finally build up a small Blacet system. If someone DID decide to revamp the PCBs so they could be stackable and fit in shallower cases to be a big more portable I certainly wouldn't mind, but I also understand that the larger boards are also about making builds/repairs easy for beginners.
EATyourGUITAR
I'm down for 15v with SMD. I like the blacet power connector. some of the time machine mods I have here make the module better than it was stock. I don't want to repeat what has been done exactly. I want to blend it with my own to make something that is both old and new. people who do DIY should not fear the SMD. it is actually easier and faster to build things than through hole after you learn it. we could even sell stencils for solder paste with the PCB. that way you can install a component in the time it takes to drop a part with tweezers. the reflow is done in an oven or a hotplate. no one wants to solder one component at a time one leg at a time. we don't need to. that is the old way. no more hand bending resistor leads. no more deep modules. no more mounting brackets. I have to really think if I even want to do this since I am now working two jobs and also a student so it might not even happen till summer time.
sduck
I'm all for smt conversions for the blacet stuff. The one big problem with the stuff is the huge pcb hanging perpendicular off the back - it would be easy to smallify them.
fluxmonkey
15v power, and a power distribution system that actually works, is really what differentiates blacet/frac from euro. i wouldn't mind a physical redesign that allows for shallower frames, but please don't castrate the electronics

sizone wrote:
megaohm wrote:

synthcube
we are certainly hoping it carries on, and here to help any way we can
Rob_C
sduck wrote:
I'm all for smt conversions for the blacet stuff. The one big problem with the stuff is the huge pcb hanging perpendicular off the back - it would be easy to smallify them.

I think John started to move in that direction with his redesign of the VCO with parallel panels and less point to point wiring. Shallower designs would be welcome.
snufkin
I think the through hole designs with flying wires were better for old school DIYers who wanted to build in their own format or modifications. Not really bothered by SMT.

I hope Blacet continues in some sort of official form that respects his wishes and relatives.

He has contributed some great designs and was one of the people who brought the modular torch through the quiet period before the current boom,
BugBrand
EATyourGUITAR wrote:
open up the flood gates. hit me with that blacet stuff. RIP John Blacet. I think we should keep it going. If anyone has the rights to his stuff and reserves the right to reopen the blacet store then I will retract my request. I think this is completely reasonable and respectful since it seems like the store is permanently closed. I think he would want us to keep building blacet modules. maybe even improve them. I was about to start a frac system and now hmmmm.

I hope someone does continue to take the Blacet designs forward, but I think your statement is fairly crass. Schematics were always published with kits, not available online and people respected this.
EATyourGUITAR
I did say that if some has reserved the rights that I will retract my request. I can only assume that you think it crass to ask people to post schematics that fall into public domain. Please reread my OP.

Furthermore I will state that there are many many instances of things disappearing completely from existence when someone dies or goes out of business or incarcerated etc..I would rather see the information and synthesizers preserved rather than abandoned. Don is dead. The old stuff he did is only being made by DIY, small companies etc... All this new buchla is completely different. We could say that someone owns buchla don't do buchla but then his legacy would be dead and his contribution to the world would be erased. Clearly this is a mistake. Not because of my greed but because people do not want to see everything they worked for go into the bin even if they pass.
chachi
the question i have is when you get a, now only used, blacet module that for one reason or another does not have the documentation with it, is it kosher within the established community to ask for a copy? i would never expect a schematic request outside of ownership to be provided by the community but...y’know...just cause i SAY i have a module... hihi
soup
The basic manuals which included calibration instructions and wiring diagrams were always freely downloadable from the blacet site and are still available via the waybackmachine.
slow_riot
Tom Bugs said it prettier than I could, talking about using someone's work simply because they are not around yo defend themselves is not the kind of respect that allows manufacturers to be open with their IP. It's probably not advisable with analog gear anyway because they are highly sensitive to bad vibes. John worked hard to maintain his vision through a market change that absorbed him. He was also clearly smart enough to determine his legacy as he saw fit.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2