MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

SonicState 5 minutes with EMS VCS3
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author SonicState 5 minutes with EMS VCS3
Synth Con Meo
I enjoyed this:

search64
"On the run was famously played on a VCS3"

Pretty sure it was an AKS, but potato tomato I guess.
ersatzplanet
search64 wrote:
"On the run was famously played on a VCS3"

Pretty sure it was an AKS, but potato tomato I guess.

You are right because the VCS3 didn't have the KS sequencer.
What I wouldn't give to sit down with one for 5 hours. (I would turn down five minutes as it would leave me hungry.)

I really don't know what it is but the EMS sound is undistinguishable, beautiful, one of a kind.
Licudi
01235813 wrote:
the EMS sound is undistinguishable

A word that's used rarely these days. I'm guessing you don't mean indistinguishable. Maybe unmistakable?

Everytime these VCS3 discussions come up I'm reminded I sold mine almost 30 years ago to get an S950. Big financial mistake in retrospect. However, the S950 is a great instrument as well and I still have it (two, in fact). Perhaps not conicidentally, both the VCS3 and S950 shared the same main designer.
ersatzplanet
Licudi wrote:
Everytime these VCS3 discussions come up I'm reminded I sold mine almost 30 years ago to get an S950. Big financial mistake in retrospect. However, the S950 is a great instrument as well and I still have it (two, in fact). Perhaps not conicidentally, both the VCS3 and S950 shared the same main designer.

I used to have three of them - one VCA3 and two Synthi AKS. I sold or traded them decades ago (I got the VCS3 in 1975). I traded or sold them for around the same value as what I paid for them - ~$500 each. I console myself by telling myself that if I still had them, they would have been pretty trashed by now. I would have broken or lost a lot of pins over that time. I played the hell out of them.
Licudi wrote:

A word that's used rarely these days. I'm guessing you don't mean indistinguishable. Maybe unmistakable?

Indeed, unmistakable it is and very half asleep I was. wink Cheers
papz
ersatzplanet wrote:
I used to have three of them - one VCA3 and two Synthi AKS. I sold or traded them decades ago (I got the VCS3 in 1975). I traded or sold them for around the same value as what I paid for them - ~$500 each. I console myself by telling myself that if I still had them, they would have been pretty trashed by now. I would have broken or lost a lot of pins over that time. I played the hell out of them.

I have 4 of them - 1 VCS3 and 3 Synthi AKS - and serviced about 70 so far, which are all perfectly working today. With the years and lack of proper servicing, many units are trashed indeed but anything can be fixed in a Synthi and the pins are still available from Robin Wood.
Sorry to ruin your consolation. Chugging Beers
bwhittington
01235813 wrote:
What I wouldn't give to sit down with one for 5 hours. (I would turn down five minutes as it would leave me hungry.)

I really don't know what it is but the EMS sound is undistinguishable, beautiful, one of a kind.

I'm in Houston, if you want to give a plane ticket to sit down with mine.
ersatzplanet
papz wrote:
ersatzplanet wrote:

I have 4 of them - 1 VCS3 and 3 Synthi AKS - and serviced about 70 so far, which are all perfectly working today. With the years and lack of proper servicing, many units are trashed indeed but anything can be fixed in a Synthi and the pins are still available from Robin Wood.
Sorry to ruin your consolation. Chugging Beers

No worries! I have a much more robust Eurorack rig now with one of my 6U cabinets devoted to re-creating the modules in a Synthi. I'm about to make it a step closer with the AS Envelope shaper and maybe the Licensed EMS filter module they offer. I have AS VCOs in it already and they can track at .5v/oct which gets close to the snappyness of the .32v/oct the EMS stuff does. This and input attenuation which I found lacking on the EMS stuff.
No pin matrix of course but maybe someday I will strip off all the module's panels and make one big custom front panel and with everything to an active matrix. After I win the lottery. It would still be cheaper than buy a used AKS nowadays.

And I am jealous of 3 AKS and a VCS3 BTW...
wackelpeter
Today making music with a synth became much more healthier because they changed the joysick against a joystick... older versions had an warning sticker: Don't spend too much time and under all circumstances avoid having too much fun with this device, it makes you sick. smile
papz
Playing with your joystick will make you deaf.
Portabella
A bummer they even mentioned Arturias plugin after all the stories which has been around here
papz
How surprising ?
Back in 2017 SonicState posted this video about the Digitana SX-1 introducing it as a "VCS3 inspired synth voice" despite Steve well explains at the beginning of the video that no EMS circuit was used and it's original own design, only the knobs are similar to the ones used by EMS, the "inspiration" ends here.
They don't know what they are saying and don't care.

Maybe Arturia paid for the link ? There's not even a link to the EMS website. zombie
The thieves didn't steal the "VCS3" name yet as far as I know...
blw
papz wrote:
Back in 2017 SonicState posted this video about the Digitana SX-1 introducing it as a "VCS3 inspired synth voice" despite Steve well explains at the beginning of the video that no EMS circuit was used and it's original own design, only the knobs are similar to the ones used by EMS, the "inspiration" ends here.

I don't know, every circuit could be different and I'm not sure I would have thought to take issue with SonicState's description there.

I think if you showed a photo of the SX-1 to 100 synth nerds, 99 might say it appeared to be inspired by the VCS3. And isn't it an extension of their Synthi Expander? 'They' being 'Digitana' lol . . . I mean they are asking a lot of people to not take that shorthand given their name, product history, and interface decisions for this product.

I get there is bad blood you are venting regarding Arturia and possibiy Sonicstate, so I apologize if I am stepping in that. And maybe you are privvy to knowledge that Digitana are really bugged by this. To the outside observer, though, it seems like they've gone to some lengths to invite that comparison, and it would happen even if they didn't. The Macbeth Elements also gets described as Synthi-esque for its knob/pot choice and vague shape despite otherwise not being vaguely related, for example. The M5, 2600-like, and so on. It's just seems like the lazy compartmentalizing that people do in all walks. Hopefully I'm making that observation without controversy.
klang
Portabella wrote:
A bummer they even mentioned Arturias plugin after all the stories which has been around here

not surprising , sad world really
papz
No bad blood regarding SonicState (but regarding Arturia well, I confess Mr. Green ), I just find it sad when people claiming to do information or journalism don't pay more attention to what they are saying.

The video description didn't mean that it appeared to be a "VCS3 inspired synth voice" but that it is a "VCS3 inspired synth voice" they are working on.

In the same range, when Pin Electronic's Hornet was introduced, a lot of people thought and claimed that it was an EMS Synthi A clone with a Wasp filter, which is wrong too. They only looked at the name and colors and obviously didn't read the specs.

Same again with the Macbeth Elements, it uses Synthi knobs as well and has nothing else EMSish as you wrote, from memory its circuits are mostly Roland inspired.

I'm pretty sure one could list other similar facts not related to EMS.

This shows how many synth nerds pay more attention to what a device looks like than to what it actually is and spread their wrong assumptions as infos on forums and so-called social media.
Then others read and repeat it without even thinking about checking the info either.
blw
You are right of course, but I'm dwelling on this because the communication aspect interests me. A case study of poor messaging, I think. For example, If you talk to basically a press outlet, or blogger, or whatever and say the words (which he does):

"Inspired by the EMS Synthi"
"They look like Synthis"
"I would say they are complementary to the Synthi"

. . . in addition to using the word Synthi a few dozen times in your interview, it shouldn't be a shocker that those words got twisted up in the interview's summary description.

I interact with the media a fair bit in my job and I've come to realize that most journalists really are quite lazy, even those working for pretty impressive outlets. Sonicstate got back to their hotel room or whatever and started throwing up videos at a pretty rapid clip based on muddled recollections, etc. I think one can kind of follow what happens there.

If differentiation was Digitana's objective, it would require a pretty disciplined redirect to emphasize that point enough to make it the headline. Of course, synth designers are not PR professionals, politicians, or even great salespeople, so this is a difficult focus. And I do think if they were bothered by the comparison, they might have picked an interface that sent different visual cues, because, yes, apparently the rest of us really are that stupid. lol
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1