MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Evolution vs Linnaeus
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Evolution vs Linnaeus
Velazquez
Hello,
I'm thinking of buying a Rossum Evolution filter. I wonder, however, to what extent is this filter similar to the new product of Dave Rossum: Linnaeus? Can one say Linnaeus is an improved version of Evolution or is it a completely different new design? Do I need both of these filters if I have a small set of modules (using them for different tasks) or do they coincide with each other in their characteristics? If they are similar, I will probably buy only Linnaeus. However, if they are completely different, maybe it's worth to have both of them. May I have some advice? How do you assess the similarities and differences of both filters?
geremyf
Evolution is fully analog. Linnaeus is digital (I believe).
mdoudoroff
Evolution is an analog, super-high performance low pass filter based on a Rossum’s own vintage design going back to his 1970s-era modular system.

Linnaeus is a pretty unique digital stereo multi-mode filter.

I don’t think they’re particularly related.

There are a zillion filters available in Eurorack, and the while design and functional features do matter, the subjective nature of the sounds that comes out of them is usually what drives a purchase and makes such diversity of choice possible. So the first question should maybe be whether you like how a filter sounds better than the other options at your disposal?

If you can’t test and compare, I suppose betting on a Rossum design is a defensibly safe bet: he definitely knows what he is doing.

My two bits: I think the Evolution sounds great. It is a relatively large and pricey module, however, and it only offers low pass filtering (and it makes a good sine wave oscillator, too). It definitely has a character of its own. You could contrast it with the AJH Ladder Filter, which is an immaculate recreation of the MiniMoog (low pass) ladder filter—lots of character there, too. As for Linneaus, it’s so new that we don’t really have much to go on yet.
Sanys
Linneaus is not out yet (should be late September?!). but yeah its digital and they are quite different. Who would tell u what's better when module is not out yet
Similarities? they go both under name Rossum hihi
Velazquez
Thanks for the answers. It is clear to me now that these are definitely different filters. My modular system is not big, but I think both filters will find their place in it. At the moment I have Filter 8 and Fumana. Each of them (including Rossum filters) has a different specificity and character. That's why I decide to invite Rossum Evolution to cooperate, and in time I will consider buying Linnaeus smile

Thanks again.
matttech
The Linnaeus has some really interesting features that you might not see at first glance. It has its own internal modulation oscillator that can modulate the filter through zero, and you can set the filter slope independently for the left and right channels... And can also set the attenuverter for the filter cut-off differently for each channel. I expect you could make some crazy stereo effects this way.

it is completely digital, but a digital simulation of an analogue state variable filter.

there is also an alternative firmware that can be accessed by a button press, which turns the filter into a self-contained stereo FM synth or percussion voice.

I've just opened up preorders on my site and expect the first batch sometime in September.
Switchzik
Any chance to hear more from the Linnaeus ?
Looks really cool but I can't pre order without hearing it.
damase
i played with the linneaus for a bit... i didnt even realize it was digital until they told me afterwards. completely different experience than the morpheus. i was hitting all sorts of thick juicy sweet spots on it just droning trident and playing with the modulation oscillator by hand

evolution is just a modern classic imo. for my limited experience its still my favorite low pass ive ever used. the “sine wave” is very very good too, a little dirty in such a pleasing way. variable q compensation i wish every filter had this. it does take a bit of real estate for a relatively limited filter, but if space isnt an issue its by far worth the retail price for how good it sounds
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1