MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Comments on my 1st Euro case
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Comments on my 1st Euro case
timmah
Hi guys,

wondering if you could give me some comments on my 1st case.

I've currently got everything except the 143-1, polivoks, and VCO-6. they will be coming as funds allow, damn shite AU dollar.

NOTE the 1st osc is a tiptop z3000, not a cwejman, and the vca is a 132-3.

what would you change? what am I missing? what is this case good for? what is it not good for?
any comments etc much appreciated.
As I'm still working out how to use everything at this stage, I'm not really sure if i've severely limited my possibilities in one direction or another. I reckon my biggest problem will be only 2 oscs. I'm not really interested in analogue sequencers at this stage, I'm pretty heavily into midi.

dkcg
If you want another oscillator, this might fit. Get a Kenton or some other external midi2cv, and get the VCO-2RM instead of the VCO-6. means a little more money spent, but add another oscillator with sync and a ringmod at the same time, but lose the individual waveform outputs.
astroschnautzer
I would get a doepfer quad lfo instead of those two, it would be 4 lfo`s at about the same price as 2 and its 14hp as the two lfo`s are together 16.
spbaker
with the way the aussie dollar is i'd be looking at the elby panthers esp the utility LFO rather than the two doepfers. can't wait to see this tomoz!
drewtoothpaste
I have an A-143-1 but to tell you the truth I get more use out of my doepfer VCADSR. Modulating the A/D/R even a little bit makes filter/amp envelopes sound a lot more interesting (to my ears at least.)
surachai
Also remember that the multiples are not powered, so you can stick them on the wood panels of your portable case. Or just have them laying around on the floor like some of my friends.....
Either way, it'll save you some space enough for a dual VCA or trig modifier or what have you.
dougcl
I would consider an external MIDI interface instead of the 190, the dual Cwejman VCO (or maybe MFB, or at least get VCOs from more than one vendor) instead of the two VCO-6's, abandon the external input for now and save up for an AP-1, replace the two LFOs with the Cwejman dual LFO. Abandon the A-140 (you're already covered with the 143). With the available space, consider the A-118, a S&H, the A-160&161. You might consider leaving some empty room rather than filling everything, and let yourself play with it a little to see what turns up most lacking.
theabsent
(Of course) it's hard to say without knowing what you are looking for but...

A-132-3 instead of A-132-2 is a good choice.

I'd replace the A-121 with the A-106-6.

I can see the point of getting the complex eg/lfo but two lfos would be enough for me and i'll propably buy one more adsr instead (and look forward for comment about the ASol lfo/nz).

To save the space I'd go for external midi-to-cv and take the multiple out of the case.

If you want that 3rd osc and funds are limited I'd go for A-110 or ASol vco. In my opinion those are not that bad oscs if those are not your only oscs.

I'd like to have a noise source too, maybe Analogue Solutions lfo/nz if you are looking for more lfos or Doepfer A-118.

Sorry, I didn't check the HPs wether these can fit to your rack... eek!

P.S. The A-137-1 is always good to have love
Chuck E. Jesus
i'm curious why you chose the A-196 PLL...i love mine, but not many people seem to have them...
consumed
timmah wrote:
what would you change? what am I missing? what is this case good for? what is it not good for?
any comments etc much appreciated.
As I'm still working out how to use everything at this stage,
I'm not really sure if i've severely limited my possibilities in one direction or another.
I reckon my biggest problem will be only 2 oscs.
I'm not really interested in analogue sequencers at this stage, I'm pretty heavily into midi.

overall i think your system is pretty well balanced for the space.

well, in my view two oscillators is *perfect for your size system.
in fact, in my 12U system i still only have two oscillators, and im not lacking.
you can do a lot with two oscillators.

i second the recommendation of using an external midi-cv like a pro solo.

i think the 143-1 has enough envelope and lfo capability for you to shed one
if not both of your lfo modules to make room for other modules.
having one VC envelope would open up great possibilities (i need one desperately!).

good choice on the dual VCA module.

here's some suggestions that should be taken lightly:

- a134 pan/crossfade: easy stereo-izing of your modular, or xfading audio or CVs.
(i needed one of these modules a *long time ago
- joystick: expressive input. also doubles as a control CV source.
- ringmod: you will really open up a lot more timbral possibilities with one.
- VC switch: useful for so many things, from audio applications to alternating between CVs
- inverter
dougcl
ross g wrote:
i'm curious why you chose the A-196 PLL...i love mine, but not many people seem to have them...

Maybe its you and I going on about them every chance we get smile

Shameless plug here:

brandon daniel
dougcl wrote:

OK, that made my morning.
consumed
thats the PLL? hm i need one, thats fantastic.
futuresoundsystems
dougcl wrote:
ross g wrote:

Maybe its you and I going on about them every chance we get smile

Shameless plug here:Vid

Heehee I saw that video last night and it blew me away, nice patching dude!
Jari Jokinen
I thought A-196 PLL was for unpleasent techno sounds only... Nice demo.

A-132-2 quadrature VCA is a specialized module. I wonder what you are going to do with it. Maybe substitute it with more ordinary and versatile A-132-3.

I think you are using lot of space for oscillators, especially since A-143-1 can do LFO duties too. Maybe leave Doepfer LFO:s out altogether and consider Cwejman VCO-2RM or D-LFO instead of one of the VCO-6:s. Both are dual modules, have ring modulator and work as audio and low frequency oscillators.

Model 9 looks good on paper, but someone mentioned leakage problems.

You have no module capable of inverting.

I would need one multiple more.

EDIT: OK, you wrote "NOTE the 1st osc is a tiptop z3000, not a cwejman, and the vca is a 132-3."
dougcl
Jari Jokinen wrote:
I thought A-196 PLL was for unpleasent techno sounds only... Nice demo...

It is an audio source, but it is also a CV source. Awesome module. And thanks everyone for the positive feedback.

Doug
theabsent
Nice to see so many helpfull Finns here!

That PLL patch was truly fascinating. Unfortunately so completely useless soundwise for me... I would like to hear some of those "uncool" techno / electro / hc / noise patches from it hihi
A Dingleberry Monstrosity
ditch the multiple, make your own in a standalone box and get a ring mod instead! SlayerBadger!
Chuck E. Jesus
Jari Jokinen wrote:
I thought A-196 PLL was for unpleasent techno sounds only...

it's for unpleasant techno sounds also...i've gotten some really unpleasant industrial noise weirdness running a guit thru it as well...
wetterberg
A Dingleberry Monstrosity wrote:
ditch the multiple, make your own in a standalone box and get a ring mod instead! SlayerBadger!
I wholeheartedly agree, although I'd put the multiples along the perimeter of the unit.

I have several crevaces around my modular case that will have aluminium profiles fitted, and then minijacks fitted to them. From there it could go anywhere smile I'm thinking clock dividers, noise-sources, multiples, passive filters, anything that could be wired dead-bug-style.
A Dingleberry Monstrosity
wetterberg wrote:
A Dingleberry Monstrosity wrote:
I wholeheartedly agree, although I'd put the multiples along the perimeter of the unit.

thats a much better idea, maybe in between the larger mounting screws of the rack itself.

also, ditch the regular ole envelope gen since you will be getting the complex env generator. mho of course.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1