ES-8 noise/ pops/ clicks on inputs

Discussion and support for Expert Sleepers' Silent Way software and hardware.

Moderators: Kent, os

BrokenBo
Wiggling with Experience

ES-8 noise/ pops/ clicks on inputs

Post by BrokenBo » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:10 pm

Hi there,

first off i have to say sorry for not being able to describe the issue properly but i am far from being an electronics expert.

I am using Es-8 in a arturia rackbrute 6U case with my modular and ableton live 9.7 on MAC OSX 10.13.4.

when i am connecting one of the inputs i am SOMETIMES hearing some kind of noise/ pops and clicks which disappear right after the cable connection and reappear when accidentally touching the cable connection while wiggling. this is very annoying issue during jams as these noisy outburst are overshadowing all my audio.

i am using tiptop audio stackcables and standard patch cables.

thanks for help!

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:38 am

Are you using another audio interface as well, or just the ES-8? How are you monitoring the audio - speakers, headphones etc? Connected how?

Just wondering if you have some kind of weird grounding issue going on.

BrokenBo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by BrokenBo » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:55 am

I am monitoring via the macbook main output. Es 8 is part of an aggregate device in mac os x. No other output except the macbook main output

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:58 am

Which is the clock master? Do you have drift correction turned on on the other device?

BrokenBo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by BrokenBo » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:30 pm

macbook main out is the clock master. drift correction is also turned on on the main output though. should this be on the es-8?

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:55 am

Yes, the drift correction should be on the one that is not the master.

BrokenBo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by BrokenBo » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:26 am

ok i switched and it seems to be a lot better for now. let´s see if it stays like this. thanks!

BrokenBo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by BrokenBo » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:29 am

ok after some days i have to say that i still have some of the described problems although the changing of the drift control has definately helped.

the es-8 is mounted right above the power supply. could this be an issue?

thanks again for any help.

BrokenBo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by BrokenBo » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:59 am

ok i think i might have found something. it seems my usb hud is causing this problem. i connected the es-8 directly to my computer and everything seems to be very quiet.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:15 am

:party:

I need to add that to the list of standard questions I ask people when they're having trouble.

leeboiacid
Learning to Wiggle

Post by leeboiacid » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:13 pm

HI, I've a similar issue (can't post a new topic as I've just joined the forum). Just got an ES-9 and am getting a weird almost rhythmic interruption in sound / distortion on the input (and on every input I've tried) which appears to coincide with a spike in the CPU load displayed in Ableton. The ES-9 is the only interface and connected directly to my PC. I'm running Windows 7 and have the latest driver for the ES-9 installed. Please help someone!

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:23 am

Have you tried different buffer sizes, or other settings in the driver control panel?

leeboiacid
Learning to Wiggle

Post by leeboiacid » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:53 am

os wrote:Have you tried different buffer sizes, or other settings in the driver control panel?
Hi OS, Thanks for replying so quickly. Yes, I tried all of the buffer sizes as well as various buffer settings in Ableton.

The interference/distortion is very regular, almost like a 4x4 beat at 120bpm and appears to coincide with a spike in CPU load on the meter in Ableton (going from 2-3% to 30-60%), which appeared to be caused by the ES-9 as this spike doesn't happen when I disconnect it and use my other audio interface.

No sure if it helps but I'm using ASIO in conjunction with the ES-9. Elevator Ssound suggested checking my audio driver so will have a look at that tonight.

Any other thoughts you have in the meantime would be gratefully received.

leeboiacid
Learning to Wiggle

Post by leeboiacid » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:15 pm

OK. Update. tried the various buffer sizes and the issue was better at highest buffer size, although still occasional noise. I downloaded and tried ASIO4ALL v2.14 and this works well with no noise at all. :banana: However, I have heard bad things about ASIO4ALL so if any one has a recommended audio driver to use with the ES-9 (with Ableton running on Windows 7) please let me know.

Return to “Expert Sleepers”