Intellijel pallette case is super shallow

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

Post Reply
EdJ
x => { wiggle(x); }
Posts: 146
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:18 pm
Location: Copenhagen

Intellijel pallette case is super shallow

Post by EdJ » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:21 am

Just a quick PSA for dumbasses like me: The pallette case is _really_ shallow, so definitely don't forget to check your module depths before buying. For example, the Doepfer A-110 is too deep to fit...

Image
Image[/img]

Equally, it's also a super nice bit of kit (even if it's a royal pain to try and plug things in), and I'm a bit sad to be sending it back!!
off hiatus

SavageMessiah
Common Wiggler
Posts: 134
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:48 pm

Post by SavageMessiah » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:53 pm

I had a brief moment of panic when I got mine and it looked like the 2hp modules I planned to put in wouldn't fit but in the end they just baaaarely squeak by. It's weird going from an EP-420 and suddenly having module depth matter :confused:

User avatar
joem
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 882
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:07 pm
Location: NYC

Post by joem » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:57 pm

I guess we're going to go through this with every small skiff case that comes out. :despair:

User avatar
Blairio
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1657
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:50 pm
Location: Glasgow, Scotland

Post by Blairio » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:19 pm

joem wrote:I guess we're going to go through this with every small skiff case that comes out. :despair:
Not just skiff cases. I had a case while back with a built in power supply. The available depth above the power supply was considerably less than elsewhere, which meant I couldn't have my preferred layout.

That's where Modular Grid comes in. It records the depth of each module listed, A quick comparison of your modules with a case's available depth should highlight any issues.

Some Doepfer units are very deep. My Doepfer A-1881 BBD is a beast!

EdJ
x => { wiggle(x); }
Posts: 146
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:18 pm
Location: Copenhagen

Post by EdJ » Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:20 am

Blairio wrote:
joem wrote:I guess we're going to go through this with every small skiff case that comes out. :despair:
Not just skiff cases. I had a case while back with a built in power supply. The available depth above the power supply was considerably less than elsewhere, which meant I couldn't have my preferred layout.

That's where Modular Grid comes in. It records the depth of each module listed, A quick comparison of your modules with a case's available depth should highlight any issues.

Some Doepfer units are very deep. My Doepfer A-1881 BBD is a beast!
Yeah would be great if modular grid had some more flagging with depth limits (per row?) and power/module limits etc. - would make it much easier to notice this kinda stuff while planning. But hey can't solve end user dumbassery :)
off hiatus

User avatar
EATyourGUITAR
has no life
Posts: 3822
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:24 am
Location: Providence, RI, USA

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:31 am

everybody knows doepfer modules do not run the PCB parallel to the panel. just look at it. a skiff friendly module has the PCB and the panel in the same orientation. that is a good rule to follow. this is why I will not buy a skiff case. I am not going to restrict myself to mass produced, mostly digital, mostly new, mostly popular modules. I like to make my own stuff and fill it with big cheap disposable modules.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

User avatar
Joe.
Wired for sound
Posts: 4944
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:58 pm

Post by Joe. » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:40 am

EATyourGUITAR wrote: I like to make my own stuff and fill it with big cheap disposable modules.
Those big cheap modules, like Doepfer, have a better potential lifespan because they're analog, and can be maintained by a technician (the possibility of being an Heirloom even). The only modules I'd consider disposable are digital, when they don't have publicly available firmware. You're basically gambling that you'll be able to have them serviced for however long the company is around.

User avatar
EATyourGUITAR
has no life
Posts: 3822
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:24 am
Location: Providence, RI, USA

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:56 am

Joe. wrote:
EATyourGUITAR wrote: I like to make my own stuff and fill it with big cheap disposable modules.
Those big cheap modules, like Doepfer, have a better potential lifespan because they're analog, and can be maintained by a technician (the possibility of being an Heirloom even). The only modules I'd consider disposable are digital, when they don't have publicly available firmware. You're basically gambling that you'll be able to have them serviced for however long the company is around.
the modules I make are disposable because they cost less than I spend on food in a day and they sometimes are just overall shitty temporary noise makers. I was not trying to say that doepfer are cheap or disposable. however, I will say that those skiff friendly modules with digital stuff in them have much better jacks on average than any vintage doepfer or analog systems jacks. they also have 2 sided PCB's with shielding. they do not use the cheapest possible components like doepfer TL062. they actually post all the schematics and source code to mutable instruments stuff. it is more serviceable than doepfer having no schematics or source code. those midi and sequencers will not be fixed. mutable will be fixed.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

OzAF
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:24 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

Post by OzAF » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:27 am

Does anyone sell/make "riser" plates, that go between the module and the rails? It would be kind of neat if someone sold a cheap kit that had a number of these risers (even more neat if you could clip them to size to fit the width of your module that's too deep for the case) and of course some longer screws.

User avatar
Muse FTW
Common Wiggler
Posts: 249
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:08 pm
Contact:

Post by Muse FTW » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:38 am

joem wrote:I guess we're going to go through this with every small skiff case that comes out. :despair:
It's kinda funny.

Case depth numbers are available. Module depth numbers are available.

This phenomenon keeps happening. :razz:

User avatar
iSapien1956672
Common Wiggler
Posts: 163
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:48 am
Location: Chicago
Contact:

Post by iSapien1956672 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:55 pm

I'm happy with my trusty old 42hp 4u case, these palettes look waaay shallower, yet more cumbersome.
:despair:

User avatar
Dragonaut
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 685
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:00 pm
Location: Lake Placid, NY

Post by Dragonaut » Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:52 pm

Personally I just don’t understand why there’s no consideration for expert sleepers modules that would make these small cases into power houses.
https://soundcloud.com/acaciabridge (IDM, Ambient, Bass, Downtempo)
www.instagram.com/dr_science_phd (synths, hikes, and views.)

User avatar
batch
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1008
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 7:15 am
Location: San Francisco

Post by batch » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:56 pm

OzAF wrote:Does anyone sell/make "riser" plates, that go between the module and the rails? It would be kind of neat if someone sold a cheap kit that had a number of these risers (even more neat if you could clip them to size to fit the width of your module that's too deep for the case) and of course some longer screws.
M3 nylon spacers would do the trick. They are super cheap.
FS: Erica Synths Hi-Hats D $175, Cymbals $175, Stereo Mixer v2 $100, Intellijel 1U Pedal IO $70, MIDI $110, Rebel Tech Bit Reactor $95

User avatar
Blairio
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1657
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:50 pm
Location: Glasgow, Scotland

Post by Blairio » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:14 pm

Joe. wrote:
EATyourGUITAR wrote: I like to make my own stuff and fill it with big cheap disposable modules.
Those big cheap modules, like Doepfer, have a better potential lifespan because they're analog, and can be maintained by a technician (the possibility of being an Heirloom even). The only modules I'd consider disposable are digital, when they don't have publicly available firmware. You're basically gambling that you'll be able to have them serviced for however long the company is around.
Doepfer modules are not cheap, they are inexpensive - there's a difference. The connotations of 'cheap' usually include low quality, poor materials, and so on. I agree that Doepfer don't use the highest spec i.c. cbips for every application, but they perform well enough for the task at hand, which makes commercial and design sense.

However, Doepfer don't solder their i.c. chips directly to the circuit board, which makes it easy to upgrade those i.c.'s. You don't even need to solder. It would be cheaper to do away with the chip holder.... I stuck audio grade op amps in my doepfer mixer module for a cost of a few pounds, and I didn't even need a soldering iron.

Perhaps what will make some modules harder to maintain is not firmware availability, but the smt manufacturing process - employed on both analog and digital modules.

mrhooks
Common Wiggler
Posts: 85
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:15 pm

Post by mrhooks » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:31 pm

Dragonaut wrote:Personally I just don’t understand why there’s no consideration for expert sleepers modules that would make these small cases into power houses.
Probably because they want people to use their modules instead, hence the inclusion of MIDI jacks that some people won't ever use. I think I'd rather the space be used to provide USB power, if anything. If I really wanted MIDI, I'd prefer an FH-2 over the µMIDI, but as you said, it doesn't fit.

It would be nice if there were more options for small but deep cases, aside from Doepfer, which is light on amperage. I looked into having an aluminum case custom-made, but going with a metal fabricator was cost-prohibitive, and I didn't look into Etsy-type builders. I also considered buying rails and a universal housing from Gie-Tec, but communicating with them and with someone to drill and cut holes was problematic.

User avatar
Severed head
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 342
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:24 am

Post by Severed head » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:10 pm

mrhooks wrote:It would be nice if there were more options for small but deep cases, aside from Doepfer, which is light on amperage. I looked into having an aluminum case custom-made, but going with a metal fabricator was cost-prohibitive, and I didn't look into Etsy-type builders. I also considered buying rails and a universal housing from Gie-Tec, but communicating with them and with someone to drill and cut holes was problematic.
plywood? uZeus. or similar
OzAF wrote:Does anyone sell/make "riser" plates, that go between the module and the rails? It would be kind of neat if someone sold a cheap kit that had a number of these risers (even more neat if you could clip them to size to fit the width of your module that's too deep for the case) and of course some longer screws.
couldn't you just cut a plastic tube and get some longer screws
EDIT:
as for the intellijel 42hp though I like how the jacks/swithes are on the top/face plane of the case. thats a finicky detail but one of the only reason I never picked up a larger intellijel case.

mrhooks
Common Wiggler
Posts: 85
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:15 pm

Post by mrhooks » Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:36 pm

I prefer metal cases, but if I went with wood (which I also considered), I'd want something nicer and more complicated than I am able to make on my own - proper joints, cutaways for audio outs and power, etc. And I looked into µZeus, but it seemed a little more finicky than I wanted to deal with - panel can get hot to the touch, have to be careful which modules share the same cable, etc.

The palette case works well enough for me, although there are several things about it I would change if I could, with depth and width being the top two. (When I was planning out the 1U row, several possible combinations required 64HP, including Quadratt+Steppy+Stereo Line Out. I still have 12HP to fill, which is a somewhat awkward amount; 14HP would be easier.)

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”