MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Steve Porcaro sound design demo (horns and strings)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Synthesis Techniques  
Author Steve Porcaro sound design demo (horns and strings)
hiawog
This video is pretty cool if you can ignore the tape hiss. Particularly informative is how he creates horn transients using a fast pitch sweep (2:00-3:45).

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0YovLglTuY[/video]
bwhittington
I just recently found this video after picking up an Xpander. Great to see his live patch creation. For added fun, he seems seriously coked up here, too. hihi

Oh, be sure to remove the "s" from of "https" in the URL when embedding. Finicky.

MindMachine
The Porcaro brothers were notoriously sober dudes. Lawn spray will kill you.

He is an absolute incredible synthesist. Before Toto he was a session dude and a touring synthesist for Gary Wright Band (along w/ David Paich).

Their fathers were incredible musicians too (Paich and Porcaro).

Steve P. wrote a modular synth column for Contemporary Keyboard for a while if I am not mistaken.
bwhittington
MindMachine wrote:
The Porcaro brothers were notoriously sober dudes. Lawn spray will kill you.

He is an absolute incredible synthesist. Before Toto he was a session dude and a touring synthesist for Gary Wright Band (along w/ David Paich).

Their fathers were incredible musicians too (Paich and Porcaro).

Steve P. wrote a modular synth column for Contemporary Keyboard for a while if I am not mistaken.

Because it was 3am and I didn't believe you, I've been reading about Toto's drug use, etc for the last hour hihi and finally got to the lawn spray joke.

Porcaro is great. He has a writing credit on Thriller for goodness sake. The 80's were definitely good to him. Toto was everywhere for a time. I don’t know All their stuff, but the sounds on their Toto IV singles sure stand out.
MindMachine
Ha. Yeah a friend of their family told me the story back in the late 80's or maybe early 90's. The guy was a friend of their fathers and sold aluminum and steel to Ludwig (drums) and me.

No sin. We all did lawn spray back then. Who knew it was so bad for you?

I used to fall asleep at night with that October 1982 Contemporary Keyboard issue (with Residents) showing the Polyfusion and them describing their rigs: Yamaha GS-1, CS-70M, CS-80 and pianos, Roland MC-4, Jupiter 8 and VK-9, Minimoog, biggest Polyfusion ever... and a few others.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Synthesis Techniques  
Page 1 of 1