MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Steve 'Interesting' Davis - Utopia Strong
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion  
Author Steve 'Interesting' Davis - Utopia Strong
Clockgate
Apologies if this has been posted before.

I read an article in this mornings Metro about Steve Davis, the World champion snooker player, and his love for modular synthesizers. He plays in a band called Utopia Strong.

He was always as portrayed as very boring on British TV, which he accepted gracefully in charity events.

https://circuitsweet.co.uk/2019/06/the-utopia-strong-a-new-synth-proje ct-of-steve-davis-kavus-torabi-and-michael-j-york-self-titled-debut-to -be-released-13th-september-via-rocket-recordings/
Navs
No. Way. eek! Brilliant SlayerBadger!
BugBrand
He's a lovely & interesting guy.
Him & Kavus DJing is ace.
+ NTS show monthly
lud
Seen Steve Davis DJ before at cafe oto and know him as a celebrity endorser of good music.

Curious what synth equipment he uses!
cretaceousear
He brought Magma over to the UK around 1987 for a couple of concerts - they'd not played here since the 70s - and I beleive he knew he'd lose money on it. A great gig and hats off to Steve!

I'll be seeing Magma for the second time, next month in London. Rockin' Banana!

Ah.. now I've read the article and heard the piece - great!
Be Sandy?
That's great! I knew he was into music but didn't know about the DJing etc.

There was a piece during one of the snooker tournaments in the 1980s I think where he showed his room of records. I had a look on Youtube for it with no luck but did find this. Looks like he's really enjoying himself and the first track was somewhat of a (pleasant) surprise.

DickMarker
Kavus and Mike York are good dudes, played gigs with them in the past and Mike's done some bagpipes on something I'm about to release.
Never met Steve in the flesh but he seems very cool and does a lot for weird, marginal music. Plus I used to enjoy watching him play snooker!
Navs
Be Sandy? wrote:
... the first track was somewhat of a (pleasant) surprise.

Now I know you're trying to mess with my head lol Kick Muck?! nanners
Umcorps
lud wrote:
Seen Steve Davis DJ before at cafe oto and know him as a celebrity endorser of good music.

Curious what synth equipment he uses!

Ask matttech. He sold him his modular system
Liddlepud
I met him when I worked at London Modular, a really funny bloke, very self deprecating with a love of music.

Liddlepud
Stuart Maconie's freak zone had a good interview with the other 2 members of Utopia Strong and there's also a good modular playlist from boring Steve himself.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m00089p0
Bartelby
I was expecting my vinyl copy to arrive today, but it didn't waah
But I've listened to the album on Bandcamp twice this morning. It's bloody good.
Going to see them live in a couple of months. Can't wait for that!
lud
I'm now an Instagram follower of Steve Davis - his feed is pretty cool! Funny bloke (not boring - is that his style of snooker? Don't watch) and he has a Eurorack setup he's adept at using. If only Chas n Dave were still going to join his group!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion  
Page 1 of 1