MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Eurorack Mixer Ideas
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Author Eurorack Mixer Ideas
MindMachine
oilpanic wrote:
If I where to do it again I would pick the joranalogue mixer. Two of them.

What do you mean 'again'?

Petaluma, nice! I was in Mill Valley for a few years.

I use quite a few mixers for various functions but go out of the box with VCA's or my Erica Output module.
R.U.Nuts
Arneb wrote:
cptnal wrote:
Arneb wrote:
...sending audio at modular levels into your desktop mixer through 3.5mm-to-6.35mm TS jack adapters?

Exactly what I do with my Mackie VLZ4 (which I didn't include in my original list Dead Banana ). In fact, with all the routing possibilities and a bunch of pedals, it's practically an extension of my rack. There's so issues with levels if that's what you're worried about. Just keep it low and work upwards. thumbs up

Being able to handle modular levels is just one part of it, though. I mean, in my current 3U learning setup I do work with modular levels from ModDemix straight into an old DJ mixer I got for free from a friend decluttering their household. It works... with the fader at 20% in. Which makes for a pretty short usable fader range and a correspondingly sensitive fader. Which is why I'm currently doing the actual mixing work with ModDemix, not the DJ mixer.

(Ofc ModDemix isn't exactly a viable long-term solution either, except as part of a cascading setup.)

Doesn't that DJ mixer have input gain controls? Usually you can attenuate a modular signal with the built in channel preamps. I do gain staging in a way that I can slam the faders all the way up without clipping and it works fine if I set up the input gain correctly.
dopelganger
Thanks! This is an awesome reference!!

I get mskala's point and in the studio that makes complete sense. But for performance its not really an option...

mdoudoroff wrote:
Depending on your process there are many different ways to go, and with due respect to mskala, in many of them, a stereo mixer module can make a great deal of sense. It just depends.

Here’s a pretty exhaustive comparison list of the stereo mixer modules that are available:

https://doudoroff.com/mixers/

By no means does this comparison address all questions, but it’s probably a useful reference.
Arneb
R.U.Nuts wrote:
Arneb wrote:
cptnal wrote:
Arneb wrote:
...sending audio at modular levels into your desktop mixer through 3.5mm-to-6.35mm TS jack adapters?

Exactly what I do with my Mackie VLZ4 (which I didn't include in my original list Dead Banana ). In fact, with all the routing possibilities and a bunch of pedals, it's practically an extension of my rack. There's so issues with levels if that's what you're worried about. Just keep it low and work upwards. thumbs up

Being able to handle modular levels is just one part of it, though. I mean, in my current 3U learning setup I do work with modular levels from ModDemix straight into an old DJ mixer I got for free from a friend decluttering their household. It works... with the fader at 20% in. Which makes for a pretty short usable fader range and a correspondingly sensitive fader. Which is why I'm currently doing the actual mixing work with ModDemix, not the DJ mixer.

(Ofc ModDemix isn't exactly a viable long-term solution either, except as part of a cascading setup.)

Doesn't that DJ mixer have input gain controls? Usually you can attenuate a modular signal with the built in channel preamps. I do gain staging in a way that I can slam the faders all the way up without clipping and it works fine if I set up the input gain correctly.

That thing goes down to -10dB at the input gain stage, which is still too hot for using the faders as God intended. I don't really understand the math of this dBu/dBv/... stuff, would -20dB likely be enough?

dopelganger wrote:
Thanks! This is an awesome reference!!

I get mskala's point and in the studio that makes complete sense. But for performance its not really an option...

I'd say it still is, we're not talking about bringing an X32 after all. Somewhere between 6 and 12 channels ought to suffice and still be light enough for live gear.
steveoath
Rebel technology's mix range are great. I'll be picking up another mix module to complement the one I have ready. The link function is cool too.
ZenitSar
I use a Doepfer A-138p. It's cool because it's simple. I need to get another one because I need more channels. I'm mixing kick, snare, hihat, and a couple of voices atm. I like the send and send level control for delay use, but I kind of wish it had two sends. I thought about modding it to accommodate an individual out module that would be easy to make. It's cheap, but sturdy.
DJMaytag
It looks like it could be crazy expensive, but the Frap Tools CGM system looks really nice. I don't need the EQ's, so this is a good way to start a system for me: buy the Group and a couple channel modules, then add a master and additional channels later. I'd rather drop $200 several times than drop $800 or $1000 all at once.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Page 2 of 2