MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Eurorack Mixer Ideas
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Eurorack Mixer Ideas
dopelganger
What does everyone like to use for mixers in their Eurorack?

I've been thinking about getting a Roland 531 as the main mixer to send sound out of the system. I currently have a few smaller mixers (pico mix, 2hp mix) which I use as sub mixers or busses, but I dont know what the best way to blend everything is and get it out as a simple stereo audio signal.

What do you do?
atte
I went for 4x mixups and 4 abcs + a mixture (!) of other small mixers over a performance mixer, mainly to have a flexible solution, sometimes lots of sends, sometimes lots of stereo, sometimes something else. Works quite well for me...
kinkycables
Doepfer a-135-1. More hp than I’d like, but all about that extra gain.
Blairio
In my rack I use two Ladik modules, the M-175 master mixer (4 mono and 2 stereo in, stereo out), and the M-174 expander (6 mono in, stereo out). The expander output normal's to the master module via a ribbon cable between the pcb's, giving 10 mono and 2 stereo in.

All mono input channels have a pan pot, audio quality is more than acceptable. The combined footprint is 24 HP.
mskala
I don't think it makes sense to try to put a "stereo" or "performance" mixer within the synthesizer rack at all. I use a basic external mixing board for that, a Mackie ProFX8v2 that cost something like US$200. Comparable stereo mixing features would cost ten times as much in Eurorack because of the smaller market, with an inconvenient control layout because Eurorack modules can only have about 100mm of usable panel height, nowhere near enough for the usual channel strip design. Many people think they want a stereo mixer in a module, and I think they end up regretting the compromises involved.

That said, there's certainly a need for mixing signals within a patch - not in stereo but just to combine audio or control voltages. For that I most often reach for my own Transistor Mixer or the Doepfer A-138e, although I also have a couple of others.
mdoudoroff
Depending on your process there are many different ways to go, and with due respect to mskala, in many of them, a stereo mixer module can make a great deal of sense. It just depends.

Here’s a pretty exhaustive comparison list of the stereo mixer modules that are available:

https://doudoroff.com/mixers/

By no means does this comparison address all questions, but it’s probably a useful reference.
BenA718
I have a couple of mixers depending on the situation. I use either a Make Noise Dynamix or Intellijel Mixup to sub mix into a WORNG Sound Stage/LRMSMSLR and if I am mixing in external sound sources, I also use a Make Noise Rosie. Like I said, it depends on what configuration I'm using and the actual situation (recording vs gig, mono FoH vs stereo, etc).
VM
Just graduatedfrom the 4ms Listen FQ to the WM Performance Mixer + DB25 output. This gives the very uswful ability perform, monitor and record each voice separately. Makes what minimal post-production stuff I do very quick and manageable.

It was a tossup between this or the hexmix and expander, but i prefer the horizontal form of the wmd.
Fallen_lassen
I got the Roland 531 and it is very good, you can use it standalone with a headphone or (in my case) with my little genelecs. Love it, but i want a second one Mr. Green
cptnal
Not all mixers are created equal, as has been said already...

Manhattan Analogue DTM - For mixing waveforms
2x ALM Tangle Quartet - For mixing and attenuating audio and CV
MI Blinds - For all your bipolar needs
4MS SISM - For all your other bipolar needs
Klavis Mixwitch - A curious and fascinating device
XAOC Samara - Lives next to Batumi, so tends to be for CV
Doepfer A138b - Bit of a filler module but tends to get used for gates and triggers
2x Doepfer A138m - For more mixing magic than you can possibly shake a patch cord at in one lifetime

I guess you could also count 2x Maths, precision adders, a Ladik Pan/Mix and a bit of OR logic. I belive there's a mixer algorithm in the Disting these days, but for some reason I've never felt the need to try it.

This is fun!
MvK
I use 1 Stereo and 2 Mono outs in my modular. For the live setup they are fed into the octatracks inputs. I use the 6hp intellijel mixer and sometimes a submixer before that to feed the Stereo out. And the Low-Gain submix6 for the 2 mono outputs. The final mix is done in the octatrack, which is a shame because everything gets digitalized. But it saves me from having to carry an external mixer to the venue and provides great sampling capabilities. Sooner or later I want to have the livesetup without the octatrack and I am thiking about using a couple of Knobfarm Hyrlo mixers because they are small and can be configured in many different ways.
R.U.Nuts
For the final mix I use a mixing desk. It's not only cheaper than a eurorack solution, it can also handle different input levels so bringing other signals like microphones or guitars into the mix is easy.
A mixing desk is also more ergonomic. In fact I treat my mixing desk more as a controller or an Instrument than just a device to control the final levels of different signals.

Inside the modular I have a bunch of small mixers for mixing waveforms, CV etc.
Tonescape
I went with the Frap Tools CGM system. Quite expensive pr. channel, but so much functionality and it sounds really really good.
cliffemu
The most basic reason to keep mixing in the rack is so you can keep it patched. Patching and unpatching to the mixer every time you set up is a pain. Maybe it's just me who likes to put away everything when I'm not playing. The same reason why I don't use my BSP.
Right now I'm using the Hikari 7-channel mixer and it's good for basic functionality in a small space except the controls are scaled for CV, not audio.

My ideal mixer module would be:
1) 8 mono channels with sliders and audio-level scaling
2) Gain trimmers
3) Mute push-buttons with LEDs, not switches
mspaint mock-up in case any manufacturers want to be a hero. It could be less HP too:
Arneb
Question to the desktop mixer crowd, do you use output modules before the mixing stage or are you just sending audio at modular levels into your desktop mixer through 3.5mm-to-6.35mm TS jack adapters?
cptnal
Arneb wrote:
...sending audio at modular levels into your desktop mixer through 3.5mm-to-6.35mm TS jack adapters?

Exactly what I do with my Mackie VLZ4 (which I didn't include in my original list Dead Banana ). In fact, with all the routing possibilities and a bunch of pedals, it's practically an extension of my rack. There's so issues with levels if that's what you're worried about. Just keep it low and work upwards. thumbs up
mdoudoroff
I’d flip that desktop mixer question around and ask whether anyone knows of any desktop mixers that CANNOT handle module levels?
ersatzplanet
For me, I think of it this way:

I use a cabinet module mixer for mixing PARTS of a patch.

I use an external mixer for mixing PATCHES.
Arneb
cptnal wrote:
Arneb wrote:
...sending audio at modular levels into your desktop mixer through 3.5mm-to-6.35mm TS jack adapters?

Exactly what I do with my Mackie VLZ4 (which I didn't include in my original list Dead Banana ). In fact, with all the routing possibilities and a bunch of pedals, it's practically an extension of my rack. There's so issues with levels if that's what you're worried about. Just keep it low and work upwards. thumbs up

Being able to handle modular levels is just one part of it, though. I mean, in my current 3U learning setup I do work with modular levels from ModDemix straight into an old DJ mixer I got for free from a friend decluttering their household. It works... with the fader at 20% in. Which makes for a pretty short usable fader range and a correspondingly sensitive fader. Which is why I'm currently doing the actual mixing work with ModDemix, not the DJ mixer.

(Ofc ModDemix isn't exactly a viable long-term solution either, except as part of a cascading setup.)
MindMachine
Nothing much to add, except I think that this is an exceptional design, especially for the size:

https://www.perfectcircuit.com/hikari-atten-mixer.html

Blairio
Arneb wrote:
cptnal wrote:
Arneb wrote:

Being able to handle modular levels is just one part of it, though. I mean, in my current 3U learning setup I do work with modular levels from ModDemix straight into an old DJ mixer I got for free from a friend decluttering their household. It works... with the fader at 20% in. Which makes for a pretty short usable fader range and a correspondingly sensitive fader. Which is why I'm currently doing the actual mixing work with ModDemix, not the DJ mixer.

(Ofc ModDemix isn't exactly a viable long-term solution either, except as part of a cascading setup.)

There are a number of modules designed to convert 'euro rack' level signals to a signal sometimes referred to as 'line level'. I use the Ladik A-525 (2ch line preamp + 2ch line out). It gives you 2 channels of 'step down' to line level, and 2 channels of 'step up' to euro level.

Perhaps if you placed something like the Ladik A-525 between your Moddemix and your DJ mixer, that would do the trick.
oilpanic
If I where to do it again I would pick the joranalogue mixer. Two of them.
Randy
I use the Barton Stereo Outs in my various racks. It's DIY so you'll need to build it but it's an easy build. I've done four of them so far, including a double version for my larger rack. They were perfect for me since they also have a headphone output.

http://www.modulargrid.net/e/barton-musical-circuits-stereo-outs-bmc05 4

Here's what the double looks like:

Tun
For maximum flexibility I decided on a few mixers with some other utility modules which also sum inputs, it works for me:

2 x Joranalogue Mix 3 (usually daisy-chained, feeding one of the Mixup's mono inputs)
Klavis Mixwitch (usually for audio but sometimes CV)
Erica Pico CV Mix (lives next to a WTF osc to feed either of the waveform modulation inputs)
Malekko Mix 4 (submix to Pico DSP in)
AJH Ring SM (to mix waveforms)
Intellijel Triatt (sometimes I mix the 3 channels; it also lives with the Pico CV mix next to the WTF osc)
Intellijel Quad VCA (can cascade 4 inputs to a single output)
Intellijel Mixup (this feeds my main stereo output: Joranalogue Transmit 2)
Maths is also a mixer I guess, and there's the Links 3 ch unity mixer too.

...and not forgetting the 4 ch VCA/mixer on my Koma Field Kit FX!

I like mixers thumbs up

Edit: Planning on another Transmit 2 soon for 4 balanced outs (1 stereo, 2 mono) feeding my preamps and converters.
ayruos
I use a Make Noise X-Pan for submixes, and also the Optomix and Moddemix and Maths as pseudo mixer-type applications too as a in-rack-mixing solution.

But, when I really want to branch out, I have a Erica Synths Link (which is just 5 x passive modular to line level 1/4" outs) and the stereo out from my Rosie (for a total of 7 channels) going into my Zoom R16, which I use both as a mixer but also for recording multitrack.
MindMachine
oilpanic wrote:
If I where to do it again I would pick the joranalogue mixer. Two of them.

What do you mean 'again'?

Petaluma, nice! I was in Mill Valley for a few years.

I use quite a few mixers for various functions but go out of the box with VCA's or my Erica Output module.
R.U.Nuts
Arneb wrote:
cptnal wrote:
Arneb wrote:

Doesn't that DJ mixer have input gain controls? Usually you can attenuate a modular signal with the built in channel preamps. I do gain staging in a way that I can slam the faders all the way up without clipping and it works fine if I set up the input gain correctly.
dopelganger
Thanks! This is an awesome reference!!

I get mskala's point and in the studio that makes complete sense. But for performance its not really an option...

mdoudoroff wrote:
Depending on your process there are many different ways to go, and with due respect to mskala, in many of them, a stereo mixer module can make a great deal of sense. It just depends.

Here’s a pretty exhaustive comparison list of the stereo mixer modules that are available:

https://doudoroff.com/mixers/

By no means does this comparison address all questions, but it’s probably a useful reference.
Arneb
R.U.Nuts wrote:
Arneb wrote:
cptnal wrote:
Arneb wrote:

Doesn't that DJ mixer have input gain controls? Usually you can attenuate a modular signal with the built in channel preamps. I do gain staging in a way that I can slam the faders all the way up without clipping and it works fine if I set up the input gain correctly.

That thing goes down to -10dB at the input gain stage, which is still too hot for using the faders as God intended. I don't really understand the math of this dBu/dBv/... stuff, would -20dB likely be enough?

dopelganger wrote:
Thanks! This is an awesome reference!!

I get mskala's point and in the studio that makes complete sense. But for performance its not really an option...

I'd say it still is, we're not talking about bringing an X32 after all. Somewhere between 6 and 12 channels ought to suffice and still be light enough for live gear.
steveoath
Rebel technology's mix range are great. I'll be picking up another mix module to complement the one I have ready. The link function is cool too.
ZenitSar
I use a Doepfer A-138p. It's cool because it's simple. I need to get another one because I need more channels. I'm mixing kick, snare, hihat, and a couple of voices atm. I like the send and send level control for delay use, but I kind of wish it had two sends. I thought about modding it to accommodate an individual out module that would be easy to make. It's cheap, but sturdy.
DJMaytag
It looks like it could be crazy expensive, but the Frap Tools CGM system looks really nice. I don't need the EQ's, so this is a good way to start a system for me: buy the Group and a couple channel modules, then add a master and additional channels later. I'd rather drop $200 several times than drop $800 or $1000 all at once.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 2