MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Sandin Analogue Image Processor 1973
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author Sandin Analogue Image Processor 1973
Roycie Roller
I've heard Grant Richter mention this guy, and i think Grant did some of this kind of video work early on, but this is the first time i have seen this, and i'm blown away!

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=8qh6jRzjmcY

And also found these other ones made with the Image Prosessor

http://www.evl.uic.edu/core.php?mod=5&type=8&indi=7&rel=7
futuresoundsystems
Video synthesizers amaze me... wasn't someone on the internet working on making a modular video synth in kit form?
amnesia
severed heads
BugBrand
Have a look through this electromusic thread -- there's full schematics for the machine.

Warning -- there's a lot of info and many hard-to-find parts.
It would be amazing to make such a device, but it would be a great deal of work for sure!
Bits of the documentation can, though, be tweaked to more regular modular synth work...
MrDys
One of these went on Ebay about 6 months ago before I got a chance to bid on it. It made me very grumbly.

I've looked into what it takes to design modular analog video circuits, and frankly it's pretty much a dead art. Digital has really taken over in the video processing arena, and analogue chips are neigh impossible to find. Because of this, everything is essentially a microprocessor, which means every module is a complete power suck, even for something tiny like a HSB processor. Even creating a video "mult" requires a lot more components to ensure that the image quality does not degrade when it is split into however many copies. Another concern is that every module needs to integrate some kind of image stabilization circuit for every output it is, otherwise you get flickering images that aren't sync'd to the refresh rate of the tv/monitor you are using. Every. Output.

There are plenty of 80's-like video-effects-on-a-chip out there that could be used, but the quality is iffy, and you're essentially limited to whatever the chip does (wipes, solarization, etc), and frankly, that's not modular enough for me.

I'll have to read through that e-m thread and see if any new info jumps out at me. I'd be very interested in pulling something together.
Audio Resistance
amnesia wrote:
severed heads
Tom Ellard but out a statement earlier this year that "Severed Heads are Dead, and he is tired of talking about them". They are one of the most unappreciated bands ever in my opinion. Both times I saw them in concert 20 years ago they did all kinds of those chroma-type video effects thru the whole show.
wetterberg
what we'd be doing for modular video work today would be to build an analogue front-end to a digital image processing system. The "analogue front-end" would be, in essence, a fancy midi controller.

I'd love to be involved in designing a modular video system some day.
brandon daniel
Audio Resistance wrote:
amnesia wrote:
severed heads
Tom Ellard but out a statement earlier this year that "Severed Heads are Dead, and he is tired of talking about them". They are one of the most unappreciated bands ever in my opinion. Both times I saw them in concert 20 years ago they did all kinds of those chroma-type video effects thru the whole show.

I've got a whole VHS of old Sevs videos, lots of crazy good lo-fi stuff going on there. Same with early Cabaret Voltaire vids.
amnesia
Severed Heads were brilliant before they sounded like New Order :-)

And I would have to agree with Tom Ellards statement,,,,,,Just check out albums such as

Come Visit The Big Biggot
Since The Accident
etc

Amazing stuff and Steve Jones had a huge rack of video synthesizers on tour all through the 80s..
Roycie Roller
I love Severed Heads too! A friend recently gave me a copy of 'Clifford Darling' & 'Please Don't Live in the Past' (early works). One of them puts out music by the name of 'Bradbury'- i have a cd called 'Ruffini Corpuscle', it's pretty good.
@Tom- thanks for pointing me in the direction of that e.m thread, there is tonnes of interesting stuff there.
I see a lot of old video equipment that gets thrown out at the tip, so i'll take a closer look at some of the IC's.
haricots
Severed Heads are/were great! I caught them live a couple times in the 80's (with Skinny Puppy).
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1