MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

218e question.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author 218e question.
Stevenwrightpma
So I'm getting a 208r rev2 and I wanted to pair it with a 218e instead of a 218r
Seems they are hard to grab and hard to afford. So I might pick up this 218e from a local buddy.
There's a chip in one of the keys. Also a strange grounding issue that makes the octaves switch sometimes. The power is diy'd on breadboard. I'll be getting an easel boat with the 208r and a regular power supply.
Possible that the keyboard being chipped damaged the circuit and makes it act wonky? Or is that the grounding issue?
I'm getting it for a hell of a deal. Should I buy it? Idk. This buchla stuff is so expensive hahaha

Stevenwrightpma wrote:
So I'm getting a 208r rev2 and I wanted to pair it with a 218e instead of a 218r
Seems they are hard to grab and hard to afford. So I might pick up this 218e from a local buddy.
There's a chip in one of the keys. Also a strange grounding issue that makes the octaves switch sometimes. The power is diy'd on breadboard. I'll be getting an easel boat with the 208r and a regular power supply.
Possible that the keyboard being chipped damaged the circuit and makes it act wonky? Or is that the grounding issue?
I'm getting it for a hell of a deal. Should I buy it? Idk. This buchla stuff is so expensive hahaha

As to wether you should buy or not, hard to say from a distance. If I were you and had the chance, I would test and experiment with it, trying to get it to work before buying.

I know that the 218e tends to, in general have grounding issues. This has been discussed quite a bit and from what I gather there are a few things one can do to circumvent malfunction and grounding issues.

Stay away from fluorescent lights.

Don't play barefoot.

Buchla recommends not touching it for about one minute after powering on. I wait about two minutes and although I don't have any grounding issues I can tell a difference in responsiveness (or at least I'd like to think I do) when I do so.

Try using one of those ground wrist cables, I have heard that those work well.

So back to your question concerning buying or not. I wouldn't buy the unit if I didn't have some sort of work-around.
Stevenwrightpma
Ok. I played on it myself and I loved it. But it did switch octaves on me a couple times.
I need to do some research on grounding and maybe I'll better understand how to deal with it. But a 218e is hard to pass up for $500.
elmerfudd
The finish chip on the key is no big deal and shouldn't effect anything. The preset/octave jump is almost certainly the power supply, any ripple causes problems.
Stevenwrightpma wrote:
Ok. I played on it myself and I loved it. But it did switch octaves on me a couple times.
I need to do some research on grounding and maybe I'll better understand how to deal with it. But a 218e is hard to pass up for $500.

500$ seems like a steal, but only for a properly functioning unit. I would be frustrated having spent 500$ on something that isn't working as should. Not to mention that you may end up spending x amount of money getting it fixed. I've seen killer clones for 700, they don't have midi and arp but I also haven't heard of them having grounding issues.
Ginko
I've had a BUSA Easel for a few months and the 218e is solid most of the time. I allow 30seconds after power on and that is fine. The two times I have had problems is once playing at a friend's house when notes starting hanging like I was using sustain - power cycle fixed that. The other time I was using some guitar pedals and one of the pedals had a sub standard PSU which caused interference - switching it out fixed immediately

Edit: just to add that I don't use MIDI at the moment and don't have any immediate plans to - but I do use the arp a LOT and more recently started using a sustain pedal which is useful sometimes. I think you can mod some versions of the DIY 218 to take sustain input
jo__dem
try using a different power supply. that diy breadboard might be the issue with grounding and octave switching.
Minimoog56
Drillionaire can repair your 218e
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1