MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

First 84HP Setup. Have I missed anything?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author First 84HP Setup. Have I missed anything?
peachesandbacon
Hello all!
I’ve picked up a 3U / 84HP tip-top happy ending set to rack some eurorack straight into my studio desk and I’ve made a list of the modules I’m keen to get started with.

I’m currently at 72HP and have 12HP remaining.

These are the modules I’m interested in starting up with:
Pamela’s New Workout - 8HP
Rings - 14HP
Braids - 16HP
UScale - 6HP
Maths - 20HP
Rosie (output) - 8HP

Before I pull the trigger on these, have I missed anything glaringly obvious to get things working?

Or does anyone have ideas on picking up alternative modules instead?

Also ideas to fill the remaining 12HP would be welcomed.

Thank you all so much.
moremagic
using maths as a vca can be fun but id want a real one, myself
Tun
Utilities? Links and Kinks perhaps? Attenuators? Mixer/VCA?
ayruos
peachesandbacon wrote:
Hello all!
I’ve picked up a 3U / 84HP tip-top happy ending set to rack some eurorack straight into my studio desk and I’ve made a list of the modules I’m keen to get started with.

I’m currently at 72HP and have 12HP remaining.

These are the modules I’m interested in starting up with:
Pamela’s New Workout - 8HP
Rings - 14HP
Braids - 16HP
UScale - 6HP
Maths - 20HP
Rosie (output) - 8HP

Before I pull the trigger on these, have I missed anything glaringly obvious to get things working?

Or does anyone have ideas on picking up alternative modules instead?

Also ideas to fill the remaining 12HP would be welcomed.

Thank you all so much.

Not sure what you plan to do with this setup (and it's ok if you don't know either) and also how you'd be sequencing it, but here's some quick thoughts about what you have so far.

Rings and Braids are both excellent voices.
Pam's is great for clocking and some modulations.
Can't go wrong with a Maths.

Not sure why you want the uScale though? LFOs/modulations into the uScale to the voices? Something like that?

Rosie... Hmm, I've had one for two years and it's used in everything that I do but if I were getting an output module today I probably wouldn't get a Rosie. The Rosie is great for mono voices and the send stereo return path is cool, but if you want to consider stereo at some point, the Rosie really gets limiting as all the features are suddenly not there anymore (can't monitor the stereo in/return over the headphones output, for example). The cue-ing function and the crossfader are cool in theory but I've not actually ever used it. Of course, your mileage may differ but I'd really consider a smaller output module (like the Befaco Out V3) with a dedicated mixer module (Befaco STMix, Intellijel Mixup), or a different way to mix, which would come up below...

I think you're missing VCAs. I'm a bit skeptical of the whole "can't have enough VCAs" saying, but not having ANY... not sure if that's a sound choice. An not a real VCA but could be cool module to add to this setup would be a Moddemix. It can function as a VCA, but can also do ring modulations, etc which could be useful and finally it can also work as a 2 + 1 input mixer in a pinch, too.
mosorensen
I think it looks like a good start. PNW can also do random and some other basic modulation, and with Maths that should keep you going for a while.

A couple of your modules are old versions with new replacements. Braids is now replaced by Plaits, and uScales is now Scales. Unless you have a strong desire for the original, the new versions are probably better and easier to find.

Scales (or uScale) makes sense to me. It has a S&H, and it would be excellent for turning Maths and PNWs' modulations into more melodic V/octs. For more melodies, you may later want a sequencer or a way to attach an external keyboard, but that can come later.

Plaits has a built in VCA, so that would work for now. But I agree entirely that you probably will want more VCAs and mixing down the road.

One way would be an output module that does more of that for you. I use PanMix by Happy Nerding. It is excellent. But it may be too much for this case.

Another way would be one of the combined VCA mixers (e.g., 3xVCA, Veils, Blinds, Quad VCA, etc.). They are very useful for CV as well.
Agawell
I'd start with a sound source, a sound modifier, a modulation source, something to play them with and something to mix them with

sound source - either rings or braids (to be honest unless you are getting a great deal used on the braids - get plaits instead)

modulation source - maths

sound modifier - missing - get a basic doepfer filter - a120 or something more interesting perhaps

something to mix them with - I'd go for a cascading quad vca here - dump the rosie and go straight out of the last output into whatever you are

that leaves 30hp

something to play them with - take your choice - midi/sequencer/expert sleepers - depends on what else you are using - daw/audio interface etc - you shouldn't need the uscale in this case!!

I'd also recommend links and kinks as simple utiltiy modules (which you will need) and a disting mk4 - a swiss army knife oif a module - great in beginner systems for filling holes and pointing the way - great in bigger systems as a - if only I had another vco/vca/lfo/delay + 80 other modes
Fallen_lassen
Clouds?
VM
Plaits instead of braids.
Pico DSP
Malekko bufferered mult (the one with the mute switch)
SEM passive signal router (2hp)
MarcelP
VCAs - so you can modulate your modulation - that's where the fun is!
Mixer so you can mix your modulation.
A S&H is huge fun with all that PNW clock and modulation output.

And ditch the Roisie - no need for it, just patch your audio straight up your desk.

Braids was one of my first oscillators but is probably one of my least used now - even though it produces a host of great sounds. My most satisfying go-to oscillators are complex oscillators...much more fun to patch creatively. There is something "preset" about how braids feels, even though it sounds fab.
ggillon
Fallen_lassen wrote:
Clouds?

Yeah how can you Ring into Clouds without Clouds?

To OP; those are all popular modules so I guess you are on the safe side. Don't really know what you plan to do with it though
BlinkyLights
Skip Rosie, add VCAs, S&H, and utilities
spew_boi
Surely clouds and a nice VCF
peachesandbacon
Thanks for all the amazing replies people.
Some great suggestions in here.

I'd really ideally like to keep both Rings & Plaits if possible and adding FX is a good idea. I've made some changes and put together a rough modular grid, losing the rosie and adding an ES8 as I'd like to control things from Ableton.
I've also added mults and a 3xVCA module plus the Milky Way fx module from Endorphins, who's stuff I love the design of.

The Uscale and Pams I'm super keen to keep as I'd love to be able to put together patches like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nj1Ri53gaNA

I did however have to exchange scales for uscale2 (thinking I might find one second hand, as I didn't have enough HP with the newer Scales module.

As awesome as the Disting seems to be, with many functions available, I'd rather keep menu diving to a minimum if I can help it, more keen on modules that are more playable / hands on "etc"

I forgot to mention I own a Moog Grandmother with a bunch of patchable modules on, so filters and LFOs and another mult and attenuator I can get from there.

Would love to know if I'm on the right track and any further suggestions or tweaks.

BlinkyLights
Have you considered the smaller 8hp versions of Rings and Plaits, that some makers offer?

That change alone would free up 12hp.
mosorensen
I don't have any of them myself, but the features of the Expert Sleepers interface modules are very confusing. Make sure that it is really the ES8 that you want. The FH-2 seems to make more sense, but maybe somebody with actual experience with these modules can help.

Also, it doesen't really make sense to be running out of space and be compromising on modules at this point in the process. You might as well face it, and just get a bigger case. You will need it.
peachesandbacon
That's true.

I do have more space in the desk, there's 3 x 3U 84HP rack spaces that I don't use for rack gear and my long term plan is to fill it with eurorack.

If I bought things over a period of time, rather than dropping all the cash at once, which modules would be good ones to grab first, ones that will work together and I could actually make some music with?
youwontsimi
That's a pretty nice setup you built there.

I got some of the modules too (check my modulargrid below). My way was kind of similar: I started with a semi-modular (Pittsburgh SV-1) and added modules slowly.

I started with another VCA and ADSR. Next module after that was Maths.

Building up on your Grandmother I would start with the VCA and Maths. Next could be PAM, Scales and one of the Mutable voices you picked (I would choose plaits first, it's more versatile then rings, which has a very special sound).

ES-8 ist perfect for connecting the modular to ableton (since Ableton's CV tools!) and you can also use it to record four independend tracks directly or use ableton for various fx you can even cv control via es8).
Mr Ditto
I building a similar sized rig but expanding upon a 0Coast... made a case with two rows of 84HP.

Plan on building up the basics in the first row then building out the lower row with sequencer and effects later.

Currently looks like this: https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_980211.jpg (the 0Coast isn't actually in the rack)

Plan on adding another audio source / VCO, VCA, Envelopes, Maths and LxD to round out the top row.

@OP - what's the rationale for the scales? I'm trying to figure if I need one. I plan on initially using the 0Coast as a midi to CV and to get a synced clock into the Octocontrol.

Ultimately I'll get a midi module so it will play nice with Ableton.

I assume that if I also want to do musical scale based stuff when not connected to a DAW then I'll need a scale quantiser like this of some sort.

Is that right?
peachesandbacon
Mr Ditto wrote:
I building a similar sized rig but expanding upon a 0Coast... made a case with two rows of 84HP.

Plan on building up the basics in the first row then building out the lower row with sequencer and effects later.

Currently looks like this: https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_980211.jpg (the 0Coast isn't actually in the rack)

Plan on adding another audio source / VCO, VCA, Envelopes, Maths and LxD to round out the top row.

@OP - what's the rationale for the scales? I'm trying to figure if I need one. I plan on initially using the 0Coast as a midi to CV and to get a synced clock into the Octocontrol.

I assume that if I also want to do musical scale based stuff when not connected to a DAW then I'll need a scale quantiser like this of some sort.

Is that right?

Yup, pretty much, I'm interested in using modules to do some generative stuff that I can then capture and loop in ableton, the uScale / Scales, is perfect for creating musical ideas from things like Pams and a sound source I think.
EdJ
peachesandbacon wrote:
Mr Ditto wrote:

Is that right?

Yup, pretty much, I'm interested in using modules to do some generative stuff that I can then capture and loop in ableton, the uScale / Scales, is perfect for creating musical ideas from things like Pams and a sound source I think.

Quick note on Scales vs uscale - the Scales has a sequencer built in, which is a huge benefit imo, especially when combined with a pam's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJyY2kjheiA
deftinwulf
ayruos wrote:
Rosie... Hmm, I've had one for two years and it's used in everything that I do but if I were getting an output module today I probably wouldn't get a Rosie. The Rosie is great for mono voices and the send stereo return path is cool, but if you want to consider stereo at some point, the Rosie really gets limiting as all the features are suddenly not there anymore (can't monitor the stereo in/return over the headphones output, for example). The cue-ing function and the crossfader are cool in theory but I've not actually ever used it. Of course, your mileage may differ but I'd really consider a smaller output module (like the Befaco Out V3)

I'm kind of in a similar boat, though I seem to get a bit more use out of my Rosie than most people do. I used Rosie for months before ever needing the crossfade, but it has actually proven handy when volume levels from different sources are mismatched. I had a patch the other day with some extremely loud drums and a quiet synth, and needed to crank the xfade control almost all the way to one side, but it allowed me to perfectly balance the signals. Granted you can do that with a number of modules, but it's kind of nice having an additional "input mix" section on my output module for emergencies. Though I do think MN really missed a trick by not putting VC over that crossfade section. The panel is large enough that an extra in jack would have easily fit.

Then again, I have 208hp of space to OP's 84hp. Even still, I have considered trying to downsize to the Befaco Output v3 in order to free up that precious 4hp. One of the things I like about Rosie is the TRS balanced out that basically converts Mono to "stereo" (dual mono) in my daw over a single cable (stereo TRS input on my soundcard). I haven't found much of an explanation on the Output v3's "Both Outputs are TRS balanced." - does this mean that it has essentially 2x the outputs that Rosie has and either one would work for my mono->"stereo" needs?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1