MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Jumping into euro sequencer
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Jumping into euro sequencer
guigui
Hi everyone,

So, simply put, I have Squarp Pyramid and I considering to get rid of it and go for a eurorack sequencer. Why? Because I'm basically using it with my rack, I need a MIDI to CV module on my rack and saying goodbye to MIDI would be nice. And I'll probably have some spare bucks to spend in other modules of my list.

But I'm afraid of loosing the great things about it. I like its interface a lot, I've became intimate with its workflow and complexity and it has amazing skills.

So, should I jump into euro sequencers or stop whining about it?

And in the case of going euro, do you recommend a sequencer with which I'd loose the least possible (besides the obvious Hermod)?
sutekina bipu-on
I had kind of a similar thought getting into euro sequencers but now i'm finding i'm happy to do all my sequencing in Euro.

I do a lot of 16 bar rhythms so i have a Division 6 dual mini sequencer and i love it. Basic but does the job very clearly and quickly and can be easily reprogrammed on the fly.

O_C and temps utile a very sick combo.

I used to use a midi to cv module but i decided i wanted the hp back and got a cv.ocd. I never change the settings on it so it's been an ideal match for me, though i wish it could have been usb powered...

I also use a knit rider and basically let midi handle the non gate/trigger sequencing.
hru
sutekina bipu-on wrote:

I used to use a midi to cv module but i decided i wanted the hp back and got a cv.ocd. I never change the settings on it so it's been an ideal match for me, though i wish it could have been usb powered...

not 100% sure, as far as i remember CV.OCD works with this USB to 9V Converter.
Jumbuktu
Squarp make the Hermod modular brain, which I believe is a cut-down eurorack version of the Pyramid. However, reviews are mixed, so I would do some reading on this forum before jumping.

It's so difficult to find a sequencer that you are comfortable with. If you are happy with the Pyramid, take your time before opting to replace it.
BlinkyLights
I don't think you'll find an equivalent Sequencer to the Pyramid for less money.

Personally, I'd stick with the Pyramid and add a Mutant Brain or something if you need more CV on it.
base615
I have a Pyramid and it was initially paired with Yarns as my only sequencer for eurorack. For the most part it works perfectly but there are a few things you can do with a dedicated euro sequencer that I've never been able to replicate with Pyramid.

I like to do a lot of random stuff but mixed in with non-random. For example, have a regular pattern of triggers but on a few steps, add a probability for that trigger of say 30% so that it rarely happens but keeps things a bit fresh. It also works well for triggering random envelopes for modulation.

Pyramid has the 'Chance' effect but, unless I'm wrong, you can only set a probability for all notes whereas you can set each note's probability separately with my Varigate 8+. Hopefully Squarp rectify that in a future PyraOS release.

The second thing I like to do is have a CV sequence running on the Voltage Block or Mimetic Digitalis and, with a longer envelope, you get additional pitches after the trigger during the decay rather than the single note you get with Pyramid / Yarns or through a sample and hold. I don't know if I've articulated that in a way you can understand what I mean, but it's a pretty cool technique and I haven't found a way to do it easily with Pyramid.

Anyway, if you can deal with not being able to do those sort of things, I think Pyramid into Yarns / Mutant Brain / CV.OCD is a pretty powerful sequencer.
guigui
Right now my strategy is exactly keeping things as they are.

But is very tempting to get a Hermod, even with that tiny screen.
forestcaver
Westlicht Sequencer is worth looking at....
https://westlicht.github.io/performer
mdoudoroff
Here be dragons. Sequencers are intensely personal, and they all entail design biases and significant compromises. And once you get past the utility sequencers, they’re generally big and expensive.

Here’s a pretty exhaustive list in case it’s useful:

https://doudoroff.com/sequencers/
pieter
It is fun to roll your own, for example Pamela's New Workout with Ryo Paths and two (or more) Transient Modules 8S.
sylvainstg
I like the idea of O_c for its capabilities in euclidian rhythms.
void23
My personal favorite is the Metropolis. 8 steps can sound limiting, let me continue a bit ... it's not about having one sequencer, the real fun starts when you have sequencers start sequencing other sequencers. Also, having separate pitch and trigger sequencers opens up additional new paths.

I think a Metropolis / Voltage Block combo would be really fun (but expensive).
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1