MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

I didn’t realize until today that These Days by Nico...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion  
Author I didn’t realize until today that These Days by Nico...
onthebandwagon
is the same song by Jackson Browne. When I first heard the Nico version as a teen I found her voice so despondent, melancholic and Germanic-ly erotic. The Jackson Browne version well, his voice is always too smooth, nearly sickly sweet for me—although I wouldn’t turn it off if came on the radio, and to his credit he wrote some great lyrics. Anyway, I’m rather surprised I never put two and two together...
Fog Door
Wow. This is news to me too, never heard the Jackson Browne version until I read your post. They are both different vibes but the JB version is pretty much flawless 70's country rock, a bit obvious in its approach but that shit can be killer if it catches you in the right moment. Thanks for posting this interesting little piece of trivia thumbs up
thevegasnerve
love Nico, but this Jackson Browne version is pretty good. wrote it when he was 16.. wow

Jackson Browne live version
onthebandwagon
thevegasnerve wrote:
love Nico, but this Jackson Browne version is pretty good. wrote it when he was 16.. wow

Jackson Browne live version

I’m not hating on the Jackson Browne version but maybe I should listen to the live version—I generally don’t like the production of his albums.

Crazy he wrote it at 16, especially since the lyrics seem like they are written, quite earnestly; from the perspective of someone who is older and jaded—maybe that’s why it sounds more heartfelt coming from Nico, who was already a bit haggard in a way by the time she recorded it.
Michael O.
From what I remember Nico didn’t write, or at least was not credited with writing, any of the songs on Chelsea Girl; it was primarily Lou Reed, Jackson Browne, and I think one throwaway Dylan song.

I don’t know who did the string arrangements, but they’re some of the most beautiful I’ve ever heard, and really help Nico’s rendition of “These Days” to transcend into the folk pop masterpiece that it is. The criminally-underrated Tom Wilson handled the damn-near objectively perfect production for that album.

Time for a relisten, I loved that album when I was, ironically enough, about the age Browne was when he wrote “These Days.”
onthebandwagon
Just read this on Wikipedia, not so sure Nico was a very good judge of what is listenable:

Nico disliked the strings addition and called the whole album "unlistenable" as a result.[3] But Pitchfork said that nevertheless, the "ineffable sadness" and "grandeur of her melancholy" came through.[3]
IanEye
I always enjoyed this 90's version by the Golden Palominos :

(bass by Bill Laswell)
nostalghia
Michael O. wrote:

I don’t know who did the string arrangements, but they’re some of the most beautiful I’ve ever heard, and really help Nico’s rendition of “These Days” to transcend into the folk pop masterpiece that it is.

Larry Fallon was the arranger. He also did arrangements for Van Morrison's "Astral Weeks" lp and the Stone's "Gimme Shelter".

Here's an in depth review of "Chelsea Girl" with many interesting details about the album:
https://soundblab.com/reviews/albums/classic-albums/21237-nico-chelsea -girl
ModHiisi
onthebandwagon wrote:
Just read this on Wikipedia, not so sure Nico was a very good judge of what is listenable:

Nico disliked the strings addition and called the whole album "unlistenable" as a result.[3] But Pitchfork said that nevertheless, the "ineffable sadness" and "grandeur of her melancholy" came through.[3]

Yeah, Chelsea girl's probably most watered down "Nico" album...
onthebandwagon
ModHiisi wrote:
onthebandwagon wrote:

Yeah, Chelsea girl's probably most watered down "Nico" album...

Well, I only really like These Days off it honestly, I also don’t care for most of what Lou Reed has done (night sound like sacrilege to some) but am very fond of a lot of John Cale’s solo work.
Wartimetapestry
I do like Chelsea Girl, and I love a lot of Lou's work, but it's John Cale all the way for me. Wrong Way Up with Eno is a masterclass in pop music - Equally sort of ridiculous in parts and beautiful in others.
onthebandwagon
Wartimetapestry wrote:
I do like Chelsea Girl, and I love a lot of Lou's work, but it's John Cale all the way for me. Wrong Way Up with Eno is a masterclass in pop music - Equally sort of ridiculous in parts and beautiful in others.

His albums can really be surprising one to another, Music for a New Society is so damn bleak and depressing esp. compared Wrong Way Up.
dandandan
"Please don't confront me with my failures
I had not forgotten them"

I haven't listened to this album for a long time, thanks for reminding me. Perfect for this time of year when autumn is starting.
Wartimetapestry
Yeah, that line is a killer. I always thought it was an incredibly insightful line for a 16 year old to write. Though as I get older, I can see how the inner self doesn't change too much.

As someone who finds Jackson Browne and the whole canyon vibe (outside a few exceptions) pretty tedious, I guess it just shows you that great songwriting can be interpreted in many ways... I even heard a housey version of Harvest Moon recently that was quite impressive eek!
onthebandwagon
dandandan wrote:
"Please don't confront me with my failures
I had not forgotten them"

I haven't listened to this album for a long time, thanks for reminding me. Perfect for this time of year when autumn is starting.

Yes, something autumnal about it, not sure how I came to listen to that song the other day but it really took me back to when I started listening to the album.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion  
Page 1 of 1