Polyend Poly 2

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., luketeaford, lisa, Kent

guigui
Wiggling with Experience

Polyend Poly 2

Post by guigui » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:52 pm

Hi everyone,

I am eagerly waiting to know more about recently announced Polyend Poly 2 MIDI to CV module.

So, anyone who gets one, please share your experience with it.

morbank
Common Wiggler

Post by morbank » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:42 pm

First post here...

Just picked one up a few days ago. I'm using it to convert MIDI from an iPhone app called Quantum Sequencer (6 tracks) into Gates and CV for my small percussion based modular rig. Easy enough to set up. Build quality seems quite good.

Something to keep in mind... The Poly 2 supports up to 8 "voices" but you may need to calculate how many CVs you will need since the number depends on how many gates you are using. In other words, if you did use all 8 voices you'd only have 4 available CVs. I'm using the "Notes" mode (4 other modes available) which "translates data received from MIDI Notes C through G and directs them into the corresponding voices". This is what I was using my previous MIDI to Gate device (Tubbutec's UniPulse which only had one CV out btw) so I was happy to see it included. Assigning CV or CC is straight forward. I have all of my CV's assigned to velocity (you can also assign specific MIDI CC's if you want).

Some other features that I'm not using are... the ability to filter midi notes by musical scale (39 to choose from), you can convert middle C to be compatible with DAWs that have different protocols, two choices for Gate voltage (0-5V or 0-10V), reverse the phase of the gate, the ability to "multiply" the clock to be compatible with Euroracks '4PPQN' convention, "Smart Thru" which allows you to daisy-chain multiple Poly 2 units and passes thru data not used by the unit within the current setting to the MIDI output, "CC/CV Smoothing" I actually could not get this feature to work, you can also save presets of your configurations. I'm sure I'm forgetting some other features but those were the ones that I can remember off hand. There's a manual for the Poly 2 on Polyends website now as well: http://polyend.com/wp-content/uploads/2 ... al_web.pdf

One issue I'm having tho is that I am getting what sound like voltage spike clicks from the gates with some of my modules (Akemie's Taiko, SDSV+). With a Gate output from Poly 2 patched directly into Akemie's Taiko "Trigger" input I can clearly hear the clicks if I set the releases to longer settings. I am new to eurorack so I may be doing something to cause this but I can't figure out what that might be???

Hope that gives people some insight to this (potentially) great module.

morbank

half.cto
Learning to Wiggle

Post by half.cto » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:28 am

I'm also interested in Poly 2 to bridge Octatrack to modular.
Have you tried sending LFOs over CC?

johell667
1-Post Wiggler

Re: Polyend Poly 2

Post by johell667 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:08 pm

Does anyone have a problem with the cc to cv convertion? It seem that my port are just using the value 0 to 64?

Octavian
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Octavian » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:41 am

johell667 wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:08 pm
Does anyone have a problem with the cc to cv convertion? It seem that my port are just using the value 0 to 64?
Did you get any resolution on this yet? I'm considering swapping my Poly for a Poly 2 but going over pro's and con's

reiz trigger
Learning to Wiggle

Post by reiz trigger » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:20 am

i try to use my new polyend "poly 2" with a roli seaboard block.
problem is: nothing happens. at all. not one single note can be played.

seaboard block firmware is up to date, the unit is fully powered (led is green) and
connected via usb-c to poly's usb "host"-in.

poly2 settings so far are:
"playmode": next
"voices": 4
jumper on the back is set to power external units.
for now, only the four gates and pitches go to modules, i will dive into added
mpe-stuff when the basics work.

my big problem: i don't know if settings on the seaboard or the poly
are wrong or what the actual problem really is.
hooking the roli to a laptop (via usb) works.
hooking the poly to another midicontroller (or daw) via midi works as well.

just the damn combination of the two via usb doesn't.
also strange: power led on the roli turns off after about a minute…

can someone help?

thanks very much.

reiz trigger
Learning to Wiggle

Post by reiz trigger » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:29 am

a little update on this:

-set the jumper on the back of the module back to "normal": seaboard block
(which then needs to have enought battery power obviously) does not turn off anymore.

-set "poly 2" back to factory settings and started from scratch.
main functionality works now.

NEW PROBLEM:
using poly's "velocity" setting on -say- cv "1 to 4" for aftertouch with the seaboard block for four eurorack voices
produces very ugly "steps" / "glitches" in the eurorack-synth that sound almost like distortion…

polyend-support (which is friendly and relatively quick) confirmed that they had the same problem
with the seaboard block/roli usb-midi in general and therefore disabled aftertouch via "velocity" in their demos.

so i even tried seaboard block to iphone (wireless with midimittr) and then with iRigMidi2 to poly2's DIN-midi in.
connection works flawlessly but same ugly behaviour.

conclusion: poly 2 and roli seaboard block don't work together well regarding aftertouch via "velocity".
other mpe-controls (such as "74" for "slide") work ok with the poly 2.

polyend-support (again: friendly) blames roli. roli-support did not even care to reply.

so i will not be playing a four-voice euro with the seaboard block (which i don't even particularly like anyways)
but wait for the expressive e "osmose"...

cheers

Keikari
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Keikari » Fri May 01, 2020 9:18 am

reiz trigger wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:29 am
a little update on this:

-set the jumper on the back of the module back to "normal": seaboard block
(which then needs to have enought battery power obviously) does not turn off anymore.

-set "poly 2" back to factory settings and started from scratch.
main functionality works now.

NEW PROBLEM:
using poly's "velocity" setting on -say- cv "1 to 4" for aftertouch with the seaboard block for four eurorack voices
produces very ugly "steps" / "glitches" in the eurorack-synth that sound almost like distortion…

polyend-support (which is friendly and relatively quick) confirmed that they had the same problem
with the seaboard block/roli usb-midi in general and therefore disabled aftertouch via "velocity" in their demos.

so i even tried seaboard block to iphone (wireless with midimittr) and then with iRigMidi2 to poly2's DIN-midi in.
connection works flawlessly but same ugly behaviour.

conclusion: poly 2 and roli seaboard block don't work together well regarding aftertouch via "velocity".
other mpe-controls (such as "74" for "slide") work ok with the poly 2.

polyend-support (again: friendly) blames roli. roli-support did not even care to reply.

so i will not be playing a four-voice euro with the seaboard block (which i don't even particularly like anyways)
but wait for the expressive e "osmose"...

cheers
You can try FH-2 from expert sleeper with the expender which gives you 8 extra CV output, you can setup every outputs with a friendly software. I also bought the poly 2 to send CC messages from Ableton, but sometimes it's freezing, now I hesitate with the FH-2.

theboywho
Learning to Wiggle

Post by theboywho » Fri May 01, 2020 5:21 pm

Can someone who has this module tell me is there is a midi header on the back? I'm currently torn between this and the FH2, but would like to link it to the midi sockeets on my Intellijel case.

scragz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by scragz » Fri May 01, 2020 6:33 pm

theboywho wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 5:21 pm
Can someone who has this module tell me is there is a midi header on the back? I'm currently torn between this and the FH2, but would like to link it to the midi sockeets on my Intellijel case.
You can hook up FH-2 to Intellijel case if you get individual headers and lookup the pinouts for the case and module. I have mine working like this. No idea on the Poly.

theboywho
Learning to Wiggle

Post by theboywho » Fri May 01, 2020 6:42 pm

scragz wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 6:33 pm
theboywho wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 5:21 pm
You can hook up FH-2 to Intellijel case if you get individual headers and lookup the pinouts for the case and module. I have mine working like this. No idea on the Poly.
I've seen it's possible on the Intellijel forum for the FH-2, would just need to dig into it a bit more, also looks like PAMs or Distings could make use of the MIDI out too.
For the Poly I'm inclined to think that becuase I can't find any info on a pinout anywhere that one doesn't exist, so I'm leaning towards the FH-2, but that works out a bit more expensive for the same amount of outs, and the MIDI thru on the front would be useful for the 0-Coast

Shmadishma
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Shmadishma » Sat May 02, 2020 3:39 am

Have any Poly 2 owners been having trouble with the Start/Stop custom CV?

Got my Poly 2 yesterday to pair with my Octatrack Mk II and the clock sync works fine but the transport "start" message seems to be delayed. I've got the clock and start/stop CVs running from Poly into Pam's NW for clocking the rack. So everything in the rack often (but not always!) falls out of sync by whatever PPQN setting I'm running. (And if I run at 1 PPQN then the clock takes a couple of beats to get going/stabilize.)

I suspect this is potentially an Octatrack-Poly 2 pairing specific problem as the Poly 2 seems fine (both clock and start/stop) when clocked from my keystep... But I imagine Octa-Poly is a relatively common pairing so thought it worth asking here if anyone's run into anything similar! (Searched elsewhere for answers already.)

Edit: should've added that I had the Octa previously running through a uMidi without issue.

empirix
Common Wiggler

Post by empirix » Sun May 17, 2020 3:19 pm

Hi

is there an output clock on the poly 2 module, i am trying to sync and clock a circadian rhythms? In the menu under cv, there is an option to configure a cv to send clock, i get no joy though, any information appreciated, cheers

davide3737
Common Wiggler

Post by davide3737 » Mon May 18, 2020 6:03 am

empirix wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 3:19 pm
Hi

is there an output clock on the poly 2 module, i am trying to sync and clock a circadian rhythms? In the menu under cv, there is an option to configure a cv to send clock, i get no joy though, any information appreciated, cheers
The clock out should work. Press the encoder to get to the main menu, then scroll down to 'Custom CVs', click on encoder again, scroll to the output channel (CV9-12), then click encoder and scroll to 'Clock' and click encoder. Finally select the multiplier.

empirix
Common Wiggler

Post by empirix » Mon May 18, 2020 8:01 am

davide3737 wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 6:03 am
empirix wrote:
Hi

The clock out should work. Press the encoder to get to the main menu, then scroll down to 'Custom CVs', click on encoder again, scroll to the output channel (CV9-12), then click encoder and scroll to 'Clock' and click encoder. Finally select the multiplier.
thanks for the reply, yeah thought so too, doesn't work for me, multiplier set to 4

davide3737
Common Wiggler

Post by davide3737 » Mon May 18, 2020 9:17 am

empirix wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 8:01 am
davide3737 wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 6:03 am
empirix wrote:
Hi

thanks for the reply, yeah thought so too, doesn't work for me, multiplier set to 4
Strange. Have you tried all four CV jacks? Which firmware are you using? There's an update, although I don't recall it fixing any CV out issues. Try emailing Jacek@Polyend.com. He's very helpful.

mharpum
Ultra Wiggler

Post by mharpum » Thu May 21, 2020 3:19 pm

Mine arrived today. Had a little play with sending 4 outputs to my quad operator oscillators in free mode from a digitone. All worked as expected. A nice simple poly euro synth.
I then tried to add in another hardware synth on midi channel 2. I couldn't work out how to set it up to play the notes in next mode into the euro on channel 1 and also have midi channel 2 playing a separate melody on another synth.
I'm sending digitone out to hydrasynth in, hydra thru to poly2 in.
I was only able to set it in notes mode and have it trigger all 4 oscillators at once on ch 1 and then ch 2 worked as normal.
Or it always played the modular oscillators no matter what channel I set on the digitone.

Is there a way to assign midi channel 1 to next mode and pass though midi ch 2 to another synth?

Would I need to go digitone to poly in then thru to hydra. Surely that wouldn't make a difference?

Hope this make sense.

Cheers
https://soundcloud.com/mark-harpum

https://www.instagram.com/harpum1/?hl=en

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/456680

FS/T loquelic v1, korgasmatron 2 w/ expander, zdsp w/ 4 cards, seq 1, control forge, rt60, English tear(faulty),

WTB anything WMD and Noise Engineering.

Shmadishma
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Shmadishma » Sun May 24, 2020 12:19 pm

mharpum wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 3:19 pm
Mine arrived today. Had a little play with sending 4 outputs to my quad operator oscillators in free mode from a digitone. All worked as expected. A nice simple poly euro synth.
I then tried to add in another hardware synth on midi channel 2. I couldn't work out how to set it up to play the notes in next mode into the euro on channel 1 and also have midi channel 2 playing a separate melody on another synth.
I'm sending digitone out to hydrasynth in, hydra thru to poly2 in.
I was only able to set it in notes mode and have it trigger all 4 oscillators at once on ch 1 and then ch 2 worked as normal.
Or it always played the modular oscillators no matter what channel I set on the digitone.

Is there a way to assign midi channel 1 to next mode and pass though midi ch 2 to another synth?

Would I need to go digitone to poly in then thru to hydra. Surely that wouldn't make a difference?

Hope this make sense.

Cheers
Good question. I've got the same one in fact! From what I can tell, it's only "Channel Mode" that enables the selection of specific midi channel(s). As you say, a great and straightforward to use module in general. (Though I've had some trouble getting the Clock/Stop-Start CVs to play nice with Pam's NW, as noted in a comment above). Would be great if I'm mistaken about this (in)ability to assign midi channels in different modes however -- more than happy to be corrected!

Jee
Common Wiggler

Post by Jee » Sat May 30, 2020 11:09 am

+1 for the MIDI channel in First or Next modes that shoudl obviously be available. Any instrument should have a dedicated MIDI channel and not read all channel all the time...
It's actually super bothering to have the modular trigger on other hardware synths channels.
I also had pretty much all issues mentioned in this thread (clock issue with PAM, channel freeze, delayed messages etc) and they kwere mostly solved by new OS except for the freeze that still bother me a lot !!
It's a pain as it comes back very frequently. It's solved by sending a gate to the frozen channel in my module. Panic! mode doesn't work when I get a frozen channel...
I did hesitate against FH2 and I kind of regret the purchase now, it seems FH2 has a better and more complex firmware.
I might drop them a line to figure out the frozen channel issue and the MIDI channel selection for poly modes...
If I don't get these solved soon I might just sell the module and get an FH2 instead... :despair:

Kroggel
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Kroggel » Sat May 30, 2020 11:57 am

Had one too, but send it back. Plastik jacks and extreemly woobly encoder for 350€...nohooo

Jee
Common Wiggler

Post by Jee » Sat May 30, 2020 5:14 pm

yeah the jacks are a bit crappy too and not even attached to the frontpanel but they work at least (so far...).
The encoder is fine it's quite steady on my unit.

alf1o1
Learning to Wiggle

Post by alf1o1 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:53 pm

Got a Polyend Poly2 a few days ago, mostly fantastic, but noticed this problem with the pitchbend behaviour. I did contact Polyend and got to speak with Poly2 creators and showed them this video, but they say that it like this by design.

Jee
Common Wiggler

Post by Jee » Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:37 am

I don't use pitch bend much thanks for sharing this. If this is working like this by design then the design is shit.
I really feel like polyend has done a pretty bad job with this module despite great concept.
Poor build quality, bugs all around and slow firmware bug fixes, questionable design... damn, for 350€ it's a almost a steal.

I was trying to use the module in Mono mode and make use of the 4 CV's to send them to 4 VCO's playing together which would save me the use of a multiple but it seems that in mono mode CV 2-4 remain unsued and output nothing. Which is kind of dumb too.
I guess they will say it's by design as well ? :doh:
It looked like an obvious move to me...

I got round this using the channel mode and setting the same midi channel for all outputs but well, again questionable design.

D Rock
Learning to Wiggle

Post by D Rock » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:08 am

I've heard about problems with the Poly 2 and digitakt so I'm betting those same issues plague the octatrack. I went with the FH-2 and had it all working within an hour. Took me a little longer to figure out LFOs and random outputs but with the built-in envelopes and expander the FH-2 is a no brainer. Loving mine thus far!

Jee
Common Wiggler

Post by Jee » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:43 am

I don't want to make the angry man here but this Poly2 is really making me crazy!
2 reccurring issues still not fixed by Polyend.

1/ Every single time I power it up I get instant stuck gate out from at least one channel. Any played note triggers but the channel remains ON even after note release. I need to go panic! mode to stop it, which actually doesn't stop it (sic!) but moves the stuck note to another channel... and then retriggering the stuck channel through a midi message really stops the note to be held.
So weird!

2/ Once in a while (still to often) the module has no stuck note but send out nothing. I can see the channels being triggered using the "Gate view" monitor from config menu but nothing comes out from the outputs (none of them). I need to power off / on (sometimes several times) the unit to get it to work. Bonus small issue: when leaving the Gate view mode, the module output a stuck gate again... it is solved by sending a new note on / off to the corresponding channel like I do in point 1 after doing the Panic! function but well...

So many bugs and inconsistencies with this... and no / very little firmware updates from Polyend.
I'll try to write to them but they don't look so responsive / hearing from customers neither.
It's going for sale soon, I'm fed up to fight with it. :foul:
Just need to find the unit that will fit my needs (maybe FH-2, everybody seems happy with it but I also saw the Tubbutec one that looks very interestng!)

Return to “Eurorack Modules”