MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Eurorack with Mackie mixer
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author Eurorack with Mackie mixer
Blckstage
Hi,

I'm thinking about using a Mackie 1202VLZ4 mixer in conjucntion with my eurorack.

I was wondering if other Mackie mixer users use eurorack to line level converters or just plug straight from your eurorack to te mixer.

Thanks in advance

Jazzy Gerard
blw
I don't have a vlz, but I've patched straight into several Mackie and other mixers with Euro and other modular signals with no issues.
ckwjr
I use the nw2s balanced out to reduce the Eurorack signal before sending to the 802vlz4, but I've also patched direct with ok results.
Arneb
Blckstage wrote:
Hi,

I'm thinking about using a Mackie 1202VLZ4 mixer in conjucntion with my eurorack.

I was wondering if other Mackie mixer users use eurorack to line level converters or just plug straight from your eurorack to te mixer.

Thanks in advance

Jazzy Gerard

According to the manual the VLZ4 goes down to -20dB input gain, at least as long as you're using the jack inputs. I haven't tried it, but I'd expect this to be sufficient to avoid clipping.
Blckstage
Oke thank you all for the fast replies! thumbs up
Kent
You can go back and forth between pro studio equipment and Eurorack. Some modules might require attenuation going into the mixer but this won't be required in the majority of cases.

As there are no true signal level standards in Eurorack, it is impossible to give a full-coverage blanket statement on the matter.
cptnal
I've had that mixer for about a year and a half and I have all the inputs pre-populated with these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CDL-Micro-Female-Stereo-Adapter/dp/B00H7ZE2S2  /ref=sr_1_14?keywords=mono+3.5mm+adapter&qid=1567669765&s=gateway&sr= 8-14

Pretty much becomes an extension of my rack. A few guitar effects in send 1 for reverb, and send 2 goes to the side-chain input of a compressor. Most pleasing. w00t
forestcaver
I have one - used it for 9 months. No issues. Was a bit worried about input gain but not needed attenuation. Very happy with it.
Blairio
I have been using my trusty twenty year old VLZ1402 mixer for mixing eurorack signals for 8 years now, and never a hint of a problem.

Mind you, my oscillators do not plug directly into the desk. Instead they route via VCAs and sometimes sub mixers as well, which may bring the output down a bit.

However I have never had a eurorack signal overload an input channel. It has always been possible to achieve a good signal level (with headroom) on the Mackie, using the trim pot on the channel input, and the output of the VCA or submixer.
mskala
I plug straight into a Mackie ProFXv2. No problems with levels.
ersatzplanet
I use to different Mackie mixers and plug directly into them all the time, no problems.
pixelmechanic
I've got a 1202 and an 802 *

No problems with either in terms of going in directly... but what I will note is that if I'm using my Euro alongside quieter gear (e.g. my Nord MicroModulars) then gain staging/matching can sometimes be an issue, so have sometimes attenuated my Euro ins a bit with a pad on DI boxes.

* and a 1642 when I need loads of channels and extra routing (which is rare these days)
blw
While I commented above that it will work fine, I'd feel remiss if I didn't mention that despite having used several Mackie's and despite them being very popular, the single biggest improvement I've ever experienced with my set up was when I upgraded to a higher end mixer. I didn't even perceive a limitation until I heard something better, but boy is there a difference. Mixers get spendy and tend to be a lower priority purchase, but it might be worth considering for some.
Alphaman
i have a 1402 VLZ4. why i do need a converter? i connect the Audio outputs of the modules straight to the line inputs. no issues
sduck
You don't.
tito_tunes
blw wrote:
While I commented above that it will work fine, I'd feel remiss if I didn't mention that despite having used several Mackie's and despite them being very popular, the single biggest improvement I've ever experienced with my set up was when I upgraded to a higher end mixer. I didn't even perceive a limitation until I heard something better, but boy is there a difference. Mixers get spendy and tend to be a lower priority purchase, but it might be worth considering for some.

What mixer did you upgrade to?
blw
tito_tunes wrote:
blw wrote:

What mixer did you upgrade to?

I went with SSL X-Desk, though I'm sure other brands are also great (or maybe better). Giant difference in headroom, everything through it sounds nice and crisp and can be driven really, really hot without distorting.

I really had no complaints about my Mackie and was upgrading naively thinking there might not even be an audible difference. I was definitely wrong about that, though of course Mackies are solid and start at like 1/10th the price, so there's that. hihi
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1