MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Where do you guys buy parts in bulk, particularly pots?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Where do you guys buy parts in bulk, particularly pots?
jpeterman
I'm talking about the Alpha 9mm pots with round shaft.
https://synthcube.com/cart/alpha-9mm-round-shaft-pc-mount-pots

Is there any where to buy these pots thats cheaper than the usual suspects? I.E. Synthcube, ModularAddict, Thonk

The ones on ali express are best $2/peice which is actually more than synthcube hmmm.....
ranix
Jameco has them

https://www.jameco.com/shop/keyword=Alpha-Potentiometers

Mouser too

https://www.mouser.com/Alpha-Taiwan/Passive-Components/Resistors/Varia ble-Resistors/Potentiometers/_/N-blay9?P=1z13wbb
thetwlo
ranix wrote:
Jameco has them

https://www.jameco.com/shop/keyword=Alpha-Potentiometers

Mouser too

https://www.mouser.com/Alpha-Taiwan/Passive-Components/Resistors/Varia ble-Resistors/Potentiometers/_/N-blay9?P=1z13wbb

pretty sure they do not.
where? link? seriously, i just don't get it
sduck
Here's the mouser # for the 100K linear version of the 9mm knurled shaft pot - 317-2090F-100K - not round shaft, but will work in a pinch. You can search for similars from there.
infinitemachinery
If you're buying pots in bulk, Thonk is where I'd go. They have the right styles of pots and decent bulk discount prices.
ranix
thetwlo wrote:

pretty sure they do not.
where? link? seriously, i just don't get it

ah sorry, I didn't actually check for the 9mm round pot. I just saw they carried alpha pots and said "oh they have them"
nigel
Tayda
cygmu
sduck wrote:
Here's the mouser # for the 100K linear version of the 9mm knurled shaft pot - 317-2090F-100K - not round shaft, but will work in a pinch. You can search for similars from there.

I think those are the plastic shaft type with no mounting thread on the bushing, though I will admit to being confused by the pictures in the datasheet so could definitely be wrong.

Edit: I think these are the typical pots that are supplied by Thonk, Tayda etc.
RD901F-40-15R1-B10K-00DL1

Not cheaper at Mouser. In fact, considerably more expensive!
ixtern
I ussually buy in Thonk. Once I've bought in Mouser wrong pots (or encoders, don't remember) because they have wrong description (shaft type or so) and I didn't check datasheet. Never trust in Mouser descriptions, always check datasheet.
cackland
I've been sussing out bulk purchase of pots through Song Huei, although there MOQ is 1000 dammit. Otherwise each HQ metal pot is around $0.35USD.

Was thinking of doing a larger purchase order if anyone is interested.

Otherwise I go through Thonk also.
thetwlo
I actually don't think any of these posts have linked to a source for the pots in the OP.
These have never been cheap or common/easy to find SmallBear has them but even more $$. ...more than they used to be:
http://smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/alpha-single-gang-9mm-p c-mount/
FetidEye
ebay. I had good results. 0,30 ct p/p
search for RK097N
jpeterman
FetidEye wrote:
search for RK097N

Those are 15mm and knurled (knurled is fine but 15mm not so much)
ixtern
jpeterman wrote:
FetidEye wrote:
search for RK097N

Those are 15mm and knurled (knurled is fine but 15mm not so much)

15 mm is enough for panel mount. Longer are sometimes needed when PCB mounted and densely packed (for low-diameter knobs). At least it is from my experience.
Troubleshooter
I buy my 16mm @ Musikding.de

5 1,00 €
10 0,92 €
25 0,85 €
50 0,82 €

Always great quality if you look for a slow, tight but smooth feel if you know what I mean. Not recomended for DJ-stuff you want to operate fast. Great for parameter set knobs.
AudioElectronicsAcademy
I usually but them for Prototyping at THONK:
https://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/alpha-9mm-pots-right-angle/

since they have the BEST mid-priced options (values, build-options).

After that I'll search the parts on aliexpress (look for RK097N) find a supplier
which has more values/options on stock (even if they don't have the one type I'm looking for) and write them directly and ask for a quote.

In my experience most of them will get you almost anything if a certain threshold (roughly 200USD, depending) is reached. If you're under that, they say no-sorry, we don't have / cannot / etc.

smile
devinw1
Define bulk for you. If you are willing to buy 500+ there are ways (going to the manufacturer). The one that cackland mentioned is one. In fact you can just go right to Alpha for 1000 pieces too and it will be a lot cheaper than retail.

I don't know of any manufacturers that do less than 500 MOQ though. You're kind of stuck with retail for that.
keninverse
BI Tech P09s can be purchased at around $0.60/ea in trays of 25 from TTI. They're conductive plastic and will last 10x more than alpha and have better tempcos. They have a smoother feel also but some people aren't happy with them being that they require less rotational torque to move.
ersatzplanet
cackland wrote:
I've been sussing out bulk purchase of pots through Song Huei, although there MOQ is 1000 dammit. Otherwise each HQ metal pot is around $0.35USD.

We bought our pots from Sung Huei (R1212N-b50K, L-20 F/M) and have some to spare. How many are you thinking of getting? I would have to talk to my money guy and see how much to charge for them. I'm in Seattle so shipping would be from there.
sduck
cygmu wrote:
sduck wrote:

I think those are the plastic shaft type with no mounting thread on the bushing, though I will admit to being confused by the pictures in the datasheet so could definitely be wrong.

Edit: I think these are the typical pots that are supplied by Thonk, Tayda etc.
RD901F-40-15R1-B10K-00DL1

Not cheaper at Mouser. In fact, considerably more expensive!

Yes, mouser has their images all screwed up for these parts. And yes, I think your link is the best you're going to do on mouser, but it's hard to tell, as the data sheet for those is also screwed up. FWIW I never get these from mouser, I use tayda or smallbear.
J3RK
Mouser, Thonk, Synthcube, Modular Addict, Tayda, Small Bear. I buy pots from all of these. It mainly depends on what else I need to get at the time.
jimfowler
Another vote for Small Bear. They do bulk discounts as well.
cackland
ersatzplanet wrote:
cackland wrote:

We bought our pots from Sung Huei (R1212N-b50K, L-20 F/M) and have some to spare. How many are you thinking of getting? I would have to talk to my money guy and see how much to charge for them. I'm in Seattle so shipping would be from there.

Thanks for the offer. I'm looking at the 9mm series (RK0952N & RK0952G-1). Already have samples from them so may just bite the bullet.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1