MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

MicroDexed Teensy based DX-7
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author MicroDexed Teensy based DX-7
paperCUT
https://discourse.zynthian.org/t/microdexed-dx7-to-go/1989

With the new teensy coming out this could be a really nice module, anyone investigated the project?
mxmxmx
paperCUT wrote:
https://discourse.zynthian.org/t/microdexed-dx7-to-go/1989

With the new teensy coming out this could be a really nice module, anyone investigated the project?

i did, briefly (see here). that was just using a suitable T3.6 + PCM1502a contraption that i had laying around; sounded promising (bit nicer than, say, preemFM 2, but maybe i was making that up). i basically just dropped in bits of the engine though, the tedious part ("UI") i didn't feel like doing. i sometimes use it as a user-unfriendly FM thingie...
DMR
Would the DX7 / Dexed really make a great module though? A polyphonic synth with a large number of parameters doesn't seem like it fits well with the modular paradigm, to me.
Kroaton
Dexed's desktop VST interface is about as good as it gets for this sort of thing and it is free. I wouldn't bother running this on an embedded board just to have to somehow control 140+ non-intuitive cross-modulating parameters which affect the sound in mostly unexpected ways.
mxmxmx
DMR wrote:
Would the DX7 / Dexed really make a great module though? A polyphonic synth with a large number of parameters doesn't seem like it fits well with the modular paradigm, to me.

don't know. the greatness of the module, i suspect, would largely depend on 1) personal preference, and 2) the specifics of the implementation. the main potential attraction as far as can see is that one could conceivably CV the thing ("the modular paradigm"?) at decent sample rates, unlike, say, some OPL3-based module, or VST; whether that will result in a lot of sweet spots, or a nice UI, is probably a different question; but then eurorack shouldn't exist if that were somehow very serious criteria ... at the very least it'd probably afford (as they say) different kinds of usage, ie vis-à-vis running your favourite FM soft synth through an ES-8 or the like.
ranix
modular CV wouldn't help a DX-style synth, but a good interface with dedicated knobs for things like envelope parameters would. When you've got 6 envelopes with 8 parameters each (a,d,s,r with rate and level) setting up your envelopes is very frustrating. Even Dexed doesn't make it smooth imho, that's too much mouse clicking and takes way too long. The Jellinghaus and Dtronics programmers help but it sucks that the knobs don't adopt the correct position when you switch patches.
consumer
I was just looking in on this forum specifically because I was thinking of a DX-style FM synthesizer... Imagining that one could develop an interface that chained operators... I had been playing with my PreenFM2's and imagining an interface that was more fun. (No slight intended to the wonderful PreenFM2).

First, let's assume that 1 single module can be 1 single operator. Should one want an eight operator synth, one must build eight modules.

I think in the modular realm, what we would want would be control to limit to range of modulation of each input. We typically do this by CV attenuators, and in this case let's imagine that we have dual operation; e.g. no input provides a 0 - 5v range (assuming that's the comfortable range of the chip), but with an input it's range is limited by the knob position. Sounds modular, right?

Theoretically with eight potentiometers and ten inputs this could be built into 8hp. 6hp is possible, but that would suck even more. But let's say 8HP per operator. That would be 64hp for an 8-op synth.

Doesn't sound bad to me, compared to other 8-op synths around... Those that I own that don't have CV input, nor immediate envelope controls.

I came here to re-read the FMOgre thread, so maybe I'm re-writing an already honed wheel.
ranix
consumer wrote:

First, let's assume that 1 single module can be 1 single operator. Should one want an eight operator synth, one must build eight modules.

If using a module like the Happy Nerding FM Aid, which takes an input sawtooth and produces an output waveform (sine, triangle, saw, square, your choice) which can be frequency modulated, you only need one FM Aid per operator you want to have modulated. So, you don't need to use an FM Aid operator to modulate another FM Aid operator if you just want to modulate it with a sine wave that's not itself being frequency modulated. You can just use a normal oscillator.

Often you'll want to modulate multiple operators with modulators of the same frequency, and in that case you can just use one oscillator to generate that frequency and mult it to several destinations.

The difficulty in complex FM in modular is dealing with frequency drift and the chaos that happens when your modulators don't have perfect (1:2, 3:2, 5:4 etc.) frequency relationships to the carrier. With just one modulator you have a lot of leeway but when you start stacking modulators in complex ways the desync causes chaos that sounds displeasing.

So I don't know how much value one would get from having CV control over the operators themselves. CV control over the envelopes would be awesome.

I don't know how I would handle polyphony in such a module, I think that would get confusing really fast.

consumer wrote:

I came here to re-read the FMOgre thread, so maybe I'm re-writing an already honed wheel.

I don't think that's likely, there's a lot of unexplored territory here.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1