MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

AUDIO DISCOVERY - Entry level Audio Development Board
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author AUDIO DISCOVERY - Entry level Audio Development Board
AudioElectronicsAcademy
Hey folks!

I’m currently working on an extension for the awesome Analog Discovery 2 (AD2) measurement system.
It’s a small footprint (letter/DIN A4 size) development lab specialized for analog audio prototyping.

After 15 yrs in electronics engineering (aviation, audio) I decided to pursue my dream of teaching audio electronics for beginners and experienced DIY folks. This extension is my first step into this direction. Originally, I designed it to streamline my design-flow but after some iterations and a lot of discussions I decided to turn it into a real product. It will be available on Kickstarter this winter with a target price of around 250-300USD. It comes with a mean-well power adapter, bare-PCB mounted on an aluminum base and a front plate for the controls. The breadboard section is detachable and the breadboards can be replaced with standard ones if worn out. All electro-mechanicals are quality components (ALPS, NEUTRIK, CUI and switches with gold contacts).

Basically, I’m reaching out for your feedback/input/criticism/opinion: everything is really appreciated—so hit me! smile

What you can do with it:
-Rapid prototyping of analog or (basic)digital circuits
-It shines while developing
-Audio Circuits (All standard audio connectors available)
-Eurorack (3.5 TS connectivity)
-Generating CV parametric plots (Bode, THD+N, etc.)
-In conjunction with simulation (Measurement and simulation results on the same display)
-In a space limited environment (e.g. you don’t have the space for an own permanent lab)
-Characterize your existing audio gear
-THD+N
-Bode/Transferfunctions
-Input impedance

And all measurement functions are easily automated with the scripting functionality of the AD2.

Feature set:
In addition to the standard “Analog Discovery 2” functionality:
-Bipolar PSU
-Adjustable from +/-5V to +/- 15V
-Current limit 10..200mA (continuous short circuit protected)
-AC modulation input for PSRR measurements
-Overcurrent LED indicators for each rail
-Outputs switchable
-IN- and OUTput gain staging for optimum THD+N measurements at different signal levels
-Overload indicators PRE and POST D.U.T.
-Input and Output protections
-AC/DC coupling for Oscilloscope probe inputs (switchable)
-Headphone driver for D.U.T. output monitoring
-Gain scaler and level control for auxiliary generator (allows for +/- 10Vp drive level)
-Mode selector for AD2 oscilloscope inputs: choose between Inputs to system or Inputs to BNC (for classic oscilloscope probing)
-Dual detachable breadboard with Dual PSU, GND and AD2 PSU outputs (0…+/-5V adjustable) routed to the supply rails of the breadboard

Connectivity:
-XLR I/O with low noise sym/desym stages, line level
-6.3 Mono TS I/O
-RCA Mono I/O
-3.5 Mono TS I/O
-2x BNC Out (GEN1/GEN2)
-2x BNC In (CH1/CH2)
-2x Eurorack 16pin Power header (choose between powering breadboard or Eurorack Modules)
-Aux Generator to socket and 3.5 Mono TS
-4mm Banana GND Jack

Thanks, and thanks again smile It's peanut butter jelly time!

Greets from Vienna, Austria
Sebastian

birdkid
Just thought I'll add my 2 rubels
Sebastian is not just THE man, he is OUR man of choice when it comes to analog development of any kind. Seb is the lead developer at birdkids and the Engineer behind such modules as Power / MIDI, RAVEN and much more..

The intro above is way to modest. thumbs up This is a beast of epic proportions.
The little announcement here is just the tip of the iceberg.... imagine if you could squeeze 15 years of experience in one amazing DevBoard. Y'all in for such a treat - this is a gamechanger Rockin' Banana!
Emmanuel G.
mp sent with a few questions

this looks amazing tho smile
game changer
djthopa
Congrats on your proto.

Im interested too smile
AudioElectronicsAcademy
Emmanuel G. wrote:
mp sent with a few questions

this looks amazing tho smile
game changer

thanks emmanuel! This is fun!
I sent you a PM!
AudioElectronicsAcademy
birdkid wrote:
Just thought I'll add my 2 rubels
Sebastian is not just THE man, he is OUR man of choice when it comes to analog development of any kind. Seb is the lead developer at birdkids and the Engineer behind such modules as Power / MIDI, RAVEN and much more..

The intro above is way to modest. thumbs up This is a beast of epic proportions.
The little announcement here is just the tip of the iceberg.... imagine if you could squeeze 15 years of experience in one amazing DevBoard. Y'all in for such a treat - this is a gamechanger Rockin' Banana!

huh! thanks for all the probs ! we're not worthy mike hihi
always a pleasure working with u Miley Cyrus
AudioElectronicsAcademy
djthopa wrote:
Congrats on your proto.

Im interested too smile

thanks djthopa This is fun!
I'll post updates here.. and it will go down kind a quickly the next months It's peanut butter jelly time!

Any thoughts on it?
r1n9o
Brilliant! This is somehow the answer to every dev-board fantasy I’ve ever had. Looking forward to more details. (And maybe renderings?)
BugBrand
This looks interesting - I'd not come across the AD2, but tend not to really like things with those tails of wires, so this integration approach is certainly of interest.
AudioElectronicsAcademy
r1n9o wrote:
Brilliant! This is somehow the answer to every dev-board fantasy I’ve ever had. Looking forward to more details. (And maybe renderings?)

I have to say, that’s a really nice thing to hear smile I was definitely going for that.. thank you This is fun!

I aim to finish the prototype at the end of this month, if murphy allows.
Regarding Rederings: Usually I do them as well, but in this case I focus
My time on getting the prototype on the ground for the campaign.

I’ll post photos of the build progress if you’re interested smile
Cheers!
AudioElectronicsAcademy
BugBrand wrote:
This looks interesting - I'd not come across the AD2, but tend not to really like things with those tails of wires, so this integration approach is certainly of interest.

Thanks & I totally agree: I built a lot of different break-out boards for the AD2 since the supplied wire-mess does not satisfy my expectation in reliable interconnections.

Breadboard connections can sometimes be a little wiggely to (depending on ones skills and used materials). For having a option to prototype your circuits on a PCB and also adress the “non-permanency” issue with breadboarding I will supply ProtoPCBs with the System that are equipped with some standard footprints and solder islands.. classic stuff... They can be inserted into the breadboard where they will draw the power from. So basically you can whack them in, solder and build your circuit on it, debugg it, measure and characterize it... and when you’re finished you detach it from the breadboard and store it for future usages.
One typical usage would be: Building support circuits/modules for your work (like VCAs, lin-log converters, VCFs) on small ProtoPCBs and use them later to assist buidling a more complex circuit... I’m shure you get the idea.. it’s a convenience thing.

Huh, that got long hmmm.....

The AD2, even it does not exactly look like it, is a extremely powerful and versatile measurement system. Just the scripting/automation functionality is a real gamechanger.. but I’ll provide practical presentations soon as I finished the prototpe. Expect them mid october smile

Cheers!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1