AUDIO DISCOVERY - Entry level Audio Development Board

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: luketeaford, lisa, Kent, Joe.

AudioElectronicsAcademy
Learning to Wiggle

AUDIO DISCOVERY - Entry level Audio Development Board

Post by AudioElectronicsAcademy » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:41 am

Hey folks!

I’m currently working on an extension for the awesome Analog Discovery 2 (AD2) measurement system.
It’s a small footprint (letter/DIN A4 size) development lab specialized for analog audio prototyping.

After 15 yrs in electronics engineering (aviation, audio) I decided to pursue my dream of teaching audio electronics for beginners and experienced DIY folks. This extension is my first step into this direction. Originally, I designed it to streamline my design-flow but after some iterations and a lot of discussions I decided to turn it into a real product. It will be available on Kickstarter this winter with a target price of around 250-300USD. It comes with a mean-well power adapter, bare-PCB mounted on an aluminum base and a front plate for the controls. The breadboard section is detachable and the breadboards can be replaced with standard ones if worn out. All electro-mechanicals are quality components (ALPS, NEUTRIK, CUI and switches with gold contacts).

Basically, I’m reaching out for your feedback/input/criticism/opinion: everything is really appreciated—so hit me! :)

What you can do with it:
-Rapid prototyping of analog or (basic)digital circuits
-It shines while developing
-Audio Circuits (All standard audio connectors available)
-Eurorack (3.5 TS connectivity)
-Generating CV parametric plots (Bode, THD+N, etc.)
-In conjunction with simulation (Measurement and simulation results on the same display)
-In a space limited environment (e.g. you don’t have the space for an own permanent lab)
-Characterize your existing audio gear
-THD+N
-Bode/Transferfunctions
-Input impedance

And all measurement functions are easily automated with the scripting functionality of the AD2.

Feature set:
In addition to the standard “Analog Discovery 2” functionality:
-Bipolar PSU
-Adjustable from +/-5V to +/- 15V
-Current limit 10..200mA (continuous short circuit protected)
-AC modulation input for PSRR measurements
-Overcurrent LED indicators for each rail
-Outputs switchable
-IN- and OUTput gain staging for optimum THD+N measurements at different signal levels
-Overload indicators PRE and POST D.U.T.
-Input and Output protections
-AC/DC coupling for Oscilloscope probe inputs (switchable)
-Headphone driver for D.U.T. output monitoring
-Gain scaler and level control for auxiliary generator (allows for +/- 10Vp drive level)
-Mode selector for AD2 oscilloscope inputs: choose between Inputs to system or Inputs to BNC (for classic oscilloscope probing)
-Dual detachable breadboard with Dual PSU, GND and AD2 PSU outputs (0…+/-5V adjustable) routed to the supply rails of the breadboard

Connectivity:
-XLR I/O with low noise sym/desym stages, line level
-6.3 Mono TS I/O
-RCA Mono I/O
-3.5 Mono TS I/O
-2x BNC Out (GEN1/GEN2)
-2x BNC In (CH1/CH2)
-2x Eurorack 16pin Power header (choose between powering breadboard or Eurorack Modules)
-Aux Generator to socket and 3.5 Mono TS
-4mm Banana GND Jack

Thanks, and thanks again :) :banana:

Greets from Vienna, Austria
Sebastian

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by AudioElectronicsAcademy on Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:45 am, edited 4 times in total.

birdkid
Common Wiggler

Post by birdkid » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:40 am

Just thought I'll add my 2 rubels
Sebastian is not just THE man, he is OUR man of choice when it comes to analog development of any kind. Seb is the lead developer at birdkids and the Engineer behind such modules as Power / MIDI, RAVEN and much more..

The intro above is way to modest. :tu: This is a beast of epic proportions.
The little announcement here is just the tip of the iceberg.... imagine if you could squeeze 15 years of experience in one amazing DevBoard. Y'all in for such a treat - this is a gamechanger :bananaguitar:

Emmanuel G.
Common Wiggler

Post by Emmanuel G. » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:27 am

mp sent with a few questions

this looks amazing tho :)
game changer

djthopa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by djthopa » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:01 am

Congrats on your proto.

Im interested too :)

AudioElectronicsAcademy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by AudioElectronicsAcademy » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:20 am

Emmanuel G. wrote:mp sent with a few questions

this looks amazing tho :)
game changer
thanks emmanuel! :cloud:
I sent you a PM!

AudioElectronicsAcademy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by AudioElectronicsAcademy » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:22 am

birdkid wrote:Just thought I'll add my 2 rubels
Sebastian is not just THE man, he is OUR man of choice when it comes to analog development of any kind. Seb is the lead developer at birdkids and the Engineer behind such modules as Power / MIDI, RAVEN and much more..

The intro above is way to modest. :tu: This is a beast of epic proportions.
The little announcement here is just the tip of the iceberg.... imagine if you could squeeze 15 years of experience in one amazing DevBoard. Y'all in for such a treat - this is a gamechanger :bananaguitar:
huh! thanks for all the probs ! :hail: mike :hihi:
always a pleasure working with u :miley:

AudioElectronicsAcademy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by AudioElectronicsAcademy » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:24 am

djthopa wrote:Congrats on your proto.

Im interested too :)
thanks djthopa :cloud:
I'll post updates here.. and it will go down kind a quickly the next months :banana:

Any thoughts on it?

r1n9o
Wiggling with Experience

Post by r1n9o » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:23 am

Brilliant! This is somehow the answer to every dev-board fantasy I’ve ever had. Looking forward to more details. (And maybe renderings?)
"I don't really regard it as a song, I kinda regard it as a machine to make people dance."

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:30 am

This looks interesting - I'd not come across the AD2, but tend not to really like things with those tails of wires, so this integration approach is certainly of interest.

AudioElectronicsAcademy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by AudioElectronicsAcademy » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:36 am

r1n9o wrote:Brilliant! This is somehow the answer to every dev-board fantasy I’ve ever had. Looking forward to more details. (And maybe renderings?)
I have to say, that’s a really nice thing to hear :) I was definitely going for that.. thank you :cloud:

I aim to finish the prototype at the end of this month, if murphy allows.
Regarding Rederings: Usually I do them as well, but in this case I focus
My time on getting the prototype on the ground for the campaign.

I’ll post photos of the build progress if you’re interested :)
Cheers!

AudioElectronicsAcademy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by AudioElectronicsAcademy » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:13 am

BugBrand wrote:This looks interesting - I'd not come across the AD2, but tend not to really like things with those tails of wires, so this integration approach is certainly of interest.
Thanks & I totally agree: I built a lot of different break-out boards for the AD2 since the supplied wire-mess does not satisfy my expectation in reliable interconnections.

Breadboard connections can sometimes be a little wiggely to (depending on ones skills and used materials). For having a option to prototype your circuits on a PCB and also adress the “non-permanency” issue with breadboarding I will supply ProtoPCBs with the System that are equipped with some standard footprints and solder islands.. classic stuff... They can be inserted into the breadboard where they will draw the power from. So basically you can whack them in, solder and build your circuit on it, debugg it, measure and characterize it... and when you’re finished you detach it from the breadboard and store it for future usages.
One typical usage would be: Building support circuits/modules for your work (like VCAs, lin-log converters, VCFs) on small ProtoPCBs and use them later to assist buidling a more complex circuit... I’m shure you get the idea.. it’s a convenience thing.

Huh, that got long :hmm:

The AD2, even it does not exactly look like it, is a extremely powerful and versatile measurement system. Just the scripting/automation functionality is a real gamechanger.. but I’ll provide practical presentations soon as I finished the prototpe. Expect them mid october :)

Cheers!

AudioElectronicsAcademy
Learning to Wiggle

Tataaa!

Post by AudioElectronicsAcademy » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:02 am

Hey folks!
It took me some time, but here's the first preview of the board :banana:
For a "real" rendering there's still a lot of work to do, but I'm shure you'll get an idea :roll:
The PCB manufacturer was busy with... life, I guess... and after 3 weeks of delay it seems that the boards will arrive in some days! Yesss! - can't wait :yay:

Boris_Yeltsin
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Boris_Yeltsin » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:13 am

Awesome, really can't wait to see how this turns out :mrgreen:

b9
Common Wiggler

Post by b9 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:41 pm

I concur. Take my money, please.

Phitar
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Phitar » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:20 pm

I too am interested in this one... Watching for sure!
At the Enrichment Center we promise never to value your safety above your unique ideas and creativity. - Portal

Never bring a spork to a gunfight. - Guns Akimbo

AudioElectronicsAcademy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by AudioElectronicsAcademy » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:01 am

Thanks guys !! All my energy goes into that one: to raise the awesomeness as much as possible :eek:
I'll keep you updated :mrgreen:

AudioElectronicsAcademy
Learning to Wiggle

Main PCB arrived :)

Post by AudioElectronicsAcademy » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:21 am

Tataaa :banana:
The main PCBs arrived today & they're looking awesome:

AudioElectronicsAcademy
Learning to Wiggle

Prototype ready

Post by AudioElectronicsAcademy » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:17 am

Hey hey!
Just in time I've finished the prototype & here are some pics :) I'm off to BKK for 3Months :banana: but I'll keep you in the loop. Until then: have a wonderful time & I hope you're all doing well!
Cheers!
Sebastian

Boris_Yeltsin
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Boris_Yeltsin » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:57 pm

Wow, it looks incredible for a prototype, great job :mrgreen: The glamour shots are great too, I really want one now haha

Phitar
Veteran Wiggler

Re: AUDIO DISCOVERY - Entry level Audio Development Board

Post by Phitar » Sat May 23, 2020 10:26 pm

Have there been any new developments on this project?
At the Enrichment Center we promise never to value your safety above your unique ideas and creativity. - Portal

Never bring a spork to a gunfight. - Guns Akimbo

AudioElectronicsAcademy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by AudioElectronicsAcademy » Wed May 27, 2020 3:53 am

Hey Phitar!

The short answer: The Project is currently on hold and will be picked up again at the end of the year
Reason being: With the project I was aiming to provide a affordable entry level design environment for modular electronics design to support my teaching videos. But after a lot of lengthy conversations I realized that I need to provide a "lite" version of it with only base functionality and a entry-level friendly price. Barebone bang for buck :tu:
I'm currently in the midst of a different design and will pick up the "Audio Discovery Lite" somewhere at the start of july.
I'll open a new topic for the new design and if you're interested I can kick you a pm note when I'll start!

cheers

numan7
the most autistic amongst us

Post by numan7 » Wed May 27, 2020 4:49 am

well this is on my radar screen now...

cheers
"the ordinary will ignore whatever they cannot explain as if nothing ever happened. and everything remains the same again..."

wuff_miggler
Ultra Wiggler

Post by wuff_miggler » Wed May 27, 2020 4:52 am

This is really really cool :)

Return to “Music Tech DIY”