MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Buchla Easel Command Module 208C
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Buchla Easel Command Module 208C
What do you guys think?

I'm thinking this could be really cool for 200e users.
slam
I like it. Has some useful new features.
lumin
Looks great. Diggin the new additional features. The stereo function is something to be excited about. Price is proper as well.
ritchiedrums
If tuning is now stable on both oscillators
I will own one ASAP
ryangaston
An easel where you can cross-modulate the oscillators? Yep, this is cool.

Seems like a lot of smart decisions overall, and clever ways of tapping into functionality previously only accessible via the card slot. Given the projected price and all these options, seems like one of the most interesting ways to get a 208.

Great work Buchla USA!
blipson
I'm confused: what's the difference between the mentioned:

"Buchla Easel Command Module includes MIDI (USB & DIN) and enclosure. Target price $2,999 USD.

Buchla 208C (MIDI optional). Target price $2,599 USD."

Are these two separate boxes? The same box with user-installable add-ons? Or what?
njdoyle
The new features look handy for sure. I feel a bit weird about some of the layout though.

Having the new envelope CV inputs be positioned where they are messes with my mental model a bit. On previous models, CV inputs are in the centre surrounded by CV outputs. Now that I/O convention is broken and it makes me feel a bit uncomfortable. That being said, I don't really have any better idea where they could meaningfully go without overhauling the whole panel, which you wouldn't want to do anyways.

I'm a little confused what the new jack is to the right of the three keyboard inputs. Is it 1.2V/oct mod osc CV input? I didn't ever feel like tuning the mod osc on previous models was lacking but I obviously haven't seen what this can offer yet smile

Also, the green mod osc is throwing me off even though I'm convinced it will be an improvement after I get used to seeing it.

It looks like the pulser has new functionality? The switch labels look completely different.

Looking forward to getting the deeper details around things like the new effects options and how this new preset functionality might work.
trick
blipson wrote:
Are these two separate boxes? The same box with user-installable add-ons? Or what?

The 208C, by itself, is a module that you would put into your Buchla modular

The Easel Command Module is standalone - effectively the 208C with a powered boat/enclosure and comes with MIDI.
blipson
Oh, right, I see now, thanks.
Orwell
Great price point, nice improvements, well done the new buchla team.

Wonder what the USB midi capabilities are???

Are the 200e modules are getting updates as well?
Knarzwaltz
Next step in killing the Buchla spirit thumbs up
papz
Green washing ? Mr. Green
MechaSeb
Looks like Joel is putting Buchla back to the right track.
Great official investment !

Wondering about retro-compatibility with 200e preset manager.
Guess no but does the blue knob means those can be saved as part of preset ?
trick
MechaSeb wrote:
Wondering about retro-compatibility with 200e preset manager.
Guess no but does the blue knob means those can be saved as part of preset ?

My understanding is that it can respond to the I2C bus - with the optional preset management.
ws9848
Looks pretty nice! I like the idea of it working with the preset manager. I’m guessing it will just be a built in iprogram card type of thing that works with the preset manager.
Knarzwaltz wrote:

If they quit offering the regular 208, I could at least be persuaded to consider this perspective.

I feel like Don Buchla's spirit was about innovation and the creation of awesome, one of a kind products. BUSA was smart in letting Joel introduce this product, whom better to do so.

What exactly is it that you find to be killing the spirit? Is it the green? lol
What would BUSA have to do in order to keep the spirit alive?
ws9848
01235813 wrote:
Knarzwaltz wrote:

If they quit offering the regular 208, I could at least be persuaded to consider this perspective.

I feel like Don Buchla's spirit was about innovation and the creation of awesome, one of a kind products. BUSA was smart in letting Joel introduce this product, whom better to do so.

What exactly is it that you find to be killing the spirit? Is it the green? lol
What would BUSA have to do in order to keep the spirit alive?

Yes... how does this kill the buchla spirit?
ArguZ
The only thing killing the Buchla spirit is constant negativity...
ritchiedrums
I hope someone IN THE KNOW is lurking here!

At the end of the video the sequencer appears to be producing Random steps:
5.... 3.... 5... 4.....
How is this happening with no card???
rolsteins
lumin wrote:
Price is proper as well.

Is it?
It looks like 1/3 price drop for Easel...
Not good message for those who spent 5k$ or more purchasing older versions.
bcomnes
Does this mean the end of the current iProgram card?
deltaphoenix
bcomnes wrote:

Has it been working on more current versions of iOS?
bcomnes wrote:

Not sure, I wonder how the preset is going to be implemented. As of now the iprogram card can only save the presets that are patched from within the app. It cannot save the settings that are configured on the front panel. Using the app has a different feel than actual patching and translating the app to the front panel or vice versa is not as straight forward (to me at least) as it seems.

If the preset could save what is patched on the front panel, that would be awesome!
trick
ritchiedrums wrote:
At the end of the video the sequencer appears to be producing Random steps:
5.... 3.... 5... 4.....
How is this happening with no card???

The cv input next to pitch is labeled: 'm.o. freq or seq s.' and he mentioned they were adding functionality to replace some of stuff to be less reliant on the card.
blipson
ArguZ wrote:
The only thing killing the Buchla spirit is constant negativity...

I cure trolling with the ignore button--highly recommended.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2