MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

NEW KICK / BASS Drum from WMD, CRATER
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author NEW KICK / BASS Drum from WMD, CRATER
NastyNachos
Hey Y'all, starting up a thread for Crater, our newest addition to our drum modules.

It's analog at heart, with an analog oscillator with pitch envelope, a nice, long decay circuit, and 1V/Oct tracking.  "Sustain" stage allows you to sequence with different gate lengths for longer kick sounds while keeping your decay constant.  3 Clipping modes, and Saturation CV give you the control you need to dial in the perfect amount of analog grit.

The Attack section is digital and gives you different timbres to layer on top of the analog bass section, letting you dial in those polished, layered kick drum sounds.

Here's a quick run through video!

Check out the product page here: https://wmdevices.com/collections/eurorack-modules/products/crater
BLX
Mmm nice. Kick 2 Plugin in eurorack....
Sanys
BLD-2 killer at half the price? applause
windspirit
I quite like the digital click feature, its similar to on my tanzmaus but with cv control. Curious if the circuitry is inspired by a "classic" drum machine or meant to be completely on its own?
Bigwerm
This looks great, will it be available with a silver panel?
Tonescape
Wow, Crater sounds really really good. One of the best kick modules I've heard.

Metron looks like a beast. Quite clever how you implemented CV with the Voltera addon modules.

How many Volteras can you connect to Metron?
RecycleYourPets
Tonescape wrote:

Metron looks like a beast. Quite clever how you implemented CV with the Voltera addon modules.

At the beginning of the video he mentions you can add up to 16 voltera's to one metron w00t
matttech
Crater sounds excellent from that video w00t
Glitchmachines
Getting Miami Bass vibes and loving it SlayerBadger!
kingcons
I would definitely pay extra for a silver panel if that's what it takes. Need to match my camera and fracture!
Jlevine711
when are these two going to be available? Great names for both!
Krater
Crater, yeah - I like this name Mr. Green
behndy
silver - nope. think WMD is rolling All Black, All The Time from now on. their loot DOES look sexy in the black etched panels.

and DAYUM that Crater sounds GOOD.
VM
Just out of interest, why does it need V/Oct? For something typically steady with no clear tonal centre like a kick, seems unnecessary?

behndy wrote:
silver - nope. think WMD is rolling All Black, All The Time from now on. their loot DOES look sexy in the black etched panels.

Would kill for a black panel for the performance mixer...
Bigwerm
behndy wrote:

That’s too bad, are their black panels still aluminum at least? I wish this all black panel madness would end.
morgulbee
VM wrote:
Just out of interest, why does it need V/Oct? For something typically steady with no clear tonal centre like a kick, seems unnecessary?
He demonstrates V/Oct from about 9:45 to 11:10 in the video.

I like all the flexibility Crater brings to the game. Seems really well thought out.
MARK27
Bigwerm wrote:
I wish this all black panel madness would end.

I have been a black panel fiend since I first came to eurorack, but I have considered doing a white case or a gray one. What if we want all our modules to match our piss yellow Metasonix modules? Why not?

For myself, I was happy when WMD switched to all black panels. However, in the greater sense, I was bummed that they still weren't offering any choice. I wish more manufacturers offered choice, and in as many ways as possible. The "modular" paradigm shouldn't apply to only the module circuit, modular should apply to UI, visual aesthetics, jacks up vs. jacks down, etc...

The more choice that manufacturers can give us, the more modular these devices truly are...
Carrousel
VM wrote:

behndy wrote:

Would kill for a black panel for the performance mixer...

Because pitched kick drum bass lines are sick
Tonescape
RecycleYourPets wrote:
Tonescape wrote:

At the beginning of the video he mentions you can add up to 16 voltera's to one metron w00t

Arh, thanks, missed it. But, wow, 16 Volteras. That's a lot of CV SlayerBadger!
maltemark
Bring the silver panels, man
yeatsvisitslincoln
Bigwerm wrote:
behndy wrote:

That’s too bad, are their black panels still aluminum at least? I wish this all black panel madness would end.

Black panels are anodized aluminum with the anodized black aluminum milled off by a cnc machine to show the silver underneath. They look amazing and you can see some light reflect back off the labels which is super helpful in low light. If every manufacturer could do this, it would be fucking incredible. A full black WMD system is going to look so sharp.
Multi Grooves
Bigwerm wrote:
behndy wrote:

This.
Zymos
I wish people even caring about what color the panels are would end, but I accept that I'm not going to get my wish.
Buyakasoundman
Everyone has their own taste. Nuff said...
But, as an early poopooer of the black panels, I believe “cheap DIY, and not in a good way” was my reaction to photos of the Crucible, I have since seen the light, literally.
What ever your stance on color way, these new black machined panels are the easiest to read out of my rack. The panel markings simply POP against the black background. In a dimly lit studio, the silver etched graphics reflect any ambient light and makes them more legible than say; white on black or black on white screen printing.
MindMachine
maltemark wrote:
Bring the silver panels, man

Same with the Crucible for crying out loud.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2