Modal Argon8

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

Xmit
Veteran Wiggler

Modal Argon8

Post by Xmit » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:05 am

in prototype mode...

Argon8

looks very promising - the baby toy synths never appealed, have never really
been able to justify the ££ for something like an 002. This seems to hit a place in -between....

will be keeping an eye on this

Xmit
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Xmit » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:23 am

also props for getting a young Michael Fassbender to do the Sonic State presentation...

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:12 am

I loved my 001 sound, it was very musical, but boy was the animator a pita and a buzz kill. But at this price, a complete no brainier , I just love the Modal sound.

Good to see it is well built too, looks like a modern synth should. Oled check, minimal looking , check.

I vaguely remember the model prices not having tax added ?

Seems I’m right, so we are talking £700 here
We don't want to conquer space at all. We want to expand Earth endlessly. We don't want other worlds; we want a mirror.

Spectromat
Common Wiggler

Post by Spectromat » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:49 am

I like the sound of this one, and £579
[video][/video]
Last edited by Spectromat on Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Josef_K
Common Wiggler

Post by Josef_K » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:50 am

Looks very interesting, and since getting an Intellijel Planar module I am hooked on the joystick theme, hardly ever use pitch wheels anyway so this is a most welcome addition! Also the sound appeals more to me than the Hydrasynth, but that could be the demos talking. Only 37 keys is a letdown for sure though. Not sure if it's going to be worth setting me back a few months towards the Moog One, but I'll be sure to keep an eye on this :)

Jason Brock
just visiting

Post by Jason Brock » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:43 pm

Fantastic price point, wow. This looks great.

tIB
Stainer!

Post by tIB » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:23 pm

Any idea if MPE is to be included?

GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:43 pm

h4ndcrafted wrote:I loved my 001 sound, it was very musical, but boy was the animator a pita and a buzz kill. But at this price, a complete no brainier , I just love the Modal sound.

Good to see it is well built too, looks like a modern synth should. Oled check, minimal looking , check.

Why was the animator a buzz kill? Just wondering because that’s been one of the more attractive features on Modal stuff—at least on paper.

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:40 pm

somebody say it: "hydrasynth killer!" :hihi:

Dragonaut
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Dragonaut » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:19 pm

Any surprise that this is named after a gas? Or should I say GAS??
https://soundcloud.com/acaciabridge (IDM, Ambient, Bass, Downtempo)
www.instagram.com/dr_science_phd (synths, hikes, and views.)

suboptimal
A Towering Mediocrity

Post by suboptimal » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:02 pm

This looks dope. But I don't need another synth, right there below the Minilogue, say. I mean, I could just move those books and things. And sell something to buy . . . no . . . NOOOOOOO. Etc.

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:32 am

GuyaGuy wrote:
h4ndcrafted wrote:I loved my 001 sound, it was very musical, but boy was the animator a pita and a buzz kill. But at this price, a complete no brainier , I just love the Modal sound.

Why was the animator a buzz kill? Just wondering because that’s been one of the more attractive features on Modal stuff—at least on paper.
Felt like I might as well be using software, that was the main problem for me, with its limited ‘on hand’ modulation, it was down to the animator to do anything complex, which was laborious and much better done using the software editor.

Other stuff at the time was it wasn’t far into the firmware, midi sync was terrible, no backup options ready , software editor not finished...this was a year in.
Sounded brilliant though, if the firmware is good , it’s a killer synth by now.
We don't want to conquer space at all. We want to expand Earth endlessly. We don't want other worlds; we want a mirror.

GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:46 pm

h4ndcrafted wrote:
GuyaGuy wrote:

Felt like I might as well be using software, that was the main problem for me, with its limited ‘on hand’ modulation, it was down to the animator to do anything complex, which was laborious and much better done using the software editor.

Other stuff at the time was it wasn’t far into the firmware, midi sync was terrible, no backup options ready , software editor not finished...this was a year in.
Disappointing. Seems like it has such potential. Hopefully the Argon improves on that.

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:16 am

I got a full demo of this today and was really impressed. Especially the performance side of things, there's a programmable arp and a sequencer that can record knob twists as well as (or instead of) notes (and chords). It isn't 100% finished yet, there was only 1 filter type. They say they hope to ship in November.

cnicht
Veteran Wiggler

Post by cnicht » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:27 am

A non-keyboard version would be great too and keep the joystick! :banana:

missingtwin
Veteran Wiggler

Post by missingtwin » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:01 am

Looking forward to a rack mount/tabletop MPE
version of this synth.
Would be an instant purchase for me.

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:47 am

Dope! Sequencer and arpeggiator onboard ! This could be the noodle machine I've been wanting...

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:02 am

GuyaGuy wrote:
h4ndcrafted wrote:
GuyaGuy wrote:

Disappointing. Seems like it has such potential. Hopefully the Argon improves on that.
Well it’s not all bad, the argon has motion record and then you can edit it in the app if you want.

At the cheaper price it’s a no brainier for me, that’s how much I like modals sound engine.

I’m tempted by the hydrasynth , but Modal outshines itin sound from the demos I’ve heard so far, which doesn’t say much I know! We shall see.

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:20 am

Zymos wrote:I got a full demo of this today and was really impressed. Especially the performance side of things, there's a programmable arp and a sequencer that can record knob twists as well as (or instead of) notes (and chords). It isn't 100% finished yet, there was only 1 filter type. They say they hope to ship in November.
That’s great. Can I ask how you felt about the scaling of the encoders? My 001s were fine, but they did feel like they were offset and a bit prone to being changed easily , I just never felt comfortable with them like I do, say, on my OB6.

Did have that strange stereo reverby vibe that the 00x’s have dry? I know it’s more akin to skulpt, but I’m assuming that’s derived from the earlier engines.

kragg
Wiggling with Experience

Post by kragg » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:38 am

cnicht wrote:A non-keyboard version would be great too and keep the joystick! :banana:
Personnally, i am very glad to see a 37 full size keys version of it.
I can't stand 25 keys, and 49 keys is a pain to carry on stage or rehearsals...
To me, 37 is really the perfect size, and allows for nice playing .

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:56 am

£579 including VAT!!!! :banana: MODAL KEEPIN' IT REAL!

donato
Common Wiggler

Post by donato » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:38 am

missingtwin wrote:Looking forward to a rack mount/tabletop MPE
version of this synth.
Would be an instant purchase for me.
I have little faith in Modal's implementation of MPE. As much as I like my 002r, the MPE implementation is very poor, and others have reported the same.

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:59 am

Panason wrote:£579 including VAT!!!! :banana: MODAL KEEPIN' IT REAL!
my bad, yeah was just about to update this. Thats a fantastic price, i'll take two!

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:12 am

h4ndcrafted wrote:
Zymos wrote:I got a full demo of this today and was really impressed. Especially the performance side of things, there's a programmable arp and a sequencer that can record knob twists as well as (or instead of) notes (and chords). It isn't 100% finished yet, there was only 1 filter type. They say they hope to ship in November.
That’s great. Can I ask how you felt about the scaling of the encoders? My 001s were fine, but they did feel like they were offset and a bit prone to being changed easily , I just never felt comfortable with them like I do, say, on my OB6.

Did have that strange stereo reverby vibe that the 00x’s have dry? I know it’s more akin to skulpt, but I’m assuming that’s derived from the earlier engines.
Can't give good answers to either of those, sorry. I was mostly just listening while the Modal guy did the run through, and it was through speakers on the show floor. I'll probably swing by again today and check it out some more.

tron23
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tron23 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:09 am

Love the Syrinx look, hopefully we can closely listen to it in its full glory very soon.

Return to “General Gear”