Modal Argon8

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, lisa, Joe.

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:03 am

But was that a prototype and not a finalised production unit?

Xmit
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Xmit » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:27 am

^
good question... but as were a few of them ( 3 ? ) on the stand & no-one mentioned it was a prototype....? :hmm:

I got the impression that whilst firmware may ( will ) change, that's it for the hardware.

Don't get me wrong - it's a pretty cheap synth ultimately, I get that.

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:42 pm

[video][/video]

It sounds like they're prototypes from the commentary at the very start.
Still sounding good though.

ellitone
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ellitone » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:46 pm

:miley:

rowsbywoof
Ultra Wiggler

Post by rowsbywoof » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:58 pm

I doubt for this price point the build is going to be super-refined, but from a far it doesn't look cheap to me. The sound on this thing is really ticking all the boxes for me. I can take some wobbly pots and less than perfect case finish if it can hit these sounds at that price. I guess we'll see, though. :D

UltraViolet
Veteran Wiggler

Post by UltraViolet » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:53 pm

The Argon 8 they had at Knobcon was of good quality. It may have been a prototype since they are not yet in production.

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:36 pm

Price went up $50 bucks. I wonder if this is the reason why it hasn't been released
THUMPR BC SC

Torn n Frayed
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Torn n Frayed » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:42 pm

hawkfuzz wrote:Price went up $50 bucks. I wonder if this is the reason why it hasn't been released
I noticed that also, I think the original release date is Nov 25 so they're still on track for that..

UltraViolet
Veteran Wiggler

Post by UltraViolet » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:32 pm

They just had production prototypes at Knobcon. It will take them a while to get production setup and going. Hopefully November 25, but if they run into production issues, they will likely have to move that date back. It should be well worth the wait.

tehyar
I dream in SciFi

Post by tehyar » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:05 am

[video][/video]

Sounds great. Curious to see how this compares to the Hydrasynth. It’s a wavetable bonanza.

GavRL
Common Wiggler

Post by GavRL » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:29 am

tehyar wrote:[video][/video]

Sounds great. Curious to see how this compares to the Hydrasynth. It’s a wavetable bonanza.
think it sounds significantly better to me; obviously the Hydra's strong point seems to be the UI, but I've not heard any of the demos for that which grab me as much as this one. Will be ordering one today.

Xmit
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Xmit » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:37 am

this is a really nice demo, but I've got to say ( again - sorry ! ) having spent quite a bit of time playing both at Synthfest, the Hydrasynth was a much, much better sounding synthesizer. Plus better interface, deeper features & far superior construction etc. I guess that's why it's quite a lot more expensive though to be fair.

Don't get me wrong -for the £££ the Argon8 is brilliant - we're spoilt for choice at the moment.

Hermetech Mastering
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Hermetech Mastering » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:48 pm

Manual finally dropped, should answer a few questions, not had a peruse yet:

https://www.modalelectronics.com/wp-con ... ual_v1.pdf

Hermetech Mastering
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Hermetech Mastering » Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:26 pm

Something that is a deal breaker for me on a lot of digital synths, the LFOs aren't free running. It's why I sold my Waldorf Blofeld. After decades with analogues and modulars, I couldn't believe it wasn't possible to have a free running LFO, assigned to say the filter cutoff, with a slow rate triangle, so you could play some choppy chord vamps and have the cutoff slowly rise and fall as you play. On the Blofeld it would either retrigger with every note on, or there was a "free" mode, but what that basically meant was the LFO would start at a totally random part of its phase, on every note on. I can't believe the LFOs are so tied to the keyboard, they should be totally separate. You'll find it on some other digital and VA synths too. Infuriating!

Long way of saying, I just read the manual for the Argon8, and it says:
Both LFO1 and LFO2 can be set to Retrigger, Single and Free mode
Mode: Holding the Shift button and (or when latched in shift mode) turning this encoder
selects the Retrigger Mode. The modes are:

Retrigger - in this mode, each new keypress restarts the LFO and it the continues to run -
particularly useful for Unison/Stack sounds.

Free - in this mode LFO 2 is never reset, so it could be at any phase when a note is
pressed.

Single - In this mode, the LFO will start when a new key is pressed, complete cycle and
stop, but will not retrigger when a new note is triggered and one is already held.
So, of course, I want to know, is the Free mode really free, or does it just start at a "random" part of its phase on every note on? If someone could let me know when they get one, I would be very grateful, as it's make or break for me.

UltraViolet
Veteran Wiggler

Post by UltraViolet » Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:31 pm

Hermetech Mastering wrote:Something that is a deal breaker for me on a lot of digital synths, the LFOs aren't free running.
This isn't done just to annoy you. If you only have a voice configuration, then the LFOs are part of the voice and generally won't be free running in the sense you want. The solution to that problem is to also have an instrument level and place LFOs there. An LFO at the instrument level can be truly free running since it isn't in any way tied to a note. It can also be applied to multiple voices at the same time. This was a design requirement for me, but most don't seem to place a high priority on modulation capabilities. There are always design trade offs and only so much time for development.

Hermetech Mastering
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Hermetech Mastering » Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:21 am

Yeah, it's infuriating, so many synths don't have it. When I asked Waldorf about why the Blofeld didn't have it, they said to save CPU cycles or something. I mean my bloody Wavestation from 1990 had free running LFOs, so I am really not sure why it's not possible in this day and age. I guess it's just coming from a mostly modular/analogue background where all circuits are entirely independent, unless you program them not to be.

Anyway, OT rant over, but if someone could let me know about the Argon 8 when they get one, that would be great.

gminorcoles
Common Wiggler

Post by gminorcoles » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:49 am

Xmit wrote:this is a really nice demo, but I've got to say ( again - sorry ! ) having spent quite a bit of time playing both at Synthfest, the Hydrasynth was a much, much better sounding synthesizer. Plus better interface, deeper features & far superior construction etc. I guess that's why it's quite a lot more expensive though to be fair.

Don't get me wrong -for the £££ the Argon8 is brilliant - we're spoilt for choice at the moment.
this kind of declarative statement is rare and probably valuable. i am not getting either of these right way so I dont care, but I have to say that argon video posted above makes it hard to figure out, for a youtube researcher, the truth.

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:24 am

I really wish it had cv...
“no matter how fine you grind the dead meat, you’ll not bring it to life again“

GavRL
Common Wiggler

Post by GavRL » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:13 pm

I’m really excited about it. Definitely scratches an itch for me.

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:54 pm

onthebandwagon wrote:I really wish it had cv...
The only thing that made me sad, but MIDI will have to do for now for me.

Didn't I read the filter is changeable in future software implementations?
THUMPR BC SC

Qwave
Learning to Wiggle

Re:

Post by Qwave » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:01 pm

hawkfuzz wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:54 pm
Didn't I read the filter is changeable in future software implementations?
There are two filter characters available in v1.0:
Standard & Classic
And each of them comes in normal and in notch version.
In the notch version, the middle section of the MORPH parameter is not a bandpass, but a notch filter.

All in all , the Classic filter is more analog mild sounding. The Standard one more modern and brighter in character.
--
keep on turning these knobs

Till Kopper

peripatitis

Re: Modal Argon8

Post by peripatitis » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:07 pm

Form-wise and feature-wise it looks like a very nice synth. However what I;ve heard from demos is at least bland.

Here is an example of what I consider a proper demo btw. It is a synth I know very well and thru that demo you just get it's character.
No need to scan thru 1000 boring presets to showcase what?

deftinwulf
Wiggling with Experience

Post by deftinwulf » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:00 pm

peripatitis wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:07 pm
Form-wise and feature-wise it looks like a very nice synth. However what I;ve heard from demos is at least bland.

Here is an example of what I consider a proper demo btw. It is a synth I know very well and thru that demo you just get it's character.
No need to scan thru 1000 boring presets to showcase what?

The video that sold so many Microwave XTs...

mutierend
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mutierend » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:24 pm

My Argon8 arrived from Sweetwater on Monday. I set it up, tried it out for about an hour, and then put it back in its box to return it. I didn't like the UX at all, and the wobbly knobs were not inspiring either.

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:52 am

mutierend wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:24 pm
My Argon8 arrived from Sweetwater on Monday. I set it up, tried it out for about an hour, and then put it back in its box to return it. I didn't like the UX at all, and the wobbly knobs were not inspiring either.
wobbly knobs? wow... :eek:

bobeats states that the knobs are firm and way different than the (terrible wobbly) Craftstnth 2.0...

so are you saying that this youtubers are not that trusty? :mrgreen:

Return to “General Gear”